[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do i draw woodcut style? I dont actually want to do woodcuts,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

File: Fist.jpg (36KB, 297x400px) Image search: [Google]
Fist.jpg
36KB, 297x400px
How do i draw woodcut style? I dont actually want to do woodcuts, I just want to achieve that style with a pencil or pen. i recently started drawing about 2 months ago and I really just want to be able to create this type of art.
>>
>>2734860
Learn to hatch with a pen, use tutorials
>>
File: City.gif (15KB, 542x649px) Image search: [Google]
City.gif
15KB, 542x649px
or something like this.. i really like black
>>
>>2734860
>>2734865
Get a set of different sized (but probably fairly small) brushes and a bottle of india ink. Copy out some images you like to get an idea of how to control the line weight, then try it on your own.
>>
>>2734862
>>2734868

this won't really work sine woodcuts are reductive (you're carving away the white rather than drawing the black). plus you won't really be able to accurately fake the shape made by tools like a v-gouge, and imo the splintering, grain, and other irregularities of the wood are half of the charm, which separates the aesthetic of woodblock prints apart from even linocuts

though judging by this
>>2734865
those suggestions might work for what you want. they just won't really look like woodcuts.
>>
>>2734873
You make good points, but I don't think he is after woodcut-specific looks, just that bold style of thick line and flat black shapes. Also it is possible to imitate reductive techniques with pen or brush--Franklin Booth being the most famous example of someone doing this.

Another option for OP if they want to work with white on black is to try out scratchboards.
>>
File: Melencolia_I_(Durero).jpg (86KB, 247x261px) Image search: [Google]
Melencolia_I_(Durero).jpg
86KB, 247x261px
>>2734860
> I dont actually want to do woodcuts
baka, why? the gouges are more precise to work this style than the pencil. if you don't like wood you can try with linoleoum, is comfier imo.
Also the easiest way i think is do it on Illustrator, you only have to add/create the brushes for woodcut.
>>
>>2734888
>baka, why?
Not him, but the idea of woodcuts is pretty overwhelming for someone who has never done any printing. It sounds like it would require a lot of research and a lot of effort in getting the materials, setting up studio space, practicing with it as a medium, and each individual picture would take a lot longer than just a quick ink sketch that achieves a similar aesthetic. They may also not be interested in creating a whole bunch of prints but would rather just do individual original pieces.
>>
>>2734937
>I browse this board since a half-a-year or maybe a year pretty much daily
>The only thing I have drawn were ellipses and lines
/ic/
>>
>>2734860
since you're a lazy wanker, try scratchboard. It has a similar effect, and you still get that reduction look
>>
>>2734940

I deleted my posts because wrong thread:

>>2734887
>>
>>2734927
i mean possibly in the future when i've gotten better at drawing and what not but i just started 2 months ago and I don't want to jump straight into woodcutting.

are you the one that suggested >>2734868
>>
>>2734880
just check out his work. it doesn't look reductive. it does look similar to an etching or engraving, but that's a different method of printing where the incised lines hold the ink.

agree on scratchboards.
>>
>>2734927
you can buy a v-gouge and a cheap ass pine board and print with a wooden spoon...
>>
File: FranklinBooth36.jpg (966KB, 1183x1600px) Image search: [Google]
FranklinBooth36.jpg
966KB, 1183x1600px
>>2734956
>it doesn't look reductive. it does look similar to an etching or engraving, but that's a different method of printing where the incised lines hold the ink.
Well I mean he did work with pen and ink. I brought him up though because when he was a child he saw wood engravings and mistakenly assumed they were pen and ink so developed a way of drawing that mimicked them. Some of his work looks quite similar to wood engravings to me anyhow, but obviously yes upon scrutiny it is clear he is drawing in black.
>>
>>2734970
beautiful tho, cloud goddess.
>>
>>2734992
wow i didn't even notice those
>>
What I tend to do is draw out the lines to the weight I want them, then fill them in with brush and ink, rather than manipulating my brush. Pic related is a fairly simple example but you can get as detailed as you want with hatching.
>>
>>2735230
This looks tedious and retarded.
>>
>>2735230
Also the lineweight is wobbly and inconsistent.
>>
File: IMG_0092.jpg (66KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0092.jpg
66KB, 512x512px
>>2734865
franz masereel.......that sense of contrast. Hnnng.

son i am proud
>>
>>2735406
>>2735407

these are probably anime fags at home with a wacom. anon. Dont listen to them. Your inconsistency is your imprint. Exploit it, make it into something unique. Dont stress about having perfect lines. Just try and improve line quality the best you can, while keeping composition and contrast in mind.
>>
>>2735406
It may not be the most efficient use of brush and ink for drawing but it's a lot faster than carving and hand-printing woodblocks, while still maintaining the visual style.

>>2735439
Yeah, the first thing I learned in university is that no matter what you do, someone will always think you're doing your art wrong. I try not to let it bother me, but I appreciate what you said!
>>
File: IMG_0283.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0283.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2735446
np. heres muh shit from a while back
>>
File: IMG_0153.jpg (2MB, 2304x2790px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0153.jpg
2MB, 2304x2790px
>>2735459
finisheder
>>
File: biggamehunter.jpg (118KB, 585x454px) Image search: [Google]
biggamehunter.jpg
118KB, 585x454px
>>2735459
>>2735460
I dig it. While we're sharing finished work, here's what I posted earlier looks like. Resolution is shit but it's all I got.
>>
>>2735473
dig. would try and repeat the buffalo design more, because its strong. Maybe loose the arrow because its distracting. I am a fan of black-white-red, so long as the red is subtle enough.
>>
isn't that how woodblock prints are?
>>
File: biggamehunter2.jpg (62KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
biggamehunter2.jpg
62KB, 960x540px
>>2735488
I'm not sure if you can really tell from that image, but the arrow is an actual arrow in the wall. It was part of a performance piece I did when presenting the work.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.