[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whining thread maybe ? did you guys pick a crappy art/game design

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 1475942650470.jpg (725KB, 832x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1475942650470.jpg
725KB, 832x1280px
whining thread maybe ?

did you guys pick a crappy art/game design school to go to too? wasting tons of money on shit that you could have learned on your own? wasting three years of your life with horrible hipster assholes who get a kick out of being an asshole to you for no reason?
i used to love drawing so much, it was my after school thing to do. practice, get better, etc.
now that i sit in school here with drawing as my "job" i have grown really tired of it. i never felt so uncreative and unproductive. i waste all my time playing vidya instead of practicing, because i feel like i wasted my life and money on this shit anyways and now i have no skills to deal with real life

does anyone else have situations like this? honestly no day passes without me wanting to kill myself at this point
>>
File: shootme.jpg (92KB, 1019x768px) Image search: [Google]
shootme.jpg
92KB, 1019x768px
>>2743826
I wasted 2 years of my life in a game design school that sucked dick because in the end there was way more marketing -classes than game design, coding or art -classes combined.

Kinda fitting since games are all about marketing these days but it still sucked.
>>
>>2743832
sufferin together famski
we dont even get that sadly
2 years were spent with classes held by unqualified "teachers" (some of which got fired for touching students and being neo nazis apparently) we had 2 weeks storyboarding in 2 years in this school
like 1 week marketing
most was just empty space of "just work on something we didnt explain and then enjoy your bad grade because we are not even going to tell you what you did wrong even though you pay us tons of money that your parents saved up for you that you desperately wish to pay back and then shoot yourself-"

they printed our endcards 4 times because EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY WERE FULL OF SPELLING ERRORS. im in the fifth semester and these cunts gave me my signed report cards for the first year NOW.
>>
>>2743826
I'm so mad at those who have money to go to these schools and just waste their time by saying they wasted their money. Here too poor for school, but too rich to get financial aid. This life is fucking killing me. I just want to draw and make some money already.
>>
File: 1442096494322.jpg (236KB, 965x1283px) Image search: [Google]
1442096494322.jpg
236KB, 965x1283px
>>2743826
Wasted 3 years getting a bachelor's degree that I would rather just erase and not put on my CV at all.
It's my own fault though. The school was easy to get into and I just assumed that it won't be completely useless (I was wrong)
Im preparing a portfolio to hopefully get into a good school next year though.
>>
I'll bite.

I walked out of local uni.'s "art" program, after a transition from a "real" art school, which was shit too. This was '08.

After stroking another $4,800 check that semester, which slammed my senpai every time I did it, my school still didn't have many supplies & I didn't know a damn thing about painting or proper drawing skills. $40k in debt, after paying $40k out of pocket, 3 years into a BA, and my spirit was done. I'd never felt so obliterated.

Fast forward to '14: I met some serious artists, rekindled some soul and studied (correctly) for a year. I'm dimensions beyond whatever the fuck was passing as art education where I was.

Do workshops, online learn groups and/or ateliers, not art school.
>>
>>2743977
Any tutorial that shows you how to execute all these layers and how to apply them to each other?

I keep trying but I simply can't into photoshop.
>>
>>2744016

I think there is a psd with all layers of this one. If there isn't, there is another psd with the same technique done by him. Some elephant character thing, called Phanty or something. I think it's on cgpeers
>>
>>2744018

and also a process vid
>>
>>2744018
>>2744019
> CGPeers closed

Do you happen to have the PSD handy? Would be awesome.
>>
>>2744039
here ya go

megafileupload dot c o m slash gjeW slash Phanty_timelapse.zip
>>
Glad to see I was right when changing my mind about a school of these
>>
>>2743977
You can do everything from there in one layer, I dont get these guides
>>
>>2744051
Thanks for sharing
>>
File: 1405105961270.webm (1MB, 960x520px) Image search: [Google]
1405105961270.webm
1MB, 960x520px
>>2744051
My man, u da man~!
>>
>>2744072
You can, but this process makes it easier to make polished looking variations of one thing for concept art
>>
>>2744081
Love that movie
>>
>>2743893
>"these schools are bad and steal our money"
>fuck why am i too poor to go to these schools

logic my dude
also if you want money art really isnt the way to go, thats more personal self fulfillment. the sakimis are fucking RARE.
>>
>>2744071
your future self is probably really thankful that his timeline got corrected
>>
I started studying Industrial Design and i'm still unsure if it's a good decision
>>
>>2743826
I'm going to a really small, low-tier liberal arts state university in the north-east of the U.S. It has an art department, with an art major, and you get to have concentrations for your major and what-not. I'm doing the illustration concentration. I got a full-ride scholarship during my second year, but EVEN THEN l am really dissatisfied with being here(in terms of art).

For me, it's not the teachers really that's the problem (though the curriculum fucking sucks nevertheless). It's my peers. Nobody has any drawing fundamentals, and nobody has any real interest in concept art or fantasy illustration. It feels like I'm in a desert. It's really, really depressing to not have competition in your classes, and nobody to talk to and have artgasms over good painting/drawing.

For my illust. class there's been a lot of tracing going on and it's literally bothering the fuck out of me. There's hardly any deadline stress and it is still the go-to. Nobody actually draws. Nobody is actually learning.

This is the other thing; people don't fucking make art on their own. They don't draw in sketchbooks, or fucking anything. You ask people what they did over the summer and you can almost be guaranteed they didn't make any fucking art, except a few people. FUCK. God I hate my school. Don't go to a shit school even if it's dirt cheap, even if it's fucking 8 minutes away from your home, and especially don't go if you plan on getting a job. Don't listen to your parents.

The only good thing about a general art education is you learn shit you'd never study on your own. Typography, dark-room photography, and fucking cardboard sculpture (fuck that professor he's a dick). You become a better artist but you're not going to get better at concept art or fantasy illustration, aside from improving your drawing fundamentals. It's like taking the slow route. If you want to be a better illustrator, it better be a fucking real illustration program, you hear me?
>>
>>2746538
Yes, but where do we find such things except the 40.000 euro fdz school.

Right now I have a gapyear which I planned on using to study art, but it's so goddamn hard to get myself on it. I lack the discipline. Hopefully the school I will go to next year will help me by using deadlines. Only problem is that they don't give a shit about fundamentals. They only care about artistic freedom and non-commerical bullshit like that. While I truly want to work for a company!
>>
I successfully won a lawsuit against a university of 'Art & Design' for failing to deliver on the criteria. However I also haven't found a physical place I can go to that isn't a waste of time and money, so I'm still fucked
>>
>>2747423
(1/2)You don't lack discipline, you're probably just interested in a lot of other stuff.

It's true that the school will force you to do stuff, but it's the summers between university that you absolutely need to take hold of to improve as an artist. Since your university will lack a lot of information, you'll need to get it all on your own. Solve the discipline problem now. or rather, the behavioral problem.

Deep down, I don't need to do art to be happy. I'm interested in a lot of stuff and gather a lot of joy in reading and learning about things. I just want to master art, or even more specifically, concept art. So I have to be a bit more clever with myself than others sometimes. You need to try to be more clever with yourself.

Anyways, I don't really know your situation. Are you the intellectual type of artist? Do you like learning, reading about art, etc? Well whatever the case is, just soak up a shit ton of art and look for inspiration. Read tons of books, or watch tons of videos, if you like those more. Forget about learning things in the proper 'order' (which doesn't really exist).

When you're in this 'scanning' mode, latch/pick on to the thing that appeals the most to you and wholeheartedly throw yourself into it. Hold nothing back. Decide exactly how much work you want to dedicate to the study. Maybe it's 300 gesture drawings, or 300 head drawings. It can also be an easy goal as well, so 100 gesture drawings, even, or 20 head drawings. Something wonderful will happen if you create a strong intention, no matter how unimportant it is. The more time and effort you give to it, the more meaningful it will become anyways.

For this, you'll want to create a realistic deadline. Perhaps you told your friends about what you want to do, or a family member. You want to be held accountable. Deadlines create stress, which go a long way in making you work.
>>
>>2747493
(2/2)
When you meet your goal, bask in your own glory. You dun a good job. Put all this kind of work where you work intensely towards a goal in one place. If you're ever depressed, you should go back to that place.

You can now relax, and float around for a while. Draw a little bit, but not on the same scope as before. Do whatever you do normally when you aren't making art, but make sure you expose yourself daily to potential inspiration. When you find that inspiration, something you want to dedicate yourself to, repeat the ENTIRE process. You can do this sort of workflow not only for learning deeply about art and fundamentals, but for doing concept development for stories and ideas.

Now about the alternate ways to learn. There is schoolism, for one. Scott Robertson's book, as well. http://libgen.io/search.php?req=How+to+Draw+scott+robertson&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def
Skillful Huntsman talks about concept development http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=DA47FD8A44330A72373DFC1D9BF7D0A4
John Park's foundation group patreon, which hosts other artists as well as himself, teaches concept art skills https://www.patreon.com/Foundation
cgpeers.com is a valuable resource for past videos. The design iteration videos are immensely helpful.
Rob Brown on YT has a pretty decent concept art community and teaching thing going on. https://www.youtube.com/user/RobBrownTV
People hate on FZD but his videos are very informative.
There are online CGMA classes, which is online concept art classes. There is Watt's online atelier for learning about traditional methods you'd learn in an art studio setting.
>>
Every time I try to push myself further, every time I try to go along with personal homework, exercises, I get incredibly demotivated, agitated at the smallest things, and give up because I feel like crap.

And the next day comes around, and I keep feeling the same way. I read material, but I can't apply it. I want to blame it on something easy like 'depression,' but it's my own fault I'm like this. I just don't know how to fix it.
>>
>>2743826
>whining thread
Nigga this whole board is about whining
>>
>>2743826
Wow I feel ya friend.
I'm in a similar situation only I went to a college that emphasizes concept over technique and isn't much for commercial arts. I hate being judged for my ideas and viewpoints, I try to make art that's meaningful to me but having people critique my ideas is actually so much worse than critiquing my skills and it's so depressing I can't even draw. Now I'm weeks away from graduating and I too, have no real world skills or investments to help me surivive.
The worst thing is making friends with people, than having them judge you for doing bad work
>>
>>2748094
>>2743826
>>2747549
I made a discord group for art university students. Let's try to motivate each other?
https://discord.gg/XfCyY
>>
>>2748106
perm link
https://discord.gg/scPySFK
>>
>>2748139
I tried it but it doesn't look like anyone's there.
>>
>>2748152
That's weird, I'm there, someone else is there, and someone is offline. If you mean there's not enough people, give it some time
>>
>>2748164
Never mind, I got it, sorry.
>>
I'm physically exhausted, I only have 3-4 more weeks until I'm done with the semester but I swear its like every minute fills like 3 hours in class.

When I'm home I think 30 minutes has passed while doing homework but its actually been 4 hrs. I saved a lot before going to ACCD but I think I'm finally starting to feel the stabs to my wallet due to semester final projects.(which I guess isn't too bad since the semester is basically over)

I haven't actually slept in 3 days, its been me take cycling between naps, hw, class, then hw again.

I've literally skipped classes (wouldn't advise, I managed but don't do it) to do hw for other classes I shit you not.

I can't go home because I can no longer afford it (because of supplies) for thanksgiving. I won't be able to see my little sister who I miss dearly.

I've witnessed 4 break downs within then span of 2 days. I think the only thing that keeps me going is my classmates(we've all become a family) and doodles. Seeing the dramatic improvement helps as well.

My only goals besides passing with a high GPA this semester is making a good enough drawing that my instructor wants to keep. It's like if your instructor keeps a piece or takes a picture of it for future students you know you're doing something right. I admire him so much, and his work. He has so much hopes that I'll deliver something great and I don't want to mess up.....god I don't want to mess up.
>>
>>2747503
(Same person you replied to)

Thank you so much. Thank you so much for taking the time to write something. To put so much advice in your post and even study material. I appreciate it greatly and thanks to you I feel very motivated. This was exactly what I needed.
>>
>>2748327
What major u in?
>>
File: noahblog.png (50KB, 740x383px) Image search: [Google]
noahblog.png
50KB, 740x383px
>>2743893
not sure how much /ic/ respects this man, but here you all go.
>>
>>2748327
Koreanbro?
>>
>>2748403

Illustration

>>2748429

Yeah, it's me.
>>
>>2743826
I'm still annoyed at myself for failing high school then being a minimum wage drunk for years.

And now I'm just getting in shape to join the army. I have no delusions about making it in art.
>>
>>2748682
Took a class in the 1111 building for the first time this term. Heard from some guys walking around that illus is dead. Is this true?
>>
>>2748427
>exploitation of studenty
my school is doing this A LOT
we get to draw shit, work on stuff etc
get mediocre grades

THEN THEY USE IT AS ADVERTISEMENTS FOR NEW STUDENTS???
funny thing is my class and the people who joined in our year got a really shit curriculum / teachers/ tasks / everything
but lookie there, the newer students get classical painting sessions, better equipment
OUR OLD EQUIPMENT THAT THEY TOOK FROM US FOR NO REASON AND SWITCHED OUT WITH CRAPPIER STUFF.
>>
>>2748695
soldiers are way more useful than artists senpai i respeck that
good luck
keep doing art on the side if you enjoy it mang
>>
>>2748964

Elaborate, do you mean the department is dead or finding jobs?

My term is full of really talented people, and its the biggest accepted group. So they can't mean there isn't a lot of students.

If anything the Entertainment Design is dead, I sat in on a few classes (got my classes btw for next term for those who were wondering) and it was empty as hell.
>>
>>2749064
>ED is dead at AC
W-what, how is this possible?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.