[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does one get to this level and make money as a portrait artist?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: photo.jpg (101KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
101KB, 900x900px
how does one get to this level and make money as a portrait artist? is it just a matter of time and study and marketing yourself? can you earn a decent living this way? I want to say I'm close to drawing about at this level.
>>
>>2706985
You can earn a very good living as a portrait artist, but you'll need to work in oils and probably there is some marketing involved in order to actually get important commissions. People like Nelson Shanks were doing portraits for many tens of thousands of dollars each.

Also not exactly on topic, but you're probably not close to that level at all. There's very few people on the planet who can draw that well, and the people who can are already successful either as an artist or teacher.
>>
>>2706985
show me a portrait you've done, and I'll tell you if I'd pay you for one.
>>
File: portrait2-15.jpg (108KB, 443x720px) Image search: [Google]
portrait2-15.jpg
108KB, 443x720px
>>2706996
>>2707004
ok I'm not close to that level, but I feel like I'm on the path to getting there.
>>
>>2707006
I don't want to be mean, but this is very very very far from the level of the image in OP. And I'm not just playing the /ic/ meme of calling anything someone posts utter shit or anything, it's just genuinely nowhere near the level of a professional portrait artist.
>>
>>2706985
Portraiture is still very much in-demand in the editorial realm, and it can pay very well if you're contributing to top publications regularly.

However, realism (let alone pencil drawings) is NOT in demand in this industry, while a unique and trendy style is absolutely necessary.

>>2707006
You are years away from any serious career in art.
>>
>>2707006
wow this is really great indeed, you are probably better than image in OP.

Is this drawing a portrait of that ayy lmaoo guy though?
>>
>>2707008
>>2707009
what can I do to "get there" other than just studying the fundementals and practicing? I want to be smart about how I study.
>>
>>2707012
Try to draw more from life instead of photos. Do many master copies and study the structure of the skull and the planes of the head, as well as how to construct.
>>
>>2707006
For something like a portrait (i.e something that I would want framed and hung on a wall) I would not pay for this.

One thing that stands out, is that you don't blend your values at all. Also, it doesn't look like you toned your paper, it makes it easier to use values. Or you can just buy pre-toned paper.

I'm not very good at heads myself so there's little I can say about that. The hair looks awful though desu.

It lacks a lot of character too. Portraits like this are fine for practicing, but on a piece you want to sell it's bad. It's like using a 3d model in a video game without animation, so it's just a floating T-pose.

Take all this with a grain of salt tho cuz I suck. Don't give up though desu, you have to fail to succeed.
>>
>>2707006
go study and make the same thread in about 5 years and maybe then if you're lucky you'll come close
>>
File: portrait1-hs.jpg (70KB, 375x604px) Image search: [Google]
portrait1-hs.jpg
70KB, 375x604px
for example this is something I did 5 or so years ago so I am capable of improving.
>>
File: trchet6-jan16.jpg (796KB, 996x1228px) Image search: [Google]
trchet6-jan16.jpg
796KB, 996x1228px
another I did, more recent than both. hopefully showing some steady improvement
>>
>>2707006
is that ryonen?
>>
>>2707033
>>2707034
go do some charles bargue plates.
>>
>>2707034
1. This is not your blog, you should post them in the appropriate section

2. It seems... Odd. To say the least. The base construction appears flawed as nose and eyes are not well aligned. Her left eye is not in the right perspective; the skull is malformed and, while you give some volumes right, cheeks and nose bridge are wrong.

3. You can get better and go pro even with your style or worse, you just have to know what you want to do with your art. For making webcomics maybe it's fine, most of them are shit nowadays.
>>
>>2707045
>>2707045
thanks for the feedback.
this thread isn't breaking any rules as far as I'm aware, beginner threads and rate my art threads are not part of 4chans rules man.
I was hoping to have just a general discussion about portrait art.
>>
>>2707067
Yes but you are now posting only your drawings, this clearly isn't aimed at a general discussion.
>>
>>2707069
Not explicitly against the rules
>>
>>2706985

just watch watts atelier vids on youtube and stop being a shitter who asks fags and NEETs for help when there is literally a traditional master doing free vids on youtube
>>
>>2706985
To be honest op, 99% of the advice you've been given in this thread has been utter shit. >>2707006
is pretty good, though for 5+ years ago it's a little lackluster. I think you might want to take some real life classes. The internet can only teach so much.
>>
>>2707415
>is pretty good, though for 5+ years ago it's a little lackluster
lmao, it literally looks like the work of someone who has been drawing for a week or so. Don't give him false hopes.
>>
>>2707045
>1.
Not him but fuck off with that nonsense its relevant to the fag you inclusive faggot
>>
Face looks concave lol retarded light source
>>
>>2706985

A generous estimate would be 10-15 years from your current ability if you draw all the time.
>>
>>2707033
that is not much worse than what you are doing now
>>
File: 1468165772481.jpg (290KB, 767x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1468165772481.jpg
290KB, 767x1023px
>>2707006
<-- Looks like you drew a negro american version of this
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.