[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Textures? It's been awhile since I've seen one of these

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: Texture practice.png (333KB, 1545x4800px) Image search: [Google]
Texture practice.png
333KB, 1545x4800px
Textures? It's been awhile since I've seen one of these threads, and I always enjoyed looking through them to see different takes on textures. Let's see some textures.
>>
File: 4twef.png (22KB, 283x443px) Image search: [Google]
4twef.png
22KB, 283x443px
Good luck OP.
The last time I made this thread, people were just dissing the template and no one contributed anything.
>>
>>2733396
Usually I diss the entire idea of painting textured cylinders like this. It's not a good way to learn materials in my opinion, and I also believe most of /ic/ is not at a level that they should be bothering with this type of exercise.
>>
>>2733398
What is a good way to learn materials in your opinion? No one took on the circle/ball template either. Besides, you wouldn't have to restrict yourself to those lines, just think of them like placeholders if you will.
And you can always try and then take a step back if you see the exercise is too hard for you. Who knows, might be fun.
>>
>>2733404
>What is a good way to learn materials in your opinion?
Still lifes, copying out (good) photos, reading up on the physics and theories behind how light and materials can interact, playing around in 3d programs and seeing how changing the settings on things affects how materials look, trying to paint different materials in personal illustrations and differentiate them (using references when necessary), thinking about and carefully observing different materials while out and about and taking mental notes on them.

Painting isolated cylinders on a white background is a bit useless I think, especially when many of the listed materials would never take a cylindrical form, and when certain materials that are reflective would need to be in the context of an environment to be painted properly.
>>
>>2733398
>>2733405
how about for fun? Is having a bit of fun frowned upon?

Something to do so you can get away from asking the same questions and complaining on whether anybody here will make it or not?
>>
>>2733396
I will contribute back and forth with you, if you're down for it? I'm terrible at drawing, but I don't mind.
>>
File: cyl.png (686KB, 850x1676px) Image search: [Google]
cyl.png
686KB, 850x1676px
>>2733405
You know what, those are some pretty fair points actually
Still though, you could basically tweak this any way you want and apply a lot of those things you mentioned here.

>>2733421
I did these a while ago.
>>
File: texture-cylinders.png (513KB, 1425x832px) Image search: [Google]
texture-cylinders.png
513KB, 1425x832px
oh hey that's the updated template I posted, neat

I never finished it myself but I did a few
>>
>>2733416
>how about for fun? Is having a bit of fun frowned upon?
You can have fun all you want. This exercise is pretty tedious and boring for most people though, so if you are forcing yourself to do it you should at least ensure it will be educational. If you find it fun then by all means go ahead.
>>
>>2733525
>pretty tedious and boring
I don't know man, they're just itty bitty cylinders. You just bash out a reference material on top of one every day or so instead of doing it all at once, play with it a little. You know, have fun.
>>
File: texturestudy.jpg (322KB, 481x1656px) Image search: [Google]
texturestudy.jpg
322KB, 481x1656px
>>
File: 6565467.jpg (815KB, 1000x3107px) Image search: [Google]
6565467.jpg
815KB, 1000x3107px
tried to do it with one brush and as simple as possible this time
>>
>>2733396
>pic
topkek

>>2733451
scales is hands down my favorite
>>
File: textures2.jpg (3MB, 3472x4911px) Image search: [Google]
textures2.jpg
3MB, 3472x4911px
When I imported the base the things disappeared so here's this instead.
>>
>>2737059
>subsurface scattering
what in the fuck
>frozen milk
fav
>>
>>2737065
>>subsurface scattering
I read it as shaggy carpet for some reason.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.