[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT:Tell everyone about your local art shop and gallery/muse

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: girl-with-pearl.jpg (85KB, 489x720px) Image search: [Google]
girl-with-pearl.jpg
85KB, 489x720px
ITT:Tell everyone about your local art shop and gallery/museum.

Art shop: A nice little art shop that has been in the same locations for a long time, always has a very nice selection of Winsor and Newton artists oil, lots of different materials and a good selection of books, can always have a conversation with the guy who works there and he saves me mildly damaged orders of tubes of paint that aren't saleable.

Museum: It's the Joseph Wright gallery and museum, I have been going there since a small child and it is amazing, it has lots of Wright's (English enlightenment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Wright_of_Derby) paintings and a huge collection of animal bones, Egyptian mummys and ancient artefacts from Britain's past.
>>
>>2715396
Long Beach, CA. USA
>Local Art Shop

They're pretty chill. All around nice people. If they don't have what you're looking for in stock, they will either order it for you, or call up another local shop down the street and ask if they have it. Either the owners are friends, or they're just that nice. They have a great selection of brushes, and inks. They even have pen nibs you can buy individually instead of just getting the speedball set. They alwas have a 30% off deal for art students, and constantly have sales. I always stop by when it's a new school session for their $5 hardbound sketchooks.

Don't know much about the local galleries or museums. The art scene here in Long Beach is practically non-existant, and very beach town-ish, unless you count the murals on buildings. There is a museum of Latin american art, but I have yet to stop by and visit. I usually go to the Getty in Los Angeles.
>>
>>2715428
aye long beach reppin. I go to lb state, but i'm from la. you a student too or just a local?
>>
>>2715447
Sup bro.
Not really a student. I'll take a few art classes here and there at the community college for the studies and training, but I mostly just draw on the side and do comics. Been meaning to take the next level of figure drawing since the last class really helped with my skills, and being in that sort of atmosphere was a lot of fun.

How you liking LB state?
>>
>>2715464
Yeah figure drawing is always nice, taking a figure painting class right now, its hard af though. I like it a lot. it's my 2nd year here, so far all my teachers have really helped me improved aside from one. The art program here is mainly traditional, wish it was more digital based. Haven't really experience the typical college life though, seeing as to how I'm kinda anti social and commute here.
>>
Does going to a museum alone carry the same stigma as going to a theater alone? I really don't have any friends interested in art, but I don't want to be the creepy lone goober wandering around a museum alone.
>>
File: kunsthistorisches_museum_121.jpg (141KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
kunsthistorisches_museum_121.jpg
141KB, 1024x679px
Vienna, Austria

art shop: boesner, libro, thalia

museum: Kunsthistorisches museum, albertina, leopoldmuseum, Wien Museum, Belvedere, Kunstforum, Naturhistorisches Museum

you'll find vermeer, hohlbein, bruegel, rembrandt, schiele, munch, klimt, da vinci, velazquez, mucha, toulouse lautrec, van gogh, ...

I know I am a lucky fuck with the KHM, but the positioning and lightning of the paintings is far from ideal, they got so many paintings crammed into the rooms, that many of them are hanging so far up, it's almost impossible to take a good look at them.
>>
>>2715846
you lucky bastard

i wish i could ever be that close to the masters
>>
>>2715661
I go to the museum alone and the cinema alone, I literally could not care less and neither should you.
>>
>>2715661

>>2715881
This
No one actually cares anon, the only people who'd actually look down upon you for going somewhere alone are projecting their own insecurities. It's really not a big deal at all, don't let that be the reason to stop you going to see something you want to.
>>
Boston/Cambridge, MA
Museums/Galleries:
Museum of Fine arts: Lots of old art collections ranging from Antiquity to about the Impressionist movement. Many visiting exhibitions that range from many art periods. small contemporary area wing. Great Egyptian/antiquity collection imo.
Free to the general public on Wednesdays after 4pm, students free with ID. You can draw in the museum and they hold free figure drawing classes, you can use the traveling stools to sit in any gallery and draw.

Institute of Contemporary art:Name speaks for itself, lots of different exhibitions throughout the year and free admission days for non students/members

Harvard art Museum, Cambridge: Lots of old art as well similar to MFA. Free admissions I think on Wednesdays, free to residents of Cambridge.

Isabella Steward Gardener Museum: The famous art heist took place. Collection doesnt change because Isabella wrote in her will that nothing in her house(which is the museum) can be changed in her collection etc. Collection has some decent range from paintings to furniture. They do hold many parties in the flower garden area, free on certain days.

Local art shops: not many that i know of that are actually "local" there's only Blick(Boston/Cambridge), Artists and Craftsman (Cambridge) and this one stationary place that has some art supplies called Bobs Slate Stationare (Cambridge)

Usually it's blick and crafts man that i go to. If one doesnt have what i am looking for then i go to the other across the street, they both can special order anything you need.
>>
>>2715881
>>2715888
Thanks, I think I might go check out a museum on Monday then.
>>
>>2715471
If I had the space, I would so take up a figure painting class. Sadly, my apartment is small, and I wouldn't have room for canvases and a proper setup. My drafting table is all I have.

>The art program here is mainly traditional

That's sounds fantastic, speaking from a traditionalfag's point of view.

>Haven't really experience the typical college life though, seeing as to how I'm kinda anti social and commute here.

It's all good. Between 40+ hours of work, my projects, and school, I don't have much of a social life either. I just socialize on the internet mostly anyway.

Happy drawing fellow LA artist.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.