[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gesture Edition

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 53

File: Gestures.jpg (76KB, 1000x550px) Image search: [Google]
Gestures.jpg
76KB, 1000x550px
Let's work on gestures, gestures of anything. This is fundamental in how we should be seeing.

Because we should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises.
Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make your mom proud.

AVOID asking unrelated questions, there is a question thread for that.

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES TO ~1000 PIXELS:

#1)
>screenshot the image and post that instead (I recommend ShareX)

#2)
>change camera capture settings to something smaller

#3)
>send to computer and resize in MSPaint

→ →
There's a new (and cleaner) sticky in town! You can see it at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98/edit#bookmark=id.15jx3pyuimvj

>Thread study: Try to draw/paint the opening or any other following images.
Feel free to post your original works as well if you're trash.

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

Old Thread: >>2716318
>>
File: 1105-800.jpg (114KB, 800x497px) Image search: [Google]
1105-800.jpg
114KB, 800x497px
http://artists.pixelovely.com/
>>
File: IMG_7268.jpg (178KB, 1608x1608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7268.jpg
178KB, 1608x1608px
>>
File: image_1.jpg (1MB, 3993x2276px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
1MB, 3993x2276px
>>
File: image_2.jpg (93KB, 747x635px) Image search: [Google]
image_2.jpg
93KB, 747x635px
>>
>>
>>
File: big-pics.jpg (56KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
big-pics.jpg
56KB, 615x410px
>>
File: f-infanticide-a-20141115.jpg (735KB, 2200x1467px) Image search: [Google]
f-infanticide-a-20141115.jpg
735KB, 2200x1467px
>>
File: DSC_0124.jpg (397KB, 1000x1500px)
DSC_0124.jpg
397KB, 1000x1500px
halp, I know how shadows work, and can see them pretty well, but my hand dexterity can't do its fucking job

;_;
>>
>>2719807
This has got to be the funniest picture in this thread.

To actually willingly do references of solid shapes you can easily find around your house from a photograph as a beginner is hilarious.

What a joke.
>>
File: photo.jpg (75KB, 900x900px)
photo.jpg
75KB, 900x900px
>>2719802
Do I realy need to know how to draw skulls THAT detailed to be able to draw decent heads?
>>
>>2719823
Pretty much. There's a lot to drawing the head. From my experience understanding the underlying structure, aka the skull, helps tremendously in drawing believable heads.
>>
>>2719823
Yes, desu
>>
>>2719822
Phew, what a bait.
>>
GESTURE BATTLE
>>
File: fig1.jpg (715KB, 2000x1635px) Image search: [Google]
fig1.jpg
715KB, 2000x1635px
a collection of the figure drawings i have done over the past few days

what should i be thinking about when doing figure drawings in the future?
>>
>>2719799
its not competition so announcing how fast you doodle up poop just seems bratty and stupid. it doesnt improve your quality or make you better artist
like you can wipe your ass in five seconds, it was fast but wasnt necessarily effective
>>
File: elephant.jpg (50KB, 863x853px) Image search: [Google]
elephant.jpg
50KB, 863x853px
>>2719866
>implying capturing movement quickly isn't necessary.

fuck outta here, any logical minded person will tell you that speed is critical for certain things. aka gestures. It's how you warm up for one thing, you know i'm actually not even gonna explain further haha, you'll learn at some point.
>>
>>2719836
Watch villpu, you are not doing these well whatsoever. Which is okay, everyone starts out a little rough. I recommend watching how other people do these, be it proko or whoever. You haven't made the transition to actually capturing movement.

So in short, watch other artists do it. DO THIS EVERY DAY OR OTHER DAY http://artists.pixelovely.com/

be ready to do it hundreds of times before it clicks.
>>
>>2719836
Dude, you're not aiming to improve. Drawing a lot doesn't do shit if you do it mindlessly.

Look briefly at Fun with a pencil and then spend the next 3 weeks doing Drawabox, one step after another, with patience. Lay figure drawing off for a while, until you learn to draw steady lines and think in 3D, at least.
>>
>>2719801
I see the spined micras in my backyard all the time. They have some strong ass web and for some reason really like pine trees.
>>
>>2719823
It's easier than it looks desu.
>>
>>2719876
im working on steady lines, what does it mean to think in 3d?
i've taken a look at drawabox before, i can do everything i see there. am i mistaken?
i've read fun with a pencil.
what do you have to say about the post before yours recommending i grind more figures?
>>2719874
>>2719876
what can i do to improve (excluding mindset) what advice do you have about my construction lines? what aboiut the implementation?

thanks in advance.
>>
>>2719823
>do I need to put effort into what I'm doing if I want to not be shit?

Yes.
>>
File: WIN_20161020_18_03_22_Pro.jpg (66KB, 454x380px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20161020_18_03_22_Pro.jpg
66KB, 454x380px
Part 3: I finished the general form and colors for one ninth of the picture
>>
>>2719889
Draw more, your construction should be helping you not confusing you. Work on your fundamentals. Also do what I said in my previous post. Watch villpu
>>
>>2719895
any particular videos? any particular fundies?
just keep grinding figures? what about the man above who said to take a break from figures?
>>
>>2719898
Jesus fucking Christ, stop trying to get people to hold your hand. You have enough information to get better. It has already been handed to you. Now go fucking figure it out.
>>
>>2719907
very few of the questions i have asked have been answered.

this general is for giving advice to beginners, thats what its for. its better that i am thinking of precise questions to ask than just simply posting my stuff.

i think you should reconsider your mindset.
>>
>>2719912
Not gonna make it
>>
>>2719914
beginner thread for discussion, critique and advice for beginners
>beginners asking questions and for advice is discouraged
ok
>>
How do I draw a dot?
>>
>>2719921
Read the Sticky, Needs more Loomis, symbol drawing.
>>
>>2719918
Are you truly that dense? You've been given everything and more.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (42KB, 541x743px)
Capture.jpg
42KB, 541x743px
critiques and rec please
>>
this thread is actually terrible
are there any actual experienced artists here or is it just beginners giving "advice" to other beginners?

why do most studies go uncritisised, why do most questions go unanswered?
>>
>>2719930
I like the brow ridge and the values but unfortunately the eyes and mouth are symbol drawn, that kills it for me
>>
>>2719939
It you don't like it, then leave. Some studies go unanswered because we aren't all knowing beings. Sometimes the problems are so obvious we get tired of telling people to loomis and stop symbol drawing. Sometimes somebody posts work and the only real thing to say is "Great, on to the next".
>>
How do you draw a blank sheet of paper without moving your pencil?
>>
>>2719946
hi i'm anon and i inherently dislike concise and logical questions.
>>
anyone have any experience drawing while standing up at an elevated table? I have physical issues that gets worse by sitting down
>>
>>2719950
lmao what are you retarded? i shouldnt have to spoonfeed you this information. this much should be completely obvious even to you, i can tell because you are asking.

i've already mentioned EVERYTHING to you about this subject, just read this post again the info is all there.
>>
>>2719950
its probably fine, there are people who work at computers standing becasuse of back issues, you'll get used to it or find another solution.

might make it easier to draw from the shoulder.
>>
How do I put a piece of paper on a table?
>>
>>2719940
thank you, will try to improve this
>>
File: draws.jpg (256KB, 1600x1113px) Image search: [Google]
draws.jpg
256KB, 1600x1113px
I did some quick sketches, 30 sec and longer.
But the 30 sec ones sometimes don't even resemble humans. Can it be harmful to do quick sketches before drilling some proportions and manikin construction in my head?
>>
>>2719871
>It's how you warm up for one thing
while I agree that gesture is a great warm-up, I'd suggest not doing it exclusively as such. Because when warming up your brain is the most out of focus. So either extend the gesture session past the warm-up phase or do another ~20 minutes of them towards the end of your drawing session. That way you are more likely to get some done when in a flow state.
>>
File: WIN_20161020_20_36_05_Pro.jpg (69KB, 420x580px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20161020_20_36_05_Pro.jpg
69KB, 420x580px
>>2719835
>>
Theory?:

Follow up gesture tries a different approach, assuming each feature has its own vanishing point, which is relative to the other values and so always the same angle. This much is fine, but assuming that one feature that has a relevant equivalent shares the vanishing point with the relevant equivalent isn't. From here: Try and find a method of using the vanishing point only to pair together features that are not capable of independent movement (i.e: Shoulderblades and hips), and then build the other features by allowing each feature to extend to a certain length (the length of the feature), do not go higher than this; when the feature is foreshortened: decrease the maximum length of the feature by the amount it is foreshortened by.
>>
File: WIN_20161020_21_20_28_Pro.jpg (177KB, 818x692px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20161020_21_20_28_Pro.jpg
177KB, 818x692px
>>2720043
This example is wrong, because it assumes each feature that has a relevant equivalent should align to the same vanishing point, and not only the features that are not capable of movements that don't have to be copacetic and opposite in nature. So: The anorexic man without a penis might have uneven lengths of constituent parts; this because this construction philosophy does not limit the X axis and there is not set length for ligiments. This is necessary to attain an anatomically proportionate drawing. So, first: the figure that I want to create needs all ligiments measured from a front, passport view to start with, and then foreshortening can be applied by subtracting a certain amount from the length of the feature according to a choice mathematical equation involving how girthy or anorexic the man's torso measures, because this is what pushes the mirrored features closer towards vanishing.
>>
>>2720047
/ic/: If you see any holes in the theory I have devised: could you point them out so that they can be corrected? I understand that this theory wouldn't work for the head or for thickness of the muscles; this is just for the placement of body-features and setting how large the outermost part of the torso is.

You got the chips,

~Heathin
>>
File: u3.png (576KB, 1316x959px)
u3.png
576KB, 1316x959px
some of my doodles
>>
File: Scan0123.jpg (282KB, 1876x1336px)
Scan0123.jpg
282KB, 1876x1336px
Should I continue with this or move on?
>>
>>2720053
Stop smudging edges; if you want to give shadows, make it clear they are so and avoid making it look like you washed the drawings.
>>
Does loomis have an ass tutorial??
and if not could someone post one a good one?
>>
this looks pretty much like shit, i used to have no problem with anatomy before but now i dont even know what to do with the legs? maybe i should go back to basic fundamentals and perspective
things like this make me wants to kms
struggling, help
>>
File: helpme.jpg (395KB, 4000x2000px)
helpme.jpg
395KB, 4000x2000px
Please help me out d/ic/ks i dont know what to do.
I want to produce some more "finished" pictures to get that patreon dough rolling in the future.
When sketching / studying i dont mind the feeling that the pics are merely a by-product of me learning to draw, but my inability to produce something appealing when i try to is frustrating and i dont know how to deal with that inability.

Trying to paint somthing (1) its obvious i severly lack in everything value and colour, but dicking around i produce something thats slightly finished looking (3) which i personally like a lot - but i doubt people will be digging this "style".

Picture (2) shows what i dont want to go back to. It sickens me enough that i was drawing like this in the past.

(Obviously (1) and (2) i did not finish)

I feel by the time i have the fundamentals down so i can go to study colours, refine some kind of rendering technique let alone a personal style i will have starved, i kind of hope there is a feasable way to start producing appealing images while im still a beginner (as stated above, id like to get around $100-$200 a month, that would covor all my bills and i could avoid working while still in university).

Any and all thoughts and advice very much appreciated.
>>
>>2719816
I dont really have anything useful for you, i am below your skill.
If that would have been a digital painting i would say "use a bigger brush".
There are a lot of small shadow-y patches that distract from the actual form of her thigh, belly and upper arm.
Having to "sum up" details and kind of exaggerate would make the form of the body more clear i think.

>>2719836
Construct the body to convey form and weight better.
Also
>thread title

>>2719995
>the 30 sec ones sometimes don't even resemble humans
Thats completely fine
>Can it be harmful to do quick sketches before drilling some proportions and manikin construction in my head?
How could it be? Do you know something i dont?
Keep at it, the occasional good gestures will cease to be the exceptions. Also try to do gestures until youre sick of them, then do 20 more, as some anons are discussing here, do them past the point of warming up to reach "the flow"

>>2720061
Just copying a photo wont do you much good, try studying anatomy then go back using a photo reference but only in aiding you where to place muscles or even better in the conscious decision to emphasize some parts and simplifying others.
Youre on the right track but you are jumping ahead of the fundamentals (of character drawing).
>>
>>2719799
>name: /beg/

at least the last op did it right
>>
>>2720111
>There are a lot of small shadow-y patches that distract from the actual form of her thigh, belly and upper arm.

that was my try of halftones in the light or shadow area. man shits hard. thanks though, I appreciate it!
>>
File: erre.jpg (2MB, 1920x2784px) Image search: [Google]
erre.jpg
2MB, 1920x2784px
curently workin on this, any advices, critique?
>>
>>2720130
>halftones in the light or shadow area

what I meant was halftones and reflected light
>>
File: 1sq.png (1MB, 689x1007px)
1sq.png
1MB, 689x1007px
>>2720131
sorry
>>
>>2720133
legit thought this was a figma display at first
>>
File: Untitled1.jpg (117KB, 996x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.jpg
117KB, 996x1000px
>>
>>2720133
The pose looks awkward as fuck. You should learn how limbs rotate when they move. Her right thigh appears side on but then somehow twists halfway down into the knee cap facing front towards the viewer.
>>
Here's one thing I just talked about with a friend. I like to take the gestures I draw. If I have to do a pose or an expression, I'll take it. I'll look like a fucking idiot while doing it but I've found that it helps a lot. This felt fucking embarrassing when I worked at a production company and I had to do it but fuck. I really recommend it. Even if you're drawing from reference you should definitely try doing it yourself.
>>
>>2720131
Yeah.. make it more original. If your guna copy then copy but if ur trying 2 make oc at least swap the colors so its not so obvious
>>
>>2720143
not bad
>>
File: 1475793359077.png (3MB, 600x6667px)
1475793359077.png
3MB, 600x6667px
>>2720133
yet another victim
>>
File: shit.jpg (190KB, 835x652px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
190KB, 835x652px
i make meme :D
>>
File: killin_me_smalls.png (329KB, 1000x1000px)
killin_me_smalls.png
329KB, 1000x1000px
Killing me with the 1000px max resolution.
Anyways, I draw autistically slow, hence why some of the 1 minute ones aren't even close to finished. The bottom most developed on there I spent some more time on.

In hindsight I focused far too much on form for a 1 minute gesture drawing, so I screwed the pooch there. Sorry dad.
>>
About to start on Keys to Drawing. Are there any things I should consider while trying to learn from this book? I don't currently have access to life drawing classes, and I don't know if trying to study things from my monitor would be counter-intuitive. I would like to get to a point of drawing characters from imagination, but I'm also trying to get started on the fundamentals right now. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
>>
File: IMG_2072.jpg (396KB, 1470x1001px)
IMG_2072.jpg
396KB, 1470x1001px
How to stop being a pussy, and draw people from the front, while drawing in the bus/coffeyshop etc?
>>
So after about 6 months I came to terms that I just can't draw well on a tablet without a screen. I think over the past 2 years my hand/eye coordination has gone to shit. The tablet I use is basically 1:1 to my monitor. I feel like I have to actually watch my hand as I draw or else it goes off to space. The funny thing is that I've started to actually like drawing traditional again.
>>
File: IMG_2092.jpg (287KB, 1200x982px)
IMG_2092.jpg
287KB, 1200x982px
>>2720374
Also, should I keep going to figure drawing, or focus my practice time to learn perspective?
>>
>>2719816
Draw out the core shadow with a line first. Right now it's just smudgy and gross. If you at least draw in the core shadow, you'll know exactly where to contain your shadows and be able to block them in. After you block in your shadows (it looks like you're using wash pencils? I can't tell if it's wash or what), you can diffuse the more rounded shapes and blur or smooth out the core shadow. Meanwhile you can leave other areas more sharp and crisp, like the folds in the back or where the arm raises. Proko does something similar in this video iirc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pVufSOk61I
Albeit he uses a brush to paint in the background and block in some subtle gradients on the form, but that's nothing you have to worry about right now.
>>
what do I fucking DO what are the fucking exercises

how am I supposed practice constructions? how am I supposed to practice perspective? I can't get better at drawing people if I don't go out and do it, but I can't

there's so fucking much to do where do I begin, how the fuck are any of you doing any of this

FUCK FUCKKKK
>>
i want to use this ref for a gouache painting study. i dont like the white background and want to use a light grey. would that work with the colors of the figure?
>>
>>2720392
>how am I supposed practice constructions?
figure. animals, etc

>how am I supposed to practice perspective?
thumbnails
>>
>>2720379
I like your studies of boxy furniture, I should do that more.
>>
File: resize ref.jpg (114KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
resize ref.jpg
114KB, 500x800px
>>2720397
oops forgot ref
>>
File: 0257.jpg (25KB, 551x515px) Image search: [Google]
0257.jpg
25KB, 551x515px
>3 years later
>still in the beginner thread
I hate all of this so much.
But there is a voice in the back of my head that says I can still make it if I try.
I'll have regret if I don't.
>>
>>2720379
The people in your neighborhood look excessively curious; If you constantly apply yourself to the task then you might not be distracted by what that particular person out to think of you. Any discouragement they may give: remember that such discouragement is born of a pathetic fallacy, where the objects around them are applied emotional qualities based on an internalized information of their movement and simulation of sound. Such a pathetic fallacy will alow them to correlate illogically that some external force has adjusted their emotions, simply because their particular indivisble brain has an initial teleological outlook that by tradition and by virtue of reason applies emotions to objects in their environment that are otherwise qualia. Or, in other words: mental notions of suffering based on the actions of external bodies and frustrators is a lie.

Know this, and then even if they are mad at you for drawing them: the madness isn't justified.
>>
>>2719799
Why do you get worse woth more time?
>>
>>2720381
thanks!
>>
>>2720095
humble bump ;_;
>>
>>2720406
>3 years later
bro, when i started there wasnt a beginners thread, and everyone got torn to shreds by mad cunts in the draw thread.
>>
>>2720095
You're never gonna get enough on Patreon with a low skill level. Go buy a canvas and some cheap paint and do a shitty impressionist painting, sell it on amazon for $100. Should take you about 5 hours to do and casuals won't be able to tell how shit you are.
>>
>>2720465
Patreon aside (i just wanted to explain why i want to draw finished things; im nowhere near starting to hope to earn money in the next months/years) is there no way to draw *appealing* pictures while still a beginner?
>>
>>2720406
>>2720462

>been here for almost 2 and a half years
>came in time just early enough to catch the beginner threads right while they were still being numbered and had only single digits
>been told to go to the draw thread a couple times
>get shot down
feels like limbo
>>
>>2720466
You could try the Pixiv anime artist approach; disregard anatomy and line art and work on the pretty colours.
>>
File: 1021160152-1-480x650.jpg (66KB, 480x650px) Image search: [Google]
1021160152-1-480x650.jpg
66KB, 480x650px
>>2720401
i guess it works so far
>>
>>2720478
Thats kind of what i dont want end up doing. I started out moving in that direction but got really disappointed (in myself) after visiting /ic/ opened up my eyes to turd polishing (amongst other things).

>I feel by the time i have the fundamentals down so i can go to study colours, refine some kind of rendering technique let alone a personal style i will have starved, i kind of hope there is a feasable way to start producing appealing images while im still a beginner

I dont want to neglect anything and practice "the right way" - you are saying i need to suck it up and accept not producing anything that could get appreciated by non-artists for now?

Thx btw to
>>2720465 and
>>2720478
for your thoughts
>>
>>2720481
It's good to see you changed your mind, most of you guys don't take the first step.

And yeah you need to suck it up and wait till you're better.
>>
File: 1412466911874.jpg (150KB, 1387x805px) Image search: [Google]
1412466911874.jpg
150KB, 1387x805px
>>2720482
Thank you.
Its back to work then.
>>
>>2720480
my advice next time is to do the paint the background color then wait for it to dry. Sketch your figure and paint it.
>>
>>2720503
i think i need better paint. every time i try to paint on top of a another color they just bleed together. thats why i try to avoid blocking and painting on top
>>
>>2720509
>bleed
are you letting it dry completely?
If it's affect the color maybe apply a thicker layer
>>
>>2720511
yes i should have said blend. but for example, on the figure itself. i try to put this really light yellow color on top, it doesnt matter if it hasnt been watered down, it just activates the color below it and they start blending. i mean the color ends up lighter but its not the color that's supposed to be 'covering' it if that makes sense. ill just work on it more next week and see how it goes. figure seems to be surprisingly simple compared to digital as far and the painting aspect goes
>>
what methods does one use to construct the body to convey form and weight better?
>>
>>2720542
That's a very broad question. Go read Figure Drawing by Michael Hampton or watch some Vilppu videos.
>>
File: my days.jpg (83KB, 1387x805px) Image search: [Google]
my days.jpg
83KB, 1387x805px
>>2720483
i dont think ima make it
>>
>>2720462
>>2720468
On the topic of being torn to shreds, when you're on /ic/ you have to have thick skin. Also, more importantly, you need to be able to recognize when you're being attacked instead of criticized. There are a couple of regulars who give the same "crit" to everyone in a very nasty way. You've probably seen them and know who I'm talking about. Best to just ignore them. The only advice you should ever consider from /ic/ is advice to do with your drawing. Not your skill level, subject matter, whether you'll make it, etc.

PS, the nastiest critiques come from the weakest artists here. That particular nasty guy got overconfident a few months back and tried redlining a guy he was trashing. It was laughably bad, he deleted it the second somebody commented and to my knowledge hasn't posted since.
>>
File: IMG_2115.jpg (334KB, 1400x886px)
IMG_2115.jpg
334KB, 1400x886px
>>2720400
Thanks bro. Yeah its surprising how interesting just everyday things/objects can be to draw.

>>2720408

Thanks for taking your time to write such a thorough answer! Yeah, you are right, just focus on doing the thing and ignore the fear of getting confronted about it. I doubt that there's even a big chance anybody would care enough to comfort me.
>>
File: ic.jpg (228KB, 1387x805px)
ic.jpg
228KB, 1387x805px
>>2720676
>>
File: WIN_20161021_20_20_06_Pro.jpg (46KB, 247x524px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20161021_20_20_06_Pro.jpg
46KB, 247x524px
Would someone be able to look like this in real life?
>>
>>2720760
work on your ellipses
>>
>>2720786
If they were able to look like this: would they be considered of general posture and anatomy for a male? We discount the lack of a penis here
>>
>>2720468
As >>2720682 said, the verbal abusers here are just talentless trolls. If they nothing of value or substance, ignore them. The most common are, "lrn anatomy," "needs more Loomis," "lrn 2 form."

If they're not offering suggestions for improvement or explaining where and how you fucked up, they're just shit birds who likely can't draw themselves. Most of the people in /ic/ are beginner to intermediate with a few advanced. The ones constantly assaulting are the people who draw complete fucking garbage and won't post own work. A couple have even been busted using art in private galleries so reverse image search won't find them. If they can't help you, they're worthless as artists.
>>
>>2720374

I'm amazed everyone on that bus had the same nose!
>>
File: notgonnamakeit.png (399KB, 1387x805px) Image search: [Google]
notgonnamakeit.png
399KB, 1387x805px
>>2720762
>>
File: ddec165da91369835cee51156c4dddc1.gif (99KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
ddec165da91369835cee51156c4dddc1.gif
99KB, 2550x3300px
I'm so... fucking frustrated right now. How do I go from "mannequinized" humans to actual humans? I don't fucking get it. I almost want to quit because I feel like I wasted all my time doing this robo bean bullshit.
>>
>>2721194

First resize your fuckin drawings nigga.

Second, are you really doing 'this robo bean bullshit'? The drawing you provided shows very minimal understanding of form. The robo-bean vocabulary makes me think you're working off of Proko - did you do the standard beans? Do you know how to draw a cube, sphere, or cylinder? Your image indicates none of that.

The point of mannequins is to basically provide a simplified human figure. It makes shit like perspective and foreshortening easier, and helps you get a pose right before you render. But if you don't understand 3D forms you're gonna keep getting the stiff 2D stuff you did there.

Draw some cubes, draw some spheres, draw some cylinders. Draw them at different angers, in perspective. Show the form, use cross-contour lines. THEN start applying that to mannequins. As it is, it's very evident you don't understand how forms work, which is probably why you're struggling so much.
>>
File: random shit 2.jpg (57KB, 623x1011px) Image search: [Google]
random shit 2.jpg
57KB, 623x1011px
>>2721205
Pic was unrelated, it's not mine. Just picked an image of google. Here's some random shit I did yesterday. I just don't know how to get from this to a real human bean. I have tried doing it but it ends up looking shitty. I see other people do it and I don't get how they're able to have it look so good. I'll post an example
>>
File: aewg.png (119KB, 544x357px) Image search: [Google]
aewg.png
119KB, 544x357px
>>2721219
Here's an example, this guy's construction just seems so much more organic, even though it's just boxes and cylinders. I don't know how to attempt arms and legs because my cylinders look like lego men
>>
>>2721219
did you skip the structure video where Stan said to practice drawing boxes from life? wait until you understand how to correctly draw a box from any angle, then do many exercises with robo-bean, then move on to mannequinization. when you're done with that just start his anatomy series to learn about the skeleton and muscles to put on the form.
>>
>>2721219
So you learnt how to represent the human figure with boxes and now you want to learn how to represent it with Proko's bean method. Why not just build off the box method into a fully realised drawing?
>>
>>2721219
>Pic was unrelated, it's not mine. Just picked an image of google.

Stop that.

As for your image, it's actually better than the shit you fished off google so you'd have been better off posting that in the first place. Posting random images you didn't do yourself doesn't help anyone, better off posting your own stuff so people can tell you what you did wrong.

Anyway, going from mannekins to actual anatomy can be a challenging step certainly. If you did Proko's tutorials, personally I find spherical beans (IE the step before the robo bean) more 'organic' than the square ones. Generally the human body is more round than square. That said, knowing the square ones is still useful because understanding squares and rectangles is incredibly useful as soon as you start working with perspective, so don't worry, you're not wasting your time. Perhaps experiment with the Loomis example of the Mannekin (pic related), I personally like it. Still, at the end of the day what mannekin you use is a matter of personal preference. It's something to be built on top of.

>>2721221

For your example I understand what you mean. His looks more example largely because he's using more rounded forms. Compare yours to his - he uses cylenders for the legs, and rounds the edges of his cubes, and then uses a cylinder for the head. A bit of perspective also makes it look slightly more dynamic. If you haven't read perspective made easy give it a go, perspective can help a lot when working with basic forms.

When it comes to transitioning from a mannekin to a more finished human figure a lot of it is practice. Consult some anatomy books - there are plenty around, check the book thread. Personally I like Bridgman, but there's also a book called Anatomy for Sculptors (I think) which breaks things down very well.

Good luck, anon. Going based on your example, you're doing fine.
>>
>>2721233
Thanks for the detailed response. For some reason I didn't think anyone would think the image I posted was mine... I wasn't thinking.

I have been following proko pretty much from his first video up until anatomy. Really struggling with mannequinization. I will look for some anatomy books like you suggested. Do you just build the anatomy off the bean/robo bean like adding clay?
>>2721231
I guess based on what I've been told I just don't know anatomy well enough to "block" off muscles and shit. Proko says to use shapes for what you see, but fuck if I know what's underneath that big bulge behind the leg, and I don't want to guess.
>>
>>2721261
>Do you just build the anatomy off the bean/robo bean like adding clay?

Basically, yeah. if you're working digitally it's even easier. You do your underdrawing (IE the mannekin), and then reduce opacity and do your more detailed rendering on top of it.

Rendering takes practice, your first few tries will look like shit guaranteed, but the underdrawing is worth doing. It sucks when you polish a turd, rendering a poorly constructed drawing. No matter how fancy your rendering is, it'll look trashy if the fundamental parts aren't in place, and basic construction is there to make sure everything is in place.
>>
I can't even flip the image to try to see defects any more, it's like my brain's just figured the trick out. It just looks the same :(
>>
>tfw had a a dream about failing to draw jojos characters who themselves were failing to draw female figures.

a-am i in too deep lads?
>>
>>2721367
Youre only at the first level my boy.

If Vilppu asks you which bowl of soup you want, always choose the green one
>>
anyone know where i can get a large collection of lewd anime figma images? theres sofbooru but that has dicks in it
>>
File: Capture.jpg (124KB, 749x989px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
124KB, 749x989px
I'm on the Loomis Figure drawing book.

Am I supposed to perfectly copy these parts or just get a grip on the proportions?

At what point am I supposed to move on?

Until these are completely burned into my brain or what?
>>
>>2721433
Just practice them until you feel as if your comfortable with drawing manikins in any position you'd like.
>>
>>2721445
Ah, ok. Thanks.
>>
>>2721445
how can i tell that my mannequins are correct without filling them out?

not the anon you replied to but i;'ve been thinking about this lately.
>>
>>2719835
>ctrl f
>over 100 posts
>only one gesture battle post
w-what has happened to this board?
>>
>>2721477
gesture battles are too dangerous, folks realized that and stopped accepting them
>>
>>2721478
If you dont die from the gesture battle, you die from infection later on
>>
What the fuck do you actually do to draw hair? Copy every fucking single strand of hair that you can see?
>>
who ever the fuck created this beg thread is a god damn fucking retards, how am i supposed to find it from catalogue when ITS NOT IN THE MOTHER FUCKING TITLE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
>>
wew
>>
>>2721522

>Copy every fucking single strand of hair that you can see?

No that's exactly what you don't do, it looks bad that way.

You want to get the basic shape of the hair as a mass first. It only needs a few little details here and there to indicate the texture.
>>
>>2721524

The same idiot who just named the questions thread /QTDDTOA/ in the name field I guess.
>>
File: socks.jpg (277KB, 1000x1333px)
socks.jpg
277KB, 1000x1333px
keys to drawing, first exercise.
clearly I'm missing something.
>>
File: hand.jpg (268KB, 1000x1333px)
hand.jpg
268KB, 1000x1333px
>>2721536
keys to drawing 2nd exercise
but some day I'll figure it out.
>>
>>2721539
Keep it up anon.
>>
File: heart of the sea 45min failure.jpg (128KB, 800x1033px) Image search: [Google]
heart of the sea 45min failure.jpg
128KB, 800x1033px
>>2721596
thanks, I took a break from the book, but that only made things worse.

I saw the "draw from a movie" thread and now i spent 45 minutes on this.

I did the outlines in 30 min and tried to "draw with shadows instead of lines" but that doesn't seem to work for me, also the paper is kind of rugged i don't think that helps either.
>>
>>2721599

You have lots of symbol drawing in it, really finish keys to drawing it's a great starting point
>>
>>2721536
>>2721539
>>2721599
don't worry family man, keep doing the exercises and going through the book, you need the mileage, it gets better
>>
>>2721599
Get some printer paper, it's smoother.
>>
I wasn't feeling it at all today.

>>2720788

Damn, I didn't realize how bad I am with ellipses, thanks for the crit, anon.

>>2720851

Shit your right. I haven't looked at folks' noses hard enough, and clearly just drew them from memory. I will be observing harder in the future, thanks for pointing that out anon.
>>
File: gestureaday.jpg (246KB, 1100x2000px)
gestureaday.jpg
246KB, 1100x2000px
Practiced some gesture today 2-5 min each to gain some speed. Still looks stiff to me and a lot of anatomy errors. But it's a start.
>>
>>2721861
Your fundamental skills are not up to par to attempt stabilization without having obvious flaws that aren't a result of your "style"

Draw from life a lot more
>>
>>2721878
Thanks for the advice. Since I started out drawing anime weaboo crap I suddenly realized the importance of real life drawing. I'm in a slow transitioning faze right now but picking up vilppu and other artists helped me grow towards a better understanding of life drawings. Stiff suffering from bad habits drawing anime stuff over the years.
>>
>>2721893
No worries. Just keep grinding. Also work on the chickenscratch
>>
>>2721836
>I wasn't feeling it at all today.
It happens, just don't let it bring you down. Everyone has those days, even professionals
>>
File: q34tq34tq34t.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
q34tq34tq34t.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>2721861
Too much detail for gesture. Gesture is one of the most simplified methods of construction. Don't focus on details like facial features, fingers, belly buttons, muscles, etc. In a full drawing that comes much later than gesture.
>>
NEW THREAD >>2722073
NEW THREAD >>2722073
NEW THREAD >>2722073
NEW THREAD >>2722073
NEW THREAD >>2722073
NEW THREAD >>2722073
NEW THREAD >>2722073
>>
File: 1472642677138.gif (1MB, 229x258px) Image search: [Google]
1472642677138.gif
1MB, 229x258px
Yknow, in my first couple months I thought drawing was going to be easy. Everything came to me so quickly.

Then I hit anatomy.

I now I realize this shit is going to take years to do well at all.
>>
>>2720369
top left is super fucking nice to look at
>>
>>2719816

youre focusing too much on outlines and not enough on using light and shadow to render forms
>>
>>2722087

>I now I realize this shit is going to take years to do well at all.

Yup. A quote that always keeps me grounded was by Vilppu in his drawing manual.

"The pace of learning of any given subject, after the initial rapid advancement, seems to move upwards in ever shortening steps, while the time between those steps seems to stretch out longer and longer until we begin to wonder if there is any movement at all."

It's not exactly inspiring, but it makes me feel better when I feel progress is slow that I'm not alone.
>>
>>2720408
Drawing people who don't want to be drawn is weird no matter how you look at it.

Though, security cameras film people 23/5 so it's not like drawing them is any worse than that really.
Thread posts: 158
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.