[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Study for an hour >Play on the internet for an hour

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: 1416021922737.png (923KB, 3984x3424px) Image search: [Google]
1416021922737.png
923KB, 3984x3424px
>Study for an hour
>Play on the internet for an hour

FOR EVERY MINUTE, I HAVE TO WORK; I NEED A MINUTE OF PLAY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAJV2va9V9A
>>
what makes you so special?
>>
>>2730191
Nothing, it's a very common disease among people. It's called procrastination.
>>
>>2730188
>tfw work so hard and forget to take breaks
>burn out and take a whole day off for every 4 days
>>
>>2730217
>Taking a day off

You're probably better off just chilling out your schedule than doing that.
>>
>>2730188
Sounds like a waste of time.
>>
>>2730224
It is.
I don't know where I picked up such a horrible habit.
I've decided to go back to what I was doing prior to starting that shit.
>>
>>2730188
Trying to figure out how to. Got any tips? There seems to be a limit to how much a person can focus before they just do mindless work.
>>
>>2730188

It would be ok if you would get inspired in some way or use it in the future. Reading about the spiders of Amazonia might seem like a waste of time, but it isn't if you'll seek references after that and draw a spider yourself.

Sorting your photos and ebin menes isn't a waste of time if you pick something that interest you from it like some photo from vacations 8 years ago when you were so young and you would get gesture from it or some piece from background.

Problem is that you separate your work from your leisure time instead of combining one into another.

As an artist you are ALWAYS in work, you are owner of your own business. That doesn't mean you need to be workaholic (even though sometimes/often you need to put some extra time here and there), but to manage your life in proper way.

Playing game is only a waste of time if you don't get anything from it. If you would afterwards think about level design, colors, design choices - it would be ok. But no, you are just a sheep that wants to switch his brain off and go autopilot and not think at all.

It would be better if you'd kill yourself because at this point you are just deciving yourself and others.
>>
>>2730254
I guess you're right, but I'm mainly focused on the fundamentals of drawing, and not rendering.

I've just started learning anatomy, so I don't have any real time to get inspired to do anything. Anything I do at this point will just form a bad-habit in my drawing of human beings.
>>
File: image088.jpg (118KB, 1242x871px) Image search: [Google]
image088.jpg
118KB, 1242x871px
>>2730267

>focused on the fundamentals of drawing
>I've just started learning anatomy

Anatomy isn't fundamental per se: learning about lineweight, perspective, values, basic forms and light is.

Anatomy is intermediate step. Also

>I don't have time to be inspired to do anything

That's shit. Even if you are at very basic level you should play with ideas. Why draw dozens of hands when you can make a pile of cut left hands like egyptians did to their foes after battle?

Not only you complete a drawing (that is also a study), but you incorporate other things in it: perspective and how the volumes lay on top of each other, affected by gravity.

Do things right and strive for excellence in everything you do.
>>
>>2730222
I disagree. I can't speak for others, but for myself it takes me a good while to get warmed up to the point I feel like I'm learning anything new or getting more comfortable with what I know. Doing fewer hours a day really ruins any momentum imo.

Plus 1 day off every 4 days isn't as bad as 2 days off every 5. With the former you've worked 28 days in 35, with the latter only 25. Sure you should draw everyday but there's a difference between that and doing studies everyday. More frequent breaks that last shorter are a a better way of doing things. Work is important, but so are breaks.

And just to add I once read something on here along the lines of "if you take a day off, you'll notice it. If you take two days off, other people will".
>>
>>2730273
>>2730267

And to elaborate: you do it with everything.

Single skull study? Put it as still life on a table and with half-melted wax handle on top.

Lots of skulls, focusing on differences from gender, race and age? Roman/Parisian catacombs, put them on shelf, make some.

Hips? Bam, naked butts on the beach. Some standing upbright, some slightly bend, some with small hip sway, other with twist: small butts, big butts, old butts...

Goddamn, be creative even in your studies. Studies shouldn't all look like Bargue plates.
>>
>>2730280
>tfw reading this on mobile and the god damn spooky skeleton skull with trumpet is obscuring 60% of the post
>>
>>2730370
kek
>>
>>2730188
When you have something that's fun for you to draw, a lot of the time you end up taking a break from drawing by drawing something else.

I've been doing a 100 hour week (~14 hours daily, 7 days) since august, and it started off as literal hell, but I've hit a weird zen space where It's not even that big of a deal. I've probably gone insane or something

When i get bored with one part of a painting, I work on a different part. If I'm getting burnt out from book-work, I do personal work.
>>
>>2730508
>~14 hours daily, 7 days
wtf man
>>
>>2730508
>100 hour week
>tfw barley put in 3 hours a week
>taking a break from drawing by drawing something else.
You're gonna make it.
>>
File: 1366017516398.png (56KB, 198x176px) Image search: [Google]
1366017516398.png
56KB, 198x176px
>>2730508
Damn dude that's insane.
You're a NEET, right?
>>
>>2730536
lol @ pic
>>
>>2730508
>I've been doing a 100 hour week (~14 hours daily, 7 days) since august, and it started off as literal hell, but I've hit a weird zen space where It's not even that big of a deal. I've probably gone insane or something
What the hell

Making Feng Zhu proud
>>
>>2730558
Not even close to 16 hours
>>
File: 1471909786668.jpg (119KB, 732x799px) Image search: [Google]
1471909786668.jpg
119KB, 732x799px
>>2730508
>>2730558
>>2730613
>14 hours/day
>not 16
NEVER
GONNA
MAKE
IT
>>
>>2730631

>all those niggers working 16h/day for Feng
>giving him $40k+ for killing yourself over Robertson book
>meanwhile Feng enjoys luxurious lifestyle and lots of leisure time, frequent travels and vacations etc.

gg Feng, that's how you exploit retards
>>
>>2730645
That's not really mental retardation, but on a 2nd note it probably is.

They'd be better off squirreling away 40k and taking off a year.
>>
>>2730508
Did you build up to this or just start all out? I'm around 20-40 hours depending on the week. Id love to just get up to 60 hours even but if I miss 1 day of drawing then it feels like it takes a week to get back to my preferred hours.
>>
>>2730536
>You're a NEET, right?

Yeah man. I only have a year so I'm trying to optimize my time.

>>2730853
>Did you build up to this or just start all out?

I built it up. You'll burn out into a depression if you go all at once. I started out at 2 hours, then 4, then 6, and so on. Just NEVER work 16 hours. You need time to relieve stress, and a full nights rest In order to maintain this work ethic.

Give yourself breaks. For example, if you have 4 hours to work on art, but 5 hours of free time, give yourself a 15 minute break every hour. The goal is endurance. If you do it all at once you'll eventually get burnt out. Avoid multitasking if you can.
>>
>>2730896
I almost got to where you were but I fell off the deep end once again, recently. I know exactly what it was so I want your advice.

How do you keep a constant stream of things to draw, things to sketch, refs to look at? Do you have a list of things you need to study?

I get caught up in my thoughts of planning the next step and sometimes I get caught with my pants down (tired from already drawing, and cant really think of the next thing to draw) that I just give up and walk away to collapse on the sofa.
>>
>>2730896
Man, I'm trying to reach that pace for some time now, but I always spend MUCH more time actually searching what kind of exercises to do.

The only thing I really do is some gesture drawing, how the fuck do you know what do study and how? The only thing keeping me from practicing like I want is not having a schedule.
>>
>>2730896
Thanks man. I've been building up slowly but I've heard other artists talk about just jumping in and going at 12+ hour days out of no where. It's kinda disheartening cause that seems like a super human feat to me.
I average 4 hour daily with a couple 8 hour days a week.
>>
File: 1410054044862.png (343KB, 748x710px) Image search: [Google]
1410054044862.png
343KB, 748x710px
>>2730896
>Tfw only had 1 month and ran 5 hours a day
>It's quickly coming to a close

I don't remember how I even got anything done in 1 hour. It's just not enough.

I'm scared I'll go back to that
>>
>>2730972
I will never be able to deal with the fact that even hundreds of hours bring only relatively small amounts of gains. I know most of us dream of effecient hours but it will never ever happen.
>>
File: 1471916347210.png (885KB, 1070x799px) Image search: [Google]
1471916347210.png
885KB, 1070x799px
>Intend to ask my dad if I can study art for hours a day instead of going to college
>Don't know what he'll say

How good do you have to be to make 30k a year doing this?
>>
>>2731139

It's better to go art school really if you are serious.

$30 000/year is a lot depending on a country, even in USA you would have to sell $2500 worth of art/month which is substantial amount.

You have to be bretty gut 5/5 for that
>>
>>2731139
That won't happen until your pro level and are able to get consistent work, probably not for at least 5 years unless you get a studio job sooner.
>>
>>2731139
>tfw did this
>got absolutely denied with my hopes and dreams crushed
>don't even draw anymore
Don't do it, it's a mistake anon.
>>
>>2731139
if i were u i'd join an art academy instead. they're better and more inexpensive. you get to practice for a few hours everyday with guidance and it gives your parents the feeling that you're doing something "official" instead of making them feel you're an outlaw following your own private study regime.
>>
>>2731306
>school
>inexpensive
Pick one
>>
>>2731310
purdue is cheap and they'll send you to FZD for a year if you have an above average GPA
>>
>>2731287
>>tfw did this
>>got absolutely denied with my hopes and dreams crushed
>took a day job
>keep pursuing my dreams
smhtbqh familly
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.