[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this seems to be a light book but my mind is full of fuck. would

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

File: Color_Light_Cover.msm.jpg (177KB, 600x702px) Image search: [Google]
Color_Light_Cover.msm.jpg
177KB, 600x702px
this seems to be a light book but my mind is full of fuck. would studying scientific text books about color and light be helpful?
>>
If you can't grasp a book on something simplified so any idiot artist with no scientific background can understand it, why do you think reading one written for academics would magically make it click?

If you had the understanding and wanted to compliment your gasp by going deeper I'd say it'd be helpful. If you already don't get it, it probably won't help you at all.

Scientific texts also have a different goal than art ones. They'll be telling you a lot of shit that isn't necessary for you to know as far as your art is concerned. It'll probably just make it more confusing if you're having to pick and choose what knowledge in the books is worth remembering.
>>
>>2708283
>If you can't grasp a book on something simplified so any idiot artist with no scientific background can understand it,
yeah its so easy..
>>
>>2708283
Not OP, but dude color theory is fucking hard, i dont understand any of this shit.

I dont want to have to do fucking math to paint a picture, i just want to paint. fuck
>>
>>2708275
>science
Only for some things in optics, but it doesn't tell you what this really means for artists, it's for stuff like building a microscope or analysing the composition of a material.

If the book is too shit, have a look at https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/color-fundamentals-advanced-coloring--cms-20679

Still shit, but not filled with pages full of dinosaurs.
>>
>>2708275
Jump to the second part of the book, is where he actually starts to talk about stuff. Tho, all well known artist out there have their own vision about the approach of color theory, so if you read like 3 or 4 books you easily will come with contradictions with the authors.

A scientific approach is also difficult, cause the same thing that happens with artist happened with physicists, no one actually knows how vision really works, they just guess.

Just read a lot and form your own theory, practice and if it works for you then the job is done.
>>
>>2708320
>>2708323

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying guides for artists on x theory are literally written with the intent of being understood and applied by artists, not fucking scientists.

The goal of a science text book will be intending to teach totally different theories regarding color and light than how to make appealing art. If you can't understand a guy who literally wrote a fucking book trying to spell it out exactly for the task you're learning it for why on earth would you understand a guy who doesn't give a shit about its artistic applications and is more interested in how wavelengths work and shit.
>>
Is this book helpful for a beginner who wants to learn color theory?
>>
Well, have you done any Observational painting?
>>
This is the best book on color. That's it.

And if you don't want to do math or w/e, then you're shit out of luck, because all drawing is actually is fucking mapping out perspective and understanding physics. It really loses it's magic a little once you get into it. Embrace the madness you faggots.
>>
I think it wouldnt hurt to study the light spectrum from a science perspective, I took my time to understand it and helped me a lot.
>>
>>2709915
Not really, I've found it pretty amateurish, as with a lot of more or less modern American artists and their books. They're relaying the most basic knowledge, without having the ability to write.

It's basically "color and some rando stuff I included (lite)"
>>
>>2710316
Please post your work friend :)
>>
File: david hornung.jpg (14KB, 260x334px) Image search: [Google]
david hornung.jpg
14KB, 260x334px
>>2708275

Better get this one. It proposes color exercises and makes you do those. I found it better in learning color than Gurney.
>>
>>2711287
jeez, what a boring cover
>>
>>2711365

Remember what mom told you: what's inside that counts
>>
>>2711385
not if its about design and color
and what they produce looks like shit
>>
>>2711385
don't listen to this repetitive janitor. He's retarded.

How else would anyone have the time?
>>
>>2708275
Lighting can be learned using basic forms. There's no one rule for color. Study works that stand out to you and open them in photoshop. With your color picker equipped, look at the colors they use, study their hues, intensities, and saturations. Look at how they ramp colors, and apply their rules to your works.
>>
>>2711287
Does it contain some chapters on how light works? If not, then it is probably not that useful at the beginning, because you are stuck with composition and unrealistic rendering.
>>
File: hornung.jpg (176KB, 741x1036px) Image search: [Google]
hornung.jpg
176KB, 741x1036px
>>2711604

Ok, try other book then and don't look at this one.

>>2711897

Yes, very first chapter before introducing fundamentals like hue or saturation in second one is dedicated to that and how color is seen. Last chapter is dedicated to doing color studies on the computer and how it differs from normal reality.
>>
>>2712326
I meant things like specular and diffuse reflection, and more complicated things, sorry that I was unclear.
>>
File: abbb.jpg (205KB, 758x969px) Image search: [Google]
abbb.jpg
205KB, 758x969px
>>2712332

It tells about retinal paintings and proposes retinal studies as assigments, but does not necessary focus on those illusions per se.
>>
File: bbbbbb.jpg (232KB, 744x1007px) Image search: [Google]
bbbbbb.jpg
232KB, 744x1007px
>>2712354
>>2712332
>>
File: ccccccccc.jpg (201KB, 725x1012px) Image search: [Google]
ccccccccc.jpg
201KB, 725x1012px
>>2712355
>>2712354
>>
File: ddddddddd.jpg (140KB, 705x1021px) Image search: [Google]
ddddddddd.jpg
140KB, 705x1021px
>>2712354
>>2712355
>>2712357
>>
File: eeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (177KB, 739x1018px) Image search: [Google]
eeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
177KB, 739x1018px
>>2712355
>>2712357
>>2712358
>>
File: ffffffffff.jpg (164KB, 751x1016px) Image search: [Google]
ffffffffff.jpg
164KB, 751x1016px
>>2712354
>>2712355
>>2712357
>>2712358
>>2712359
>>
File: ggggggggggg.jpg (248KB, 739x963px) Image search: [Google]
ggggggggggg.jpg
248KB, 739x963px
>>2712355
>>2712357
>>2712358
>>2712359
>>2712361
>>
File: hhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg (157KB, 704x1026px) Image search: [Google]
hhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
157KB, 704x1026px
>>2712354
>>2712355
>>2712357
>>2712358
>>2712359
>>2712361
>>2712362
>>
Stop running away all the time to search a better alternative. You will feel dumb and like shit anyway. Better pull trough and carve it into your skull that you can deal with a bad situation and learn any information with persistence.
>>
>>2711287
Download link senpai?
>>
>>2711287
>>2712354
It certainly doesn't focus on what I am asking about, meh, and it has not much to do with OPs book is about.

The book is material for people who take part in a workshop and are already(!) artists or designers.

It's right there in the title.

So, this book isn't at all relevant.

This is just bad advice.

As from an artistic viewpoint, I can't seem to fit this workshop at all. Nobody should need to visit this workshop.
>>
>>2708275
have a look at:

https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/color-fundamentals-advanced-coloring--cms-20679

And first read the tutorials linked in the introduction there. There is a lot of useful stuff in there.
>>
>>2712326
This anon knows his shit, Gurney is for those who want to look at pretty pictures and read some drivel.

If you want some exercises to do, get the Color.
>>
Once again OP was a faggot.
You won't learn shit form a "scientific" paper on light. Optics doesn't teach to paint, the aspecs of optics relevant to painting are in both of these books which are scientific papers in their own right. But you're a faggot and don't want to learn, you want excuses to blame for your mediocrity.

If you really wanted a scietific understanding of light you would experiment with it yourself. All you need is a controlled light source and your fucking hand.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.