[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wrong to tell an artist that their work reminds you

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Artists.png (18KB, 1021x360px) Image search: [Google]
Artists.png
18KB, 1021x360px
Is it wrong to tell an artist that their work reminds you of another artist?
>>
>>2705417

No, but I can see how someone that works with highly derivative subject matter would take offense to it.
>>
>>2705417
Depends on the context. If the person your comparing them to is shitty, then it's an insult. If they get compared to the same artist a lot, it might be seen as an accusation of plagerism.
>>
>>2705417
no
people who get butthurt over that type of thing are either overly sensitive nancies or are actually legitimately plagiarizing
>>
>>2705417
No.

If people take offence, they're either being compared to shit or actively passing off concepts as their own.
>>
You know, that's a meme that I've been hearing for a bit now. Not sure what the big deal is.
>>
File: Reminds me of Vitruvian Man.jpg (62KB, 800x475px) Image search: [Google]
Reminds me of Vitruvian Man.jpg
62KB, 800x475px
I think those comments are annoying because it's often based on similarities that are not original or somehow exclusive to the commented piece or the allegedly resembling piece.
Like when the artist draws some monster or knight with a skull as its head and the commenter writes "Ghost Rider, anyone?".
Or comparing a generic space marine to the hero of the only scifi-game they have ever played.
The commentators are often oblivious to a common source of inspiration/reference that is too basic to claim any exclusive ownership over.
I think this is tightly linked to the naive idea of artists coming up with all their ideas from blank or refering to some kind of divine inspiration.
It is tolerable if it's an obscure or exotic reference or a clear link can be made, maybe based on background knowledge of the artists interests. But often times it is amazing how some people seem to have never seen something like a skull before.

How people take it as an insult though is a mystery to me, unless the comparison is made based on something negative of course.
>>
It's kinda rude to do so depending on the context.
>>
>>2705417
>please don't compare my OCS to distinguished characters when theres no resemblance

I rest my case
>>
>>2705417
>Muh 100% original OCs DO NOT STEAL.

No point in arguing with beings like those.
>>
>draw a character based off nothing
>"hey that remind me of x!"
>unconsciously ripped off somebody

fug
>>
>>2705417
No but it's usually not a compliment either. It's just a non-starter comment that doesn't involve the artist in question. It's like commenting on an artists page that you're hungry and going to go out and get food because one of their pictures had some food in it. It doesn't lead anywhere and it doesn't concern the artist so it's just annoying.

There have been a few times when people have compared me to this particular artist that I personally REALLY dislike and though they didn't mean it, I did take it as an insult.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.