[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

back in school i had always been the kid that was into drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: sans.png (947KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sans.png
947KB, 1920x1080px
back in school i had always been the kid that was into drawing (cartoonish things) and i was pretty good at it, at least when it came to expressing emotions.
for some reason i just kinda stopped drawing almost altogether in my early 20s, so i never really improved past a certain point (i'm 28 now).
i've been watching tons of tutorials about techniques, photoshop tips, etc. just because it still interests me and today i finally picked up a pen again and drew something (i had done so several times in the past, but mostly quick doodles that i deleted right away)
this crap took me several hours (a lot of that is photoshop lagging like crazy for some reason) and, looking at it, i can tell it's shit simply from a technical point of view. the outline looks like it was drawn with a pencil and so do the shadowy parts, but then the lighter parts are this ugly mid-2000s gradient colors and i'm not even gonna get into the incredibly lazy surroundings/backgrounds because that was just me being fed up with every click taking up to 20 seconds to register

anyway, have any of you ever been in a similar situation? always super into drawing and then just kinda lost touch and had a hard time getting back into it because you didn't really know where or how to start?
how did you overcome it?
>>
>>2722897
You could start by reading the sticky.
>>
>>2722960
i was more interested in the psychological side, not the hard skills which you can acquire anywhere on the internet
>>
>>2722964
You're just lazy.
>>
>>2722979
that's my theory, too
was kinda hoping i was wrong and that there was an easier way to overcome it, but i guess that just confirms it
>>
>>2722897

I'm in a similar situation, pretty much the same story. I loved to draw throughout my teens, in my early 20's I pretty much stopped. I wanted to get into concept art and professional illustration so I had really high standards that I never lived up to. That, plus the usual early adulthood anxieties got the better of me. It just sucked donkey balls to sit down with a blank canvas and constantly judge whatever I drew.

I am 28 now as well, recently earned myself a bit of spending money, and for some reason I felt inspired to take up drawing again and buy some digital tools. I feel like I've outgrown the past baggage with life experience and am more patient and less judgmental with myself. So I find art more fun than ever before. I just accept that I'm really rusty and try to put as much hard work into it as possible, study as much as I can. It feels more meaningful than wasting time watching series, playing video games or getting drunk. There's no best-before date on practicing something you love. It's a great outlet and I don't really think about it more than that, it comes automatically.
>>
>>2722988
Get a sketchbook and draw when ever you feel like it, And when you've gotten a feel for it, draw in it every day.
>>
>>2722997
that's like creepily similar. what digital tools did you get?
i've had a first gen wacom bamboo for years but recently upgraded to the smallest cintiq they got (13-something, i think?)

>>2723091
i might give this a try, back in school that was always my favorite canvas (and i kept all of my old school notebooks cause they're full of "memes" of the times back then and it's always nice to have something so contemporary to look back onto)

thanks for these replies!
>>
>>2722897
Im in a similar position, though im ten years younger than you. Keep drawing, we'll all make it
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.