[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would be the most easily portable paints? Oil, Acrylic,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: CIWymPzUkAApZGF.jpg (49KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
CIWymPzUkAApZGF.jpg
49KB, 600x610px
What would be the most easily portable paints? Oil, Acrylic, Gouache, watercolor?
>>
>>2713502
Gouche and/or watercolour are the most easily portable. Acrylics or oils can be made to be portable but will require more thought and effort to make them compact and easy to bring out.
>>
>>2713502
You can improvise a watercolor tin that's as small as you want, + a waterbrush or pocket brush and small water container. With other paints you're limited to carrying tubes. Dried gouache can still be rewetted but won't really have the same consistency.
>>
>go to art supply shop
>water brush costs the same as airbrush
what a world we live in
>>
>>2713508
>>2713511
Thanks for the info, any tips or pointers on getting started with watercolors?
>>
>>2713548
There's been loads of artists who have written about how to go about bringing watercolour setups out for plein air painting, I know Nathan Fawkes and James Gurney are two big name people who have written extensively about this stuff, but there are other less famous artists who have put out lots of info online as well. Just do a bit of research.
>>
>>2713550
Well you answered exactly what I was looking with "pointers" so thank you. I guess I could have worded my comment better though.
>>
>>2713502
How do you even know what colors to bring? Do you decide where you want to paint before you do?
>>
>>2713556
You can make due with very little, even a single colour can technically be enough if you want to go monochromatic. Also colours technically don't need to match reality. A purple tree will still be a tree.
>>
>>2713514
What?
>>
>>2713556
I don't know.

All colors originate from three primary fucking colors, you see.

Like... you can bring those three colors?

Just add Payne's Gray if you are watercolor master race.
>>
Squeeze gouache from a tube into a small foldable palette that you can hold in your hand. Get yourself an aqua brush (holds some water in the handle) or 2. Cut up an old shirt for a rag. Get yourself a nice watercolor sketchbook. And some clamps to keep the paper relatively flat.

Super easy and if you want to go just a bit more, invest in a tripod and make yourself a small "easel" for your sketchbook.

Use gouache since you can be transparent or opaque. If you need to boost the contrast and color, hit it later with Kamar Varnish and it'll tone down the chalky-ness.
>>
>>2713570
What about that sentence did you not understand?
>>
>>2713587
Not that anon, but a waterbrush is ~$5 and "airbrush" refers to a device that uses compressed air to spray liquid paint which costs several fold more than a waterbrush. In no world are the two priced equivalently.

To answer the OP's question: watercolor pans by far.
>>
>>2713502
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Ohw2Ru5ww&list=PLRba1gHgLtJB5NpHFmnZLhXuN_kdAyLae&index=10
Help yourself, anon
>>
>>2713590
Why are you explaining what an airbrush is? Are you fucking retarded?

Them not being supposed to be anywhere near in price is exactly the point of the post.

>In no world are the two priced equivalently
Evidently they are.
>>
>>2713514
Don't you mean... Watercolor set costs the same as airbrush.
>>
>>2713611
I assumed >>2713514 doesn't understand english, because his post makes no damned sense.
>Are you fucking retarded?
Are you? That anon's confusion is pretty easily understood and
>What about that sentence did you not understand?
You asked and I spelled it out for you. Calm down.
>>
File: watercolor.jpg (27KB, 600x492px) Image search: [Google]
watercolor.jpg
27KB, 600x492px
Hi OP, from my experience the most convenient portable medium is watercolor, I recommend one of these travel sets (the brand name is Koi), they are very affordable and come with sponges and a brush pen. The mixing tray is also very useful, added with the lid you have plenty of room to mix all the colors you want. The selection of cake pigments are quite good as well, you should be able to mix close to every hue you need and they have nice saturation.

I wouldn't recommend buying the expensive tube watercolors right off the bat, maybe try them once you're more comfortable with the medium.
>>
>>2713625
It makes perfect sense, you stupid shit, he's amazed that a fucking waterbrush is that overpriced. Are you a fucking BR?
>>
File: 00319-group-1-3ww-l.jpg (67KB, 600x596px) Image search: [Google]
00319-group-1-3ww-l.jpg
67KB, 600x596px
>>2713502
This is a regular compact painting set

>>2713629
This is a super compact painting set

And this
This is to go even further beyond!
Just carry indivudal pans and paint with wet fingers
>>
>>2713636
So you find it easy to believe that someone found a waterbrush that's at least 20 times more expensive than they are in the real world, but it's inconceivable that that person simply doesn't speak english very well. I think it's pretty clear that you're the one that's "fucking retarded".
>>
>>2713636
>It makes perfect sense that a fucking waterbrush is that overpriced.
No store has prices that absurd. If so, such absurdity warrants a "What?" at least. You questioned that anon's reading comprehension and I explained this very simple situation to you on his behalf. English clearly isn't your native language. Fuck off.
>>
>>2713648
>>2713650
An airbrush isn't even 20 bucks, you fucking autists
>>
>>2713657
You still can't draw. Why are you still here?
>>
File: jj.png (895KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
jj.png
895KB, 1440x900px
>>2713502
is this just a normal moleskine or is does the paper need to be thicker than that for painting?

i'd like to get into irl painting & ink washes but i have no idea where to start
>>
>>2713720
They make special moleskines with watercolor paper. If you're using oils then use the regular sketchbook moleskine but gesso the page first. Acrylics can be used directly without gessoing.
>>
>>2713548
buy a decent set, dont settle for a shit set because it's cheap. winsor and newton's pocket set is good enough in my opinion. also get a sketchbook that can handle water.
>>
File: tmh_booklet_teaser.jpg (186KB, 600x415px) Image search: [Google]
tmh_booklet_teaser.jpg
186KB, 600x415px
>>2713548
It's all about the workflow:
tea, milk, honey
>https://citizensketcher.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/tmh_cheat-sheet_fold_format.pdf
>>
>>2713745
>dont settle for a shit set because it's cheap
This, you won't be able to get vibrant or dark enough colors and your paintings will look like bad and unfinished always.
>>
>>2713772
This is cool, thank you.
>>
>>2713720
The OP picture is a watercolor moleskine and the painter is Dice Tatsumi.
>>
>>2713502
Watercolor. Period.

>>2713745
>get a sketchbook that can handle water.

That's abut 300gm/sq. meter Watercolor/Fabriano paper. Anything below is non-archival and can't handle water.

Buy a water brush. In my third world shithole the Pentel pocket Aquash water brushes cost about $2-3 dollars.

And get this one.

>http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop/water-colour/water-colour-sets/cotman-water-colours-sketchers-pocket-box-set-0390640
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.