[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know what happened to Keun-chul Jang? I've been

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: KeunchulJang.jpg (1MB, 1750x1491px) Image search: [Google]
KeunchulJang.jpg
1MB, 1750x1491px
Does anyone know what happened to Keun-chul Jang? I've been wondering for a long time now.
>>
He never actually stopped doing art or anything, his work just gradually got worse over the years and I have no idea why. He was someone I looked up to once. Such a shame
>>
>>2719631
>gradually got worse
i never got this. how? especially if youre still drawing regularly
>>
>>2719625
anime is harder to draw.
>>
Some brain disease or maybe even cancer. The way he slowly got worse over time seems to point in that direction.
>>
>>2719644

This. Disease or mental collapse.
>>
painting with references vs painting without

either that or he used to have Jaime Jones' brush and then he tried to make his own.
>>
>>2719625
>>2719631
>>2719638
How the hell does this happen
Im scared
>>
>>2719644
>>2719656
>yfw it turns out he's a perfectly healthy human being
>>
>>2719644
Or he could just be getting lazier/bored with art in general and is perfectly healthy.
>>
>>2719693
This is happening to me and im terrified. Im finding stuff from 5 years ago and its way too similar to what im producing now
>>
Can someone's skills naturally devolve this much?
>>
>>2719693
He pumps out way too much work for that to be true. He's still disciplined.
>>
>>2719720
That might be the problem. He could be sacrificing quality by trying to pump things out quickly. You see this happen with patreon people who get paid per piece, the quality of their work goes down but most of the patrons don't notice or care so there's no incentive to improve or push harder. Why spend a month on an image when you can do 4 worse images in that time and get 4x the money?
>>
You cherrypicked some of his worst recent pieces, OP. If you go through his DA his work is all over the place, but usually fluctuates between the top images and the bottom. He isn't necessarily better than he used to be but what I line it up to is that he rushes out a lot of his works and didn't arrive at a consistent quality - which is true of many artists, they just don't publish their bad art. He seems to post quite a lot of pieces, so it probably includes his failed pieces.
>>
painting in lab mode vs not painting in lab mode
>>
>>2719732
I don't know the guy but it might just be that he doesn't push through on all of his pieces for them to be good.

If he's like me, it's totally plausible. I can have a massive disparity between attempts at anything, and I usually need to paint hair, clothing or faces between 3-5 times before they reach a good level.
>>
>>2719688
don't worry if you're at the bottom of the pit you can't fall any deeper
>>
scary
>>
>>2719775
A good artist can do a quick sketch look really awesome, while a bad artist, even spending like 3 months, will only end up with a overly rendered crap.

The case of this guy is just something I've never seen before, or he massively used references before or he had some weird brain damage.

Seriously, it simply does not happen normally to anyone, not at this scale.
>>
>>2720086
take a look at his gallery

this anon is right >>2719732
>>
>>2720086
>A good artist can do a quick sketch look really awesome, while a bad artist, even spending like 3 months, will only end up with a overly rendered crap.
True, though no artist is perfectly consistent. Especially for quick sketches the quality will vary a fair bit, and you just may not realize it because those artists never post those images online. Some artists are less consistent than others too.
>>
>>2719625
A turd polisher, that stopped polishing his turds.
>>
>>2719720
That sounds like the quickest way to burn yourself out.
>>
No, this is not just someone working more on one painting and less on the other, as is evident with some of his older sketches and work in progress shots. Keun-Chul never seemed to use references back when he posted on CA.org, so it's not that either. I vaguely remember him having issues with depression and he stopped posting artwork completely for about half a year or more. During that time he deleted all of his old work (and even accounts as far as I can recall) and then started to paint tons of mediocre concecept art, mostly with stiff looking humanoids coupled with generic armor and he still does that to this day with no sign of improvement.
To me this seems like therapy, like his highest priority is to keep his mind occupied. I'm not sure how well mental issues are treated in South Korea but from what I've heard you're pretty much fucked once you develop depression or anything similar. Judging from some of his photos it seems pretty evident that he's unhappy with life, at least.

If it's really a case of severe depression, I sincerely hope he'll get over it. It's something a lot of us have to struggle with and it pains and scares me to see somone like him fall.
>>
B E N G U S Syndrome
>>
>>2720086
>A good artist can do a quick sketch look really awesome

This really depends on the artist's priorities. Many artists with really nice sketches view sketching as an art unto itself, while many just use it as the base that they plan to paint over. A good painter can have unappealing utilitarian sketches, and a good sketch artist might know shit all about painting. "Artist" is a pretty varied skillset with lots of ways to specialize.
>>
>>2720484
I think this is the answer to the OP. Any source?
>>
>>2720484
When my ex was cheating on me my art made a 5 years step backwards in quality.
Now two years later im better than before.

Mental issues play a large role in artwork quality
>>
File: keunchuljang_pixelart.png (10KB, 240x348px) Image search: [Google]
keunchuljang_pixelart.png
10KB, 240x348px
Some of his color choices reminds me of pixel art.
>>
>>2720086
"A good artist can..." A good artist can produce good pieces of art. You're just dumbing things down to two types of artists and pretending that's the only possible solutions. What if someone needs to spend 3 months to get good results ?
>>
>>2719625
photobashing
>>
>>2719709
yes
mental disease
>>
Looks like extreme depression..dayum thats sad
>>
>>2720121
>>2720614
That's just an exageration to serve as example. I just mean that if you're at a "X" level, there's always certain a variation, but the basic knowledge will always be there and in the OP pic, it seems like a 100% different person.

>>2720882
>What if someone needs to spend 3 months to get good results ?
Then I doubt it will be really good. As I said before, it'll be simply an overdone, tryhard, piece of art.
>>
>>2719625
be young Keun-chul Jang
>I wanna get popular asap
>start photobashing and shit, almost no painting skills needed at this step
>that looks good and everyone loves it
>get popular
>time passes
>fuck it gets boring and I feel bad because I haven't improve my painting skills at all, everything I do is photobashing and it's not the ideal I planned to be when I was younger
>anyway I already have a big fanbase who cares if I post shit
>start study for real
>it is shit
>someone makes a 4chan thread about it
>>
>>2721388
Do you know what photobashing is?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.