[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a misconception that depression makes you a better artist?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: celestina.jpg (59KB, 630x781px) Image search: [Google]
celestina.jpg
59KB, 630x781px
Is it a misconception that depression makes you a better artist? What's the cause?
>>
>>2731544
Who ever said this?
You mean crippling anxiety forcing you to stay inside for days on end and do the single thing that makes you happy and doesnt judge you makes you better at that thing? Wowee whoah no way ooh
>>
>>2731544
What? Depressed artists stagnate, regress, and flake on every project they touch. You don't get anything done when you're in an episode, you're lucky to get yourself out of bed.

The misconception is that every artist is depressed.
>>
It's some dumb romanticization of mental illness, the some reason you have people believing in "depressive realism" even when the original authors of that stupid paper recanted it and it doesn't make a lick of sense anyway.

These illnesses are not creative fuels, they are roadblocks.
>>
>>2731546
>you never get crippling anxiety over drawing
>>
>>2731544

A bit of melancholia that comes from excellent observation skills and some sobering, well-rounded life experience is helpful in the arts. Clinical depression not so much. Colors and sights are tiresome when you're depressed.
>>
File: a7KwpLe_460s.jpg (89KB, 460x574px) Image search: [Google]
a7KwpLe_460s.jpg
89KB, 460x574px
>>2731544
Yes, it's a meme. Basically part of all that pretentious expressing-yourself normie movement that thinks any art is good as long as it's made with emotions and when you're depressed you have strong emotions, thus you're a better artist
>>
>>2731557
>These illnesses are not creative fuels, they are roadblocks.

I needed to hear that, thank you
>>
No. When you have depression, you are unable to be productive. If you cant even get out of bed, you cant draw properly.
>>
>>2731589
Tell that to Frida Kahlo
>>
>>2731597

Never heard of her, but assuming she's your example of a depressed artist whose productive she's an exception, not a rule.
>>
>>2731598
Never heard of her? What? Are you 10 years old and is this your first day on an art-related webpage?
>>
>>2731544
It's always been the opposite for me. Depressed people usually make terrible art, because their negative emotions are exaggerated. As a result, all of their art comes off as edgy or immature, as their interpretation of the world around them isn't accruate. It only resonates with other equally depressed dolts. There are some exceptions, usually among the artists who understand that it's a personal problem, and not a problem with the world around them. Also, depressed people aren't very likely to be motivated to draw all day.

As for myself, my ability to draw and my imagination go through the roof when I'm in a good mood. It doesn't matter if it's a natural high, a post-workout high, alcohol or drugs. My willingness to experiment and try out new ideas increases, my observational skills increase, my ability to sense the depth and form of what I'm drawing increases, even my ability to judge my own art and see it through new eyes is better. Sure, it's a highly subjective state of mind, but the end result is that I work more, experiment more, try new things and don't worry about unnecessary bullshit.
>>
>>2731597
>Tell that to Frida Kahlo
She's utterly incompetent. Why don't you tumblrcunts go back to the hole you crawled out of?

>>2731601
>Never heard of her? What? Are you 10 years old and is this your first day on an art-related webpage?
I can't tell if you cunts are trolls or if you're actually this delusional.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.