[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I go to art school ask me anything, especially if you're

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_9161.jpg (529KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9161.jpg
529KB, 1280x1707px
I go to art school ask me anything, especially if you're considering going
>bc i know you're underage
>pic of shitty high school project
>>
>>2703142
I graduated art school you can ask me anything OP
>>
>>2703158
1. where?
2. will i stop wanting to kill myself as time goes on
>>
I graduated art school too.
>>2703165
Only if you go to therapy or learn to budget your time
>>
an artist I know once said that artschool is basically "paying money to hang out -and make connections with- other artists", how true is that?
>>
>>2703142
>doesn't share which school.

Don't pretend that you can speak for the experience of any art school other than your own. Every art school is a different experience.
>>
I also graduated art school.
>>
>>2703187
Time budgeting is the hardest thing desu especially with 24 credit hours
>>2703189
kind of, i don't really know i dont have much time to just hang out, but the connections part is true. I do feel like I'm really learning important info and bettering myself as an artist
>>2703190
Pratt Institute
>>
File: 1395447047001.jpg (68KB, 397x400px) Image search: [Google]
1395447047001.jpg
68KB, 397x400px
Do they constantly ask what you mean with your work?
>>
>>2703220
nope. most of the time i either get "good" or [20 minute critique]
>>
Are most the other stidents there retarded SJWs with stupid haircuts who are more interested in taking drugs than actually creating art?
>>
>>2703199
Which program are you in
>>
>>2703227
>retarded SJW's
surpirsingly no, theres a lot of liberal/left leaning people but no one actually obnoxious
>stupid haircuts
yes
>taking drugs rather than creating
tricky question, its not a cheap school, they keep us busy asf and its in new york so drugs are hella expensive too, nobody really prefers them over making art
>>
>>2703236
Graphic design, right now im in foundation year so i'm taking classes in basically all major fields of art
>>
>>2703244
How are the classes, they seem annoying.
>Survey of Art
>English
>>
>>2703199
still gotta learn how to do it, especially if you want to pass those liberal arts requirements

At my school we had 'homework parties'. In which we sat in the studio and worked on things in a social situation. You got shit done and got to hang out with your friends.
>>
>>2703249
mine are really long, my average studio class being 6 hours long- most are manageable
none of them are easy though no matter how good you are, none of them are "light"- for me i expect to have 2-3 hours of work per hour of class

>Light and Color Design
>4D design and elements
>Drawing: Figure and Observational
>3D and materials
>Lit and Crit Studies
>Themes in art and culture
>>
>>2703244
Graphic design degrees are not the same as art degrees.

I studied art for a year and I am now doing design.

Definatley not the same thing.
>>
>>2703190
I went to Moore College of Art and Design. My experience might be a bit different since it's a women's college
>>
>>2703260
same pretty much, lot of people from my section go with me to the studios and we drink and work on shit till 5 or 6 am after class
>>
>>2703266
Tell us about your experience.
>>
>>2703264
im actually doing 'Communications Design' which works both in illustration and graphic design, just for simplicities sake its easier for me to say graphic design
>>
Should I bother going through my local community college's fine art two year program if I can go for free?
>>
>>2703262
What makes them so difficult? Honestly don't even know what kind of work they give you at art schools. Just always hear about the long hours.
>>
>>2703271
It was nice? There was a bit of drama here and there, but it was nice to feel comfortable in my environment like going to the studios late at night. It was a very focused place.
>>
>>2703276
maybe, see if any of the professors are actually artists and what they've done
>>
>>2703286

I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>2703283
the profs are pretty hard on you critique wise, which isnt a bad thing necessarily but it does make you feel like that no matter how good your work is or how long you spent on it it was worthless
the difficulty of a lot of assignments is from the technical skills you need to do them- stuff like a recent LCD assignment where i had to take a carrvaggio (probably spelled that wrong), seperate it into shapes of color, and with oil paints reproduce the exact colors in the painting. Some profs say that you'll get a C if you do everything you have to do and nothing more.
>>
>>2703199
Can u show us some of your portfolio pieces you submitted to get in? Im applying to the art program at new paltz and want to see what the typical art school portfolio looks like.
>>
>>2703273
What? How does that even work?
>>
>>2703303
i really wish I could but I'm currently posting from a brand new laptop- I can see what I can dig up though! A few pieces from the thread picture i submitted in my portfolio. I know that exeprimentation and variety is something that a lot of admissions folk value, but still be sure to have some purely observational pieces in
>>
>>2703303
heres what I submitted
>>
>>2703326
>>
>>2703326
It's all over the place, I guess.
>>
>>2703311
combining visual aspects of graphic design and typography with illustration and vice versa
>>
>>2703326
>>2703330
Why do you draw guts so much?
>>
>>2703339
i dont really anymore actually, but i used to want to be a forensic pathologist when I got worn down doing AP Studio in high school, so I kinda combined those two things- a lot of those are from the above installation which was all super bodily
>>
>>2703330
Thanks!
>>
>>2703315
Wait, you submitted that crayon drawing?
>>
>>2703361
yup, i hope that they liked it for the experimental part of it rather than the... technical... aspects
>>
>>2703368
Cool, that just removed a lot of stress i was having. Pratt is one of the best art schools right? Or at least better than new paltz?
>>
>>2703380
according to all the rankings yeah, the only one i didnt get into was RISD
>>
>>2703326
>>2703330
Either this is a joke or you got into a shitty art school
>>
>>2703380
>Pratt is one of the best art schools right?
>tfw don't even know Pratt until today
Really
>>
>>2703396
feel free to google it my guy, i can take pics of newer work if you're not convinced
>>2703401
In 2013, U.S. News & World Report ranked Pratt Institute as being one of the top 20 best colleges in the north.[60] In addition, University Business ranked Pratt as being the number 10 college in the United States.[61] Princeton Review has named Pratt as being one of the best colleges in the northeast,[5] making it among the top 25% of all four-year colleges and universities in the United States.[6] Many of Pratt’s programs have been ranked in the top-5 by U.S. News & World Report including the interior design and industrial design programs. The Bachelor of Architecture program has been ranked as being in the top fifteen programs in the United States consistently since 2000. Bloomberg BusinessWeek ranked the school as being one of the top 60 schools in the world to study design[62] while Business Insider said that the school is the 6th best school for design in the world, above Cooper Union and New York University.[63]
>>
>>2703413
What is your level now, that's a good question
How much did you improve in a year?
>>
>>2703418
Dont have proper image editing software yet on this laptop sorry
>>
>>2703276
Make sure the program is accredited/actually transfers to the university you actually want to go to.
>>
>>2703380
are you talking SUNY New Paltz?
That's in my neck of the woods. If you're a NY state resident, just go to FIT.
>>
I'm studying Illustration, it's a design degree and totally different experience than getting an art degree. If you want to be useful I'd recommend a design program and specifically illustration because Graphic Design is a hack. You will learn the same fundamental design principles but actually learn how to draw, paint and be a functional member of society in Illustration
>>
>>2703518
Im actually from nyc. Grew up my whole life in the city. Lookin for a change. In the end it doesnt matter where i go cuz im opening a business whether i go to collrge or not.
>>
>>2703541
noted, thank you

>>2703552
pratts in brooklyn and desu i hate new york, I miss atlanta but id be damned if i went to go to any fucking school around there
>>
>>2703564
Im do sick of the aggressiveness and getting in grilling matches with every other guy. New paltz is so friendly.
>>
>>2703552
Is NYC as cool as it is in the movies
>>
Anybody here study Illustration in Germany?
>>
>>2703569
im just sick of the cost and the culture of not giving a fuck about anyone but yourself here but i guess its something you just get used to
>>
>>2703189
not very
>>
Another art school person here
>>2703220
Yes, its both beneficial, terrifying and irritating.
You have to have a "conceptual" meaning for everything you do, it doesn't have to be super deep but you're definitley not allowed to "just draw things cause I like it". A lot of people get shat on who just want to do portraits, and in my opinion I'm with the teachers on this one because its retarded to see people just do the same shit with no thought put into it.
>>2703227
Not really, I'd say its more liberal than conservative but most of college is.
>>2703276
Definitley not, don't spend a large amount of money unless you're really going to have a useful class. Instead take tutoring if you want to save money. Most people regret taking classes at a different college.
>>
>>2703694
>You have to have a "conceptual" meaning for everything you do,
Can you explain further on this?

>Definitley not, don't spend a large amount of money unless you're really going to have a useful class.
Such as?

>Instead take tutoring if you want to save money.
People can still hire tutors nowadays?

>Most people regret taking classes at a different college.
I'm confused.
>>
>>2703413
oh shit I live right near pratt and love the brooklyn campus, is it actually good for engineering + art over cooper, I've only studied at cooper before for painting
>>
>>2703570 no it'a like any major city
>>2703552
Makes sense. Just know that the winters aren't quite the same haha.
>>
>>2703751

Hit me up on Grindr.
>>
>>2703244
>im in foundation year
>>2703142
>I go to art school ask me anything
please kill yourself dumbass
>>
Fellow pratt fag reporting in, I'm a junior, ask me anything
>>
Op you've been at art school for 2 months foundation is nothing like the other 3 years. The work is far more self guided and independent once you stop getting specific assignments like in LCD drawing and 3d, or at least it is in the fine arts department. Don't know much about comd but I think it'd be more similar to foundation since the point of your degree is to take jobs for people and fine arts is about doing shit for yourself
>>
>>2704927
Do u go to art skool? Can i see some of ur portfolio pieces?
>>
>>2704974
The only one I don't get is the top middle one.
>>
>>2704974
I'm the junior. These aren't mine btw

I don't think I have any hs portfolio pieces saved my portfolio was shitty but still managed to get a half ride scholarship somehow
>>
How long is it?
>>
>>2703326
This is so pretentious.

I fell grimy just having looked at it. Thanks.
>>
>>2703326
>piece titled "I AM BECOME"
>crayon drawing
>depicts a gigantic handgun intercepting a house, which perhaps by mere coincidence is ablaze

nigger ur mental
>>
>>2704974
Is this just a meme school
>>
>>2703570
If u know how to have fun. Like u can literally do the weirdest shit and it wont matter. One fun thing to do is sprinting thru busy side walks and juking out cars.
>>
>>2703142

What are THOSE?
>>
File: SnoopDogg_01.gif (168KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
SnoopDogg_01.gif
168KB, 300x225px
>>2703189

Very true.

Art students will deny and get assmad over this, especially girls. Art institutes are losing their influence since people who are actually very skilled artists can't afford (or has minimal repay value) to go to a prestigious institution, schools have even stooped as low as sending scouts to colleges, offering free or sometimes waived tuition to select students because of this. Also the ones who can afford art school actually suck aka femnazis and abstract artist who overuse the work "Juxtaposition". People are waking up from that snob appeal since going solo is a more likely/cheaper option.

Career artists go to school to make it a living,but people who do it as a hobby seem to have less trouble getting guud. Now art school is only self profitable if you're going into a realistic field such as Animation, Film, Music, Ect. but Fine Arts is literally hit or miss since you'll be judged on skill, not the piece of paper that certifies you. If you're god tier good, go to school and socialize with like minds.

SJWs btfo.
>>
>>2706508

>If you're god tier good, go to school and socialize with like minds.

This. My third year sculpture prof even told our class, completely unprovoked, that becoming a successful artist is about making connections, which is in part luck. If you don't have at least a couple professional connections before leaving school, you've really fucked up- I'm already working two part time preparatory positions because I took responsibility for managing the preparation of the graduation show out of a two-year program.

I've said it before, but don't go to art school until you've already worked a real job for a couple years. Get some experience networking and develop some self-discipline. All the trash students are ones that are right out of highschool that have no concept of how to make themselves marketable, and lack the self-discipline to make sure they're getting their moneys worth out of their teachers and techs.

I'll also add that even in academic fine art, the SJW feminist meme is on it's last legs- everybody "gets it" and the (girls) that try to pull it off in class are always the lazy ones that latch onto it because they think muh feels are untouchable in crit. It's still sensational to mass media, but exhibitions featuring feminist work are almost always showing stuff from 30+ years ago.
>>
>>2706654
The first part to becoming a successful artist is to be good.
>>
>>2706655

Oh please, don't be naive. We can go around in circles about how modern art is a jewish conspiracy and how the only real art is something that would have been better executed with a camera than a pencil.

Regardless, you can assume there are probably tens of thousands of other artists out there that are as good or better than you. Even if you want to be an illustrator or animator, it isn't enough to just be good- that's assumed as merely cost of entry.
>>
>>2703330
>A firetruck
>on fire
>titled "IRONY"
checks out
>>
Art school is a waste of time, you can teach yourself how to draw using the internet, you can network on the internet.
Even before the internet, you could just buy learn how to draw books.
>>
>>2708251
>someone who has never been to art school
>>
>>2703142
Do we need a graphic designer diploma to find a job or going to the Beaux Arts is fine ?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.