[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna get a tablet, but I feel like the amount of work I need

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 52562245_p0.jpg (806KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
52562245_p0.jpg
806KB, 849x1200px
I wanna get a tablet, but I feel like the amount of work I need to do just to be able to get used to a intuos will affect the time I could use it for practicing on paper. Also, I'm not good enough at all, but is there a certain point where switching over to digital is considered okay?
>>
>>2727619
Spend at least a year or two working with a pencil first. This means regularly drawing, perhaps filling a sketchbook a month. Copy out anatomy books, study the figure, study perspective, study portraiture. Get the pencil moving and build up some basics in draftsmanship before getting a tablet, otherwise your progress will be really slowed down.
>>
>>2727619
It takes like twenty minutes to get used to it. If you can use a mouse, you can use a tablet.

If you're dedicated and already drawing, feel free to get one whenever. It's the jogging shoe problem, isn't it? Get one because you're motivated, not one to motivate you.
>>
>>2727625
>It takes like twenty minutes to get used to it
More like 1-2 weeks to get used to it, and maybe a month before it feels completely natural.
>>
>>2727635
Maybe if you're a dumb nerd. I picked it up off the bat, 20 minutes was being generous.
>>
>>2727704
Well I picked it up quickly I guess, but it still felt a bit awkward for a while. I was also getting used to trying to paint digitally for the first time too which might have been why the transition took some time, and this was all years ago so I might not remember it right.

I think different people take different amounts of time to get used to it though, and it's not really fair to say it only takes minutes to learn, especially if that might lead to frustration in someone who is a bit slower at adapting to it.
>>
>>2727635
>maybe a month
WOW A WHOLE MONTH WHO HAS THAT KINDA TIME?? The average life expectancy is only 80-90 years old!
>>
>>2727619
>practicing on paper.
use the korean technique like Hyung Kim-tae
>draw on paper
>scan
>load it on Corel Painter
>digital watercolor his ass
>uplaod to whatever deviantart, patreon etc
simple and effective
>>
There's virtually no adjustment time when going from pencil and paper to a screened tablet.
>>
>>2727619
If you don't want to waste time with a tablet, get a monitor with pen input instead. Drawing on glass feels weird for like a day and then you are good.

Also, why does everyone ask for an Intuos on /ic/ when they first look at tablets? Every week literally the same thread with the same question.
>>
>>2727819
I've been reading a lot about most cheap screen tablets are not as good as wacom branded ones. I don't really feel like paying the 800-900 for a first tablet like the 13 inch cintiq. So by default it's the intuos
>>
>>2727824
I would generally not recommend smaller screen tablets because they are too small, whatever company you buy from. 13" isn't even A4 and people prefer to draw on bigger sizes all the time. I went straight to 22" and that is actually useful and I feel it is a golden spot for size vs comfort.

As for monitor vs graphic tablet, they are different things. I use mine like a canvas I can draw on all day because it is also a monitor and I unlike a tablet I don't need to make some special arrangement on my desk because it doesn't share the space where I would e.g. put a book.

As for tablets for beginners, the only thing I can say is that you should make sure is that it has pressure and that the pen works without buying AAA batteries. Recharging over USB is fine, but batteries are cancer, too heavy and discharge randomly for all reasons. It really discourages using the tablet. Same if it was a monitor with pen input

Another thing is to make sure you don't care too much about that the surface is like paper. People love the feeling of paper, but it is not the best thing, because as an artist you need proper hand and arm control and a smooth surface makes literally for smooth drawing. Same reason artists use cotton gloves to glide better over the surface when they need to draw long, but complicated lines.

Meh, that wasn't really useful. Hope it still helped somewhat in not buying the wrong thing.
>>
>>2727622
>copy

be careful with that word
>>
>>2727704
This. What takes time is learning what the fuck to do in a painting software if you've never used it.
>>
>>2727619

You'll get used to a tablet in a week. You don't draw with tools, you draw with your brain.
>>
>>2727720
>korean technique

fucking Americans coming up with terms to calm their autism.
>>
>>2727619
>only one hand in view
>still fucked up
>>
>>2727619
It will take you like a month. You probably suck anyway.
>>
>>2727939
french
>>
Guys, how much will having a cheap prepackaged LCD monitor affect your painting? Is an IPS monitor that much better?
>>
>>2728765
(I have a Lenovo LI1921wA monitor)
>>
>>2728765
it's only shit if the colors change a lot depending on from where you look at it like colors disappearing or inverting.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.