[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does this explain why some people, myself included, can'

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

Does this explain why some people, myself included, can't draw? Is Aphantasia the answer people who claim they have no talent is looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1moO05PbqY
>>
>>2705826
naw everyone can imagine things just some people have to actually put more effort into it than others. Also having an imagination or not has nothing to do with drawing ability.
>This thread is dumb.
>>
>>2705826
No, this wouldn't affect your ability to draw from reference or respond to what is already on the canvas. Your lack of drawing skill can be attributed to laziness and never practicing.
>>
>>2705828
Not OP, but I can draw from reference perfectly and am still terrible at drawing from imagination. This has probably more to do with the fact that I've practiced drawing from reference much more than from imagination, but I do wonder if other people are naturally better at forming mental pictures than I. When I try to visualize something, the result is pretty vague.
>>
>>2705826
oh god, is this the newest ebin meme?

aphantasia?
>>
A drawing is just a series of lines with different lengths; as long as your brain can store information about lengths: you can draw.
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 1000x791px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 1000x791px
>>2705850

>not having the ligameme
>not having the spark
>too old for muh neuroplasticy
>suffering from aphantasia

>mfw shit noobs have yet another excuse for not making it
>>
>>2705826
It certainly would be a factor in why some people struggle more with understanding certain concepts related to their ability to draw, but as the video states people adapt and I'm positive that with mileage and persistence these people could become adept artists.
>>
>>2705860
whats the ligameme
>>
>>2705826

I can imagine all kinds of moving imagery and sound but cannot draw for shit, so...
>>
>>2706329
the thing you don't have
>>
>>2705860
This is really getting out of hand now.
>>
>>2705838
>Not OP, but I can draw from reference perfectly
sure you can
>>
>>2705826
Aphantasia aka the spark. You might as well give up op.
>>
>>2706358
>getting out of hand
now you're just making excuses for your poor motor skills
>>
File: 2di5MGF.jpg (13KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
2di5MGF.jpg
13KB, 200x300px
>>2706391
SSSTTTTTOOOOPPPPP
>>
Kek just figure it out on the paper.
Have an idea in your head, "apple"
Draw an apple.
Does it look like an apple? No? Then reference an actual apple and try again.
Does it look like an apple now? Great! You have successfully drawn an accurate apple without picturing anything in your brain!

Literally figure it out. I have carpal tunnel, so in order for me to compete with veterans i need to get faster at rendering and drawing so i can get an idea down before the pain starts.
Some people can't sit, some people have mental disabilities but can still draw.

Ligameme or not you can still draw.

Only your personality is preventing you from getting gud
>>
>>2706402

I have an apple
>>
I have a hard time imagining scenes I'm reading in a book. But when it comes to drawing it's usually pretty easy to come up with a picture. It's just a matter of arranging the different things you want to include and finding suitable refs.
>>
File: Magritte_TheSonOfMan.jpg (76KB, 266x374px) Image search: [Google]
Magritte_TheSonOfMan.jpg
76KB, 266x374px
>>2706402
>Have an idea in your head, "apple"

that explains a lot
>>
It's generally difficult to put exactly what you imagine on the canvas.

What people try is:

>Figure it out
Which is a shitty idea. You draw until it magically looks "right".

>Imagine only forms and shapes.
Instead of imagining the whole fucking dragon, you picture a twisting dong with a bunch of prisms attached to it. Put the shapes on the canvas, then you detail 'em.

>Use reference.
Like, come up with your own shit, get stuck in something, go to Google, find a picture that helps you fix your own shit and repeat.

>Iterative drawing
Or a very complex symbol drawing.
>>
>click to 3 random points in the video
>the guy repeats himself "some people have no imagination" each of those 3 times

is this a fluke or does he really repeat himself this much
>>
>>2706794
this
>read book
>try to form a mental image of scene
>a few sentences in a further description or detail ruins it all
How do people imagine places in books? I think they all lie.
>>
>>2706825
Nah, your brain is just shit. I actually can't fucking stop myself from imagining every little thing thats described to me in books. Nearly every process my thoughts have involves imagery, right down to word association.
>>
>>2706825
"imagining" things is not that you see a mental, graspable image.
The mind works a lot more elusive, impressionistic and fluid. Same with forming an image for a scene out of a books. You might think that you actually formed a mental image, but in actually you are playing tricks on yourself to think you formed such a thing.

I believe same is true for Painting and Drawing (at least for me). You find the shape you like on the paper, in the hand so to speak, not in the head.
>>
>>2705826
>Aphantasia
Doesn't exist.
>>
>>2705827
As a kid I used to be unable to imagine anything original, but I spent time trying to think of something original when I had time. I don't know how long it took me but it's not that fucking hard, it's literally just training your daydreaming skills.
>>
>>2705826
I said it before but this doesn't mean anything for drawing. Only people with decades of experience can draw straight from their mind literally everyone has to use construction or it will never come out 100%.
>>
>>2706832
I can focus entirely on my mind's eye and completely ignore my actual vision if I want to. It takes a bit of concentration, but it's just a matter of focus. At that point, I am basically just seeing what I imagine. I can't make myself hallucinate, but I can see imagery very clearly in my mind's eye.
>>
>>2706420
I have a pen
>>
wait a minute

you guys actually believe that unless you can see a line on your wrist, you somehow have shitty wrists and will never be good at art?

you actually if somebody else gets good at art faster than you that you will never be good?

you actually think if you can't dream up insane pictures in your mind that you will never be good?

you actually think you can reach an age where you can never learn anything ever again?

ironic, if you believe in this stuff you probably will never make it
>>
>>2706896
I never ever use construction and I've only been drawing 5 years
>>
Regardless of what anyone says, if someone says that they have aphantasia, then it might as well be true for them. They've decided it's real, and that's all it takes.
>>
>>2705826
I have a friend who claims to have this. She said it more of a continuum than a binary 'images' or 'no images' as there are some people who imagine things as mostly images.

She imagines everything as a list of words. Instead of spatial reasoning to navigate she only imagines a list of directions. If you have her imagine a house she just has a list of words that describe the house.

She doesn't even imagine the lists as a graph of connected words, it's more of a hash table.
>>
>>2706896
I don't really understand this "anyone can be an artist! you just gotta work hard" meme.
It tricks people with 0 talent into wasting years of their life, with no chances of actually competing even if they will eventually learn to paint.
I mean, drawing is not even that profitable, just become a script kiddie or a doctor or something.
>>
>>2708509
Its okay to be mediocre if thats the best you can do. There is plenty of work for mediocre artists. Some people don't have a choice, they need to make art or they will have a sad unfulfilled life.
>>
>>2708512
well If you're not that good at art itself, you could always try to branch out in other stuff. like 3d or games or art history or become a critic. This idea here that wanting something really hard=getting it is making people sad as well, just look at the mtf people who decide to cut off their junk.
>>
>>2708518
What you want to do has nothing to do with what you are capable of doing. Absolutely no one is going around telling artists they are gonna be rich rock stars theses days. Everyone who decides to put in the grind to become an artists understands the outcome.
>>
>>2705826
Aphantasia is a made up fucking word. The one youre looking for is "stupid"
>>
>>2706825
t. Retarded.
>>
>>2705826
While I'm sure some people have an issue recalling visual and other sensory memories, I think most people who are concerned they have "aphantasia" are being misled by people like this fellow. Imagination does not grant you the ability to literally see the imagined image. It does not feel like you're actually standing in your kitchen or at the beach. If it did people would never do anything but daydream all day because it's just as good as real life. You get an abstract sense of the image or sense, but you don't see it in the way you see normally. People probably think they have no imagination because they feel they should be experiencing a stronger visual connection to whatever they're imagining, but the truth is just that it's a very vague sort of experience since you're just piecing together memories of senses, not re-experiencing them. So the answer is no, this is almost definitely not the reason you can't draw. You can't draw because you don't put in the effort. Or you have a learning disability. Lazy or retarded. Your choice.
>>
>>2705838
This is because you're a retard who wasted his time copying photos instead of actually learning the fundementals.
>>
File: speedsketch__20_by_sycra-d83xit3.png (593KB, 1024x1325px) Image search: [Google]
speedsketch__20_by_sycra-d83xit3.png
593KB, 1024x1325px
>aphantasia artists
>>
>>2708589

reading this actually helped me because this was some sort of internal struggle i've had. it made a lot of sense the way you put it. thanks for posting that. i also have a learning disability but what you said made a lot of sense. thanks again.
>>
There are two ways i create art
1. Meditation, i will lay down in bed, and i will wait, i will think and wait till the gods bestow a vision upon me that makes me think, hey that would be a good painting.

2. The first way can give you lots of anxiety, especially when your brain is dry and you cant think of shit, luckily i realized you can just paint whats in front of you, landscaps stilllifes, people, man.
>>
I can visualize easily if my mind's eye is clear. Like right after waking up.

But if I browse the internet/play videogames/watch TV for just half an hour my mind becomes scrambled and I can't visualize shit.

I need to nap/meditate/bath or anything that forces me to clear my mind to visualize clearly.
>>
>>2708634
Sounds like you just need to learn how to push the reset button at will.
>>
Aphantasia is basically an unstudied condition (if it exists at all) and as far as I know basically every study so far is based on asking people to describe how good their mental image is.

As should be common sense, asking someone to describe a subjective experience they have literally no other frame of reference for is a bad metric for research. You might think your mental image is shit but for all you know it's better than every else's. You might think it's great and it's actually way worse.

Don't add it to your toolbox of excuses for failure.
>>
>>2708858
Pretty much. Imagine you were to judge an artist's technical skill based on how they describe it to you. 99% of the "yeah, I'm an insanely skilled master and my art is totally awesome!" would be Dunning Kruger sufering Deviantart kids, while most of the actually skilled artists would be way more humble and realistic in their descriptions.
>>
>>2706810
underrated post
>>
>can imagine objects and rotate as I wish
>the moment stylus touches tablet it vanish
>>
>>2706825
Read the entire passage before imagining
>>
>>2705826
My issue is whenever i try to imagine something from my mind, it's extremely blurry and whenever i try to put it on paper it looks nothing like what i imagine.

My way of compensating for this is by trying to make whatever i draw first work, if that makes sense.
>>
>>2708509
>no chances of actually competing
>competing

there is no competition, anon.
>>
>>2708597
Now that you mention is Sycra have mentioned he feel blind going into a drawing.
>>
>>2705826
The real reason why you can't draw is because you sit here and blog on an anonymous message board instead of drawing stuff you dingus
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.