[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

being a game developer is my life dream. but how do I overcome

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 147629534615.jpg (12KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
147629534615.jpg
12KB, 216x233px
being a game developer is my life dream.
but how do I overcome the feeling that I will die alone, being a failure with only shitty games and nobody giving a fuck about me.

I ask you here because you guys also are artists and share also this feeling.
>>
You'll never escape this feeling. You have publish whatever you want regardless of what the reception is. Don't pussy out.
>>
>>2719075
You feel this way because you set your bar way too high, have some humility and be realistic about yourself so you wouldn't disappoint yourself by these false expectations.
>>
Who cares about what other people think of you? Just try learning what you want to learn because of yourself, not others.
>>
>>2719075
Work your ass off and be social.

Stop making excuses.
>>
Have better dreams, there's more to life than videogames you know
>>
>>2719075
What does
>the feeling that I will die alone, being a failure with only shitty games and nobody giving a fuck about me.

have to do with
>being a game developer

op?
>>
>>2719103
games are too hard to make.
>>
>>2719075
you're combining your problems in one big problem. That's not good. You wanna seperate your problems so you can focus on one of them at a time to effectively get rid of them. In your case you have a problem in you social life because you're feeling alone and you have a problem with your career, scared of not making it.
Focus on one at a time in a completely different way then the other one when you're doing stuff. This helps me when I got problems.
>>
video games are pointless and worthless

learn a trade
>>
File: 1341245647058.jpg (75KB, 467x300px) Image search: [Google]
1341245647058.jpg
75KB, 467x300px
>having dreams
>>
>>2719075
You have to define success. It's different for everyone. Success is subjective. In other words, what is "making it" for you? Is it selling 10 copies of your game, 50, 1000, 10,000,000? Is it having your game in the top 20 of twitch? Is it seeing your game on Steam? Maybe it's having someone come up to you at a convention and tell you how much they love it?

You have to define these things. Otherwise, you'll just float aimlessly, depressed, not really knowing how you feel, only having this vague definition of success being "make the next League of Legends" or "be the next Taylor Swift". Those things are stupid, and 99.99% of the most successful artists never aim for superstardom.
>>
>>2719106
Even a shitty game is one that got made.
>>
>>2719075
Where are you from, OP?

Earlier today I legitimately saw an ad on a dating site for a guy in the same exact situation as yours. You even sound the same, down to equating video game programming as an art (which I agree with)

Now I really want to reply to that ad :(
>>
>>2719075
What the fuck is a game designer anyway?

Games are made out of a combination of different skills. Is a game designer an idea guy? If it is good luck with that lol.
>>
>>2719469
I think it's actually one of the code monkeys, just in an admin position. So they're kind of an idea guy who also pulls their own weight, design levels, that shit. 'least from what I've heard.
>>
>>2719075

Well you just have to best Notch. Good luck
>>
File: 1475949067012.png (162KB, 399x388px)
1475949067012.png
162KB, 399x388px
I have gotten to the conclusion, is fine I die alone, is fine if I die without recognition, is fine if I die poor.

In the end we all going to die, should I care in my dead bed that I got money and fame while doing shit I don't care for a bank or making shitty websites?

Should I be happy simply because I finished a lot of small games?

Isn't a small game, while small a proof that I was able to reach my dreams and be able to gave to the world, even if petty and insignificant, a small tear of beauty?

Isn't that enough?
>>
>>2719711
Op don't be tragic now, try live a life worth living; don't just do games because humans are not fucking machines and need to develop social skills to be healthy and creative. Everyone is gonna die, but you can decide how and in which state of mind. If you only make games, you are gonna die regretting you haven't done anything else. You won't even enjoy it that much because of the monotony. If you only do that, the results WILL BE mediocre because of your lack of sociality. You would have counted nothing in your life, not even for yourself. This is a bitter way to die. Try to find a better ending.
>>
>>2719719
not really, I didn't implied I lack socializing, I'm an asocial person.
Is the dream I had since I was a teenager, I'm almost 30 by now (27).

Why I focus so much in games?
Because they have everything I want to learn in art, pretty much they touch all arts, from music to 2D animation to 3D to writing and so on.

They're fun.
>>
>>2719711
not gonna make it :')
>>
>>2719711
So, anon, tell me. What games have you made? what amount of effort and time did you put into making said games? Are you promoting your works? Getting connections?

Or are you some slob who thinks he's going to make the next undertale if he puts a few hours into RPG maker?
>>
>>2719767
I've made small 2D games, nothing too complex, because I'm just beggining.

I think my main problem is that I don't do PR or marketing because I believe they hold no value.

hitting the second year mark, I do hope to make a good game when I hit the 10 year mark.
>>
OP, I have the ambition of making a (relatively simple - probably a 2D RPG) game with all my own art assets. I'm still shit at art though so I'm not even starting on learning programming yet.
>>
>>2719770
>I don't do PR or marketing because I believe they hold no value.

Don't be an idiot. Have a website set up with your portfolio and download links. Spread your games on forums and other places asking for criticism and playtesting. Make a god damn youtube account with snippets of gameplay.

>being a game developer is my life dream.
>being a failure with only shitty games and nobody giving a fuck about me.

Don't come here for a mental handjob. The other worthless deadbeats on /ic/ will try to join your little pity party and fan the flames of your "boo hoo woe is me" attitude.
I want to know what your games are, because when I can't see your work, I can't give a fuck about you or your games. Show me something.
>>
>>2719814
https://itch.io/profile/ca3games

>inb4 they're crap and you suck dick
>>
>>2719818
Well, I beat the nigger game. It was terrible but it was the best out of your catalog.

Here's the thing, anon.
These games are crap, and by extension, you suck dick. And I'm really reeeaaallly hoping that in making these "games", you're on the path to sucking less dick. Keep learning, because right now, your shit aint worth shit. Like, not even worth playing for free.

>Because they have everything I want to learn in art, pretty much they touch all arts, from music to 2D animation to 3D to writing and so on.

How about you actually apply yourself to make something meaningful instead of ripping assets and music and making shitty memes. It doesn't have to be something big, but something that shows that you have integrity and want to put effort into the things that is apparently your dream in life. If you're still learning, that's okay. You're going to suck when you first start. But don't give up now because you can't be arsed to put some effort into your shit.
>>
>>2719888
yeah, I guess I should simply stop crying and get gud.
>>
>>2719711
>die without recognition
thats going to happen even if you design the most popular game ever played. ive been playing large title franchise games since i was fucking 9 or some shit and i couldnt even tell you the name that ceo nintendo guy that died a while ago not to mention some wagecuck employee
>>
>>2719079
>thread
>>
>>2719079
This is one of my problems. I picture all this cool shit in my head to draw but I don't have the skill to recreate it and it's frustrating and makes me want to kill myself
>>
>>2719075
>I ask you here because you guys also are artists and share also this feeling.
I've never had this feeling because my self esteem isn't utter shit.

Quit being a bitch dog, that's all there is to it. Trust yourself, put in the work required to have the abilities to do what you dream of, find some solid friends to fall back on and handle your shit. It's honestly not that hard once you get some momentum going
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.