[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a complete beginner, is it worth it to jump right into loomis?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: violinists.jpg (302KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
violinists.jpg
302KB, 1000x700px
As a complete beginner, is it worth it to jump right into loomis? I struggle drawing anything of value after reading through some of "Fun with a Pencil".

Would it be more worthwhile now to just practice sketching things for an hour or two a day rather than focusing on the exercises in the book? Thanks
>>
>>2699248
That's your work?
>>
File: shrimping.png (370KB, 653x3801px) Image search: [Google]
shrimping.png
370KB, 653x3801px
>>2699248

Yes. Exercises should only supplement your work, even learning "fundamentals".
Also pick other book, "Fun with Pencil" is easily the worst written Loomis book and it doesn't help that he is very dated now.
What you want to get first is "Keys to Drawing" by Dodson.

But remember, always - first your own complete drawings, and only then - books. Remember that how you approach drawing and learning is more important than milleage.

Still - draw. Draw a ton. And try to bring out your own creativity in every work you do. Make notes to yourself. Try to make art something that comes right from within you.
>>
>>2699250
No, it's something I look up to and want to replicate the style eventually
>>
>>2699258

Dodson has inside of his book quite a lot drawings like that. You should check it.
>>
>>2699255
Listen to this dude OP. Start with keys to drawing. Loomis isn't actually for beginners its for intermediate people.
>>
>>2699248
As a complete beginer you should just draw from life. Put one simple object on a white sheet of paper and get a single light source and draw it.

Spend hours observing it and recreating it with basic shapes and putting in the values. Then try to start remembering all of the basic shapes you used to draw them and recreate them from memory.
>>
As a complete beginner, I want to learn to draw realistically from imagination without reference. Is this something that is impossible for me to achieve? I don't really find drawing fun at all if i'm using reference
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.