[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so this piece is pretty impressionist, but manages to get more

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

so this piece is pretty impressionist, but manages to get more depth than i've ever seen from similar works in the style. what's been done differently here? is it just the strong values?
>>
Strong values in combination with a solid execution of perspective helps create the 4 different distances of each mass (front, middle rocks, slightly more far away rocks, ocean)
>>
>>2719036;
a bunch of particular factors I think

you've got a small block of light (hat) in front of a large and distant volume of dark (cliff sides) in front of a much larger and much farther volume of light (sea)

i like the composition, it seems calm and subdued but if you squint the values are arranged fairly dramatically.

liked and subscribed
>>
>>2719036
it's pretty shit senpai
>>
>>2719036
Carefully observed values and shapes. The way teh sea is painted too shows the perspective really well so the distance seems immense.

If you like this style, check out Winslow Homer, his use of shape and colour and general style was pretty similar to this.
>>
>>2719047
post work dipshit
>>
File: merc_wip.jpg (571KB, 916x1100px) Image search: [Google]
merc_wip.jpg
571KB, 916x1100px
>>2719049
flash me faggot
>>
>>2719047
The artist that painted this has won more prizes than you.
>>
>>2719062
>implying prizes mean anything
Though I do think the painting is pretty nice actually and that other anon is just trolling so you guys shouldn't be responding to him
>>
>>2719047
Top kek.
Bet she's painted more female nudes than you have. And her watercolors were GOAT.
>>
>>2719036
Compasition
>>
>>2719036
I'd push the silhouette of the distant rocks back a little bit more. They're a little bit too strong.
>>
>>2719036
Nicely applied rule of thirds, and appealing color choices. 10/10, would save again.
>>
>>2719036

Apparently they refer to her work as being part of the english impressionism movement, but it doesn't look much at all what you would normaly call a impressionist painting. It's pretty much just a shittier version of what the skagen painters were doing. The values are pretty good, but the edge work is really lackluster and the gesture and anatomy is stiff as a board.
>>
>>2721929
>the edge work is really lackluster and the gesture and anatomy is stiff as a board.
I think that is a matter of taste really. This is just the artist going for a different aesthetic of having simple shapes of flat tone without any fancy brushwork or edges. Think maybe like Edward Hopper or for a more contemporary example then Simon Stalenhag. These guys are obviously going for something different than the edges that Kroyer (to use your Skagen example) or Zorn would want. The figures are also just sitting there so there's not like any crazy twisting gesture required and to me they don't look too bad especially from a distance and when you aren't analyzing them closely.
>>
>>2719036
i wouldnt call this impressionist. this is more just a standard illustration. sure there's some imitation of impressionism in the brushstrokes on the water but there's very little "impression" of the colors, values, and shapes... it's more realism.

especially the palette. a lot of great impressionist works have limited experimental palettes and this seems more standard illustration in it's colors. sure if you use every color you'll get more depth because your darkest color is darker than if you limited your reds, blues, purples, and earth tones, but that's not necessarily a superior method to what the impressionists were doing. a lot of great works of art are created with as few as three colors and a white.
>>
>>2719055
You're an illustrator OPs pic is a painter. The two have nothing in common.
>>
>>2719036
the edge on the grass on the second cliff could have softer edges to give it more depth feeling. very nice work i don't care what anyone says,
>>
>>2722554
Matter of taste really, I personally like the more graphic treatment of the grass there. The whole thing is basically like that actually.
>>
>>2722529
>>2722466
>>2722533
Kill yourself already, faggot.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.