[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does a pencil sharpener exist out there that can give these kind

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11

File: maxresdefault.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
Does a pencil sharpener exist out there that can give these kind of tips? Just incredibly long? I mean im okay with even half of this, just looking for something considerably longer than the usual half inch tip. Even an inch would be good, 2 would be superb

And if no sharpener, can some sandpaper contraption help with this? I just dont want the mess with a razorblade
>>
Just get a wood whittling knife or something. Safer than a razor blade, more practical than sandpaper.
>>
Just use a box cutter, totally safe.

That said, I'd be interested if a sharpener exists too, simply because it takes fucking ages to do it by hand, especially with hard leads.
>>
>>2711999
I met a guy who enjoyed doing that, and i still wonder how do you reach such levels of art-autism
>>
>>2712006
Nigga, it's meditative
>>
>>2711972
just use the razor blade.
your not a child, you'll be alright
>>
>>2712006
If you can't even muster up the patience to sharpen pencils it's gonna be really fucking hard for you to make it in art, Jeff Watts was talking about this stuff in one of his videos saying that just by watching people sharpen pencils he could tell who's more likely to make it through the training period and who is gonna need to work on themselves more.
>>
File: url.jpg (3KB, 224x160px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
3KB, 224x160px
>>2711999
no no no.

Just buy single edged razor blades and follow this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-piPn9d6Q

it will be frustrating and hard at first but you will find a balance.

start by sharpening at least two pencils at a time. tuck one behind your ear as you use the other one. if one snaps simply put it away and use the one behind your ear instead of getting angry and sharpening all over again.

get used to it , it becomes easy and intuitive. it will be good for you, trust me.
>>
File: 61Smh9GvNVL._SL1500_.jpg (101KB, 1500x1262px) Image search: [Google]
61Smh9GvNVL._SL1500_.jpg
101KB, 1500x1262px
>>2712055
or you can be a pleb and get one these. it will do the same job. but you will have to carry it with you for a life time. so which will it be?
>>
>>2711999
Cutter sharpener user here and I can say that you have a lot more control on the form your lead will take when using a cutter rather than a sharpener.

You just have to know how to use it. Plus, OP's picture is totally achievable using a sharpener, never tried, though, but I don't doubt it.
>>
File: IMG_0954.jpg (94KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0954.jpg
94KB, 640x480px
>>2712057

my outdoor set, all done with single edged razor outside
>>
File: 34301.png (301KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
34301.png
301KB, 600x400px
>>2711972
Those pencils aren't sharpened well at all. The whole point is for you to have a wide range of stroke width by controlling the tilt. This shit has two modes - wide as fuck and sharp as fuck, nothing in between while getting charcoal all over your fingers. The fuck does he think the wooden part is for, decoration?

That aside, there's a thing called long point sharpener that removes all the wood first and then starts sharpening the core, giving you an option to use the side of the pencil easily. It's just for regular pencils tho.
>>
>>2712075
The pencils in OP are conte pencils and sharpened specifically to that length for a reason. They are used with an underhand grip for drawing on large newsprint that is clipped to be vertical. The large amount of wood is exposed because of how it is sharpened with the razor and because you want to sharpen a constant taper from the very tip back into the pencil itself so that you have an even lead that can easily be controlled and you can still draw with the pencil nearly parallel to the paper. It's commonly used at Watts Atelier and probably other schools as well.
>>
File: bamboo pen is tsun.jpg (75KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
bamboo pen is tsun.jpg
75KB, 1152x768px
>>2711972
Anon, i...
>>
File: 1470969614024.png (42KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1470969614024.png
42KB, 500x322px
>>2712075
>>
File: 2041_olf2.jpg (36KB, 670x400px) Image search: [Google]
2041_olf2.jpg
36KB, 670x400px
>>2712055
Why not? A decent knife will be just as sharp and it's more comfortable to hold. I use an Opinel, but a Kiridashi-style blade like pic related but would probably be better suited to the task.
>>
File: Masterpiece4.png (571KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Masterpiece4.png
571KB, 2048x2048px
>>2711972
Any sharpener that will take pencils as thick as the Contés won't give you a very good point at all. For normal-sized pencils with small cores you can use one of these overpriced Kum sharpeners. It comes with a rubber stopper that you can remove, so the first hole will take out as much wood as you want to. You'll still need to sand out the tip to get a good taper, though.
>>
>go through all that trouble to remove the casing
>exposed graphite/conte/charcoal falls off
>>
File: 1440248422361.gif (253KB, 447x415px) Image search: [Google]
1440248422361.gif
253KB, 447x415px
>>2712172
>bust out a fresh new charcoal pencil
>begin sharpening, discover the wood is full of knots
>it crumbles to pieces
>>
>>2712036
link to video?
>>
See no point in sharpening this way when one haven't fully understand how to spend time getting the value right (cross hatching).
>>
>>2712075
Are you retarded?
>>
>>2712197
https://youtu.be/-NIvZZ7x3dc?t=23m20s
>>
>>2712318
oh wait i don't think that's the vid that guy was talking about, but he says something similar at 23:20
>>
>>2712206
this.

what are you planning to do, OP? if you're in an art school or taking a class they should have taught you this.
>>
>>2712206
you fucking retard the whole point of sharpening this way is to go from linear rendering to tonal rendering. sure there are lines being used but the emphasis is on tonal drawing.
>>
Just do it right faggot, with a square razorblade to get in the zone.
Listen to based Jeff/Proko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_W9sZ8S7RM
>>
I only use a box cutter. It takes me like half a minute to sharpen a pencil. How autistic do you have to be to not be able to do such a simple thing?
>>
>>2712318
>wax on wax off

Holy shit
I get it now. Okay, I'll sharpen my pencils properly like a good boy and stop complaining.
>>
>>2712558
>How autistic do you have to be to not be able to do such a simple thing?
>How autistic

What's with you idiots calling literally anything autistic regardless of if the term is even vaguely applicable?
>>
>>2712689
t. buttmad autist
>>
>>2712689
projecting
>>
>>2711972
>just looking for something considerably longer than the usual half inch tip

So is your girlfriend OP.

>>2712036
This.
>>
>>2712172

I know that feel
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.