[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>sold my first piece of commissioned art At what point can

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: e12.png (400KB, 692x577px) Image search: [Google]
e12.png
400KB, 692x577px
>sold my first piece of commissioned art
At what point can a person call themselves a professional?
>I see people selling DeviantArt adoptables for points using the moniker
>>
If you are able to support yourself from art alone and live at least decently - then you are professional.

Selling commission is nice one step towards the goal, but really, you won't be able to pay bills from $50 commissions.

Also, you are professional when you behave professionally - be polite and fast-responsive to clients, asking for their budget ir alternatively stating all your terms, deadlines, schedule for project, number of fixes you are willing to do for free etc., having a contract, keeping self-imposed deadlines and quality...

If you are like that and a lot of people are willing to pay for your work/queue for it, then you are a professional.

Alternatively - working in studio.
>>
As the other anon said I'd argue it's when you can make a living on your craft, even if it's a modest living. He has a good point on acting professionally too. I mean you can have professionals who "act unprofessional" but it's unbecoming.

I mean if you really want to split hairs on the term "profession" then you could say you're a professional as soon as you get paid, but you can get paid by somebody for a lot of things. If some guy throws you $10 to help him move his couch you're not really a professional mover.

>>2720494

>but really, you won't be able to pay bills from $50 commissions.

Depends on your popularity and workflow. Keep in mind if you were pumping out two paid commissions a day at that rate you'd be beating most mcjobs.
>>
>>2720494
>but really, you won't be able to pay bills from $50 commissions.
>implying
It depends on your location.
Because of currency exchange etc, where I live, in Poland, doing 2 commissions per week would be enough to rent a flat and pay your bills (it costs around 1600PLN = 400$).

Doing whooping 3 commissions per week would give you 600$ = 2400PLN per month which is quite decent. Average teacher in a high school earns that much.
>>
>>2720558
All of that quickly shatters when you need to buy some imported goods, doesn't it?

A tablet or a pair of brand-name sneakers still costs the same in Poland (or in my case, Slovenia) as it does in Germany, even though our wages are 100000000000000x lower.
>>
>>2720558
So what about taxes and social securtiy? Don't you have to pay those in poland?
>>
>>2720576
this

I had to work 3 months for my tablet in the case I got my parents pay everything for me, so all my salaries when into that
>>
>>2720578
You're right, I overlooked taxes.

If commissions aren't your main source of income, then you don't have to register a legal name and you don't have to pay social security. In that case you should write a contract and put your income in PIT (Personal Income Tax) - you'll have to give up 18% (VAT) of your income.

If you're a professional freelancer, then additionally you have to pay social security: for first 2 years it's 100$/month, later it's 250$/month.

I guess the best way would be working in some art studio (to avoid social security taxes) and doing commissions on the side.
>>
>>2720578
taxation is a theft
>>
>>2720656
kek
>>
>>2720576
Im moving to poland
>>
>>2720494
>Selling commission is nice one step towards the goal, but really, you won't be able to pay bills from $50 commissions.
I get about one $50 commission every two days and usually a $20 every day, sometimes two or three. Last month I made over $1600 which is more than minimum wage here. You're dead wrong, I'm assuming you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>2720784
Post your art.
>>
When it isn't a hobby and you base your taxes off of your sales.
>>
>>2720831
No.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.