[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips on oil painting alla prima? I have a job to do tomorrow

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: allaprima.png (522KB, 548x731px) Image search: [Google]
allaprima.png
522KB, 548x731px
Any tips on oil painting alla prima?

I have a job to do tomorrow but I always seem to end up thinning the paint out and applying it by layers and erasing the brushwork.
>>
Do the opposite of what you do.
>>
i always blend and layer darker values until i get to tje lighter lights, then i just start using bolder brushstrokes. im no expert tho.
>>
>>2709334
Dont blend. It makes a painting muddy. >>2709328
Anyways the only time you shoulder use thinner/oms is for the sketch or if youre laying down the values. After than you should us liquin, linseed oil, or another similar medium. A helpful tip that my teacher taught me was lay down the darkest color first and also fill in the background. That way you have both the darkest dark and the background which allows you to decide if the color of the skin is lighter or darker than the background and the darkest dark.

Remember to always compare with the darkest dark. Then decide is the color lighter or darker. Warmer (red, organge, yellow, etc.) Or cooler (blue, greens, etc.). Idk if this makes sense, but it helps me. Anyways what exactly are you painting? A portrait, a landscape?
>>
>>2709350
>Anyways what exactly are you painting? A portrait, a landscape?

A portrait. I've tried alla prima before but I find it's hard to get the colours right without reverting to layers which is something I do naturally. Going to have to fight it I guess.
>>
>>2709359
Do what i told you my man. What colors you go? Also do you know how color mixing works. You using a photo or a live model?
>>
>>2709366
>What colors you go? Also do you know how color mixing works. You using a photo or a live model?

Using a photo. Palette is a split primary with some earths. I've read plenty on colour mixing but don't practice enough.
>>
>>2709382
Can you post the photo?
>>
Alla prima is a meme. The great thing about oils is the translucency and richness.
>>
>>2709642
Translucency is meme
>>
>>2709642
You can still have that in alla prima.
>>
>>2709328
just getting started with oils and I'm reall the way that alla prima pieces look I'm reading schmid right now and trying to do some paintings but I wish there was a video I could watch of someone doing one start to finish so I could get a feel for the process. anybody know of anything that might help?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.