[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, so I've been practicing and studying loomis, 3D construction,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: eyz.png (624KB, 724x911px) Image search: [Google]
eyz.png
624KB, 724x911px
Okay, so I've been practicing and studying loomis, 3D construction, perspective, all that good stuff. And I can construct basically any human pose right now.

But I don't fucking understand eyes.

Loomis has like one fuckin page and it doesn't help. ESPECIALLY the side view. My eyes look like symbol drawn fucking garbage from the side. Proko's video is one of the things I hate most, where the artist will just draw an eye really close up in space from a frontal angle. That doesn't help me at all. Sometimes I'm drawing a human whose eyes are too far away to show the bottom of the top lid or the top of the bottom lid. So what the fuck then? What do I do? I don't want to be forced to copy a ref's values just because I don't have a clue how to properly create one
>>
>>2698891
that picture there is pretty much a perfect explanation though
>>
File: 1474078230822.jpg (124KB, 633x950px) Image search: [Google]
1474078230822.jpg
124KB, 633x950px
>>2698895
Doesn't help me draw shit like this
>>
>>2698896
just copy the reference? there's also a eye in side profile in the top left box, it should help you, just copy everything you see in the drawing. and study other sources or references.
>>
>>2698907
This
I don't understand your problem OP
All you have to do is copy the eyes over and over until you get it and can do it without the reference
>>
>>2698891
Try looking at marble sculptures. That way the eyes have no eyelashes and there's less confusion with the iris and stuff (though some have hollowed out the pupil to make it dark). Sculpture also will have clear forms and the white local colour means less is hidden in shadow and the forms are very clear.
>>
>>2698891
OP, your problem isn't drawing the eye, it's drawing everything around the eye. The underside of the brow, the nose, the cheek bone. Connecting the feature to the planes of the face.

DESU, best way to learn this is to sit in front of a mirror with various lighting setups and do 30 minutes studies from different angles. Sight-sizing a decently sculpted cast would also help if you have access.

Seriously, don't think about drawing the eye, just focus on getting the shadows/ subtle value shifts of all the planes around the eye correct. Then you just chuck an almond shape in the right place and you're gtg.
>>
>>2699201
Another example of what I'm talking about. I drew the black squares/rhombuses underneath the brow by the nose first, then the grey 'rhombuses' underneath the eye that connect to the cheek and begin to wrap up around the brow (can't redline cuz i'm on my phone). At that point, I had the cylinder/hole form really clear and it was easy to throw in a few more shadows to represent the eyes. Pupils generally go in last, otherwise it's too easy to make them too big/small.

This is a really simplified/sketchy example, but you're describing a struggle I had. Those diagrams help for understanding construction, an important component, but neglect to tell you "IRL you just gotta copy the fuckin shadow shapes m8"
>>
File: IMG_20160906_235202~2-768x1000.jpg (156KB, 768x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160906_235202~2-768x1000.jpg
156KB, 768x1000px
>>2699216
image didn't attach
>>
>>2698896
the eye is a sphere, nestled into the brow and cheek bones. the lids follow the curve of the sphere. I don't see why you can't apply that to this picture?
>>
>>2699216
>>2699201
That actually makes sense, thanks. Are there any good lessons somewhere about the values of the eye/brow/nose? Or do I have to wing it over and over
>>2699227
Like I get how to construct an eye, it's the values that seem to be constantly changing from ref to ref, so I don't have a solid foundation of how the light and shadow works. The "anatomy" of the eye basically
>>
>>2699432
>have to wing it over and over
Yeah that's basically how it works. Don't just "wing" it though, observe for shadow shapes, and compare over and over to see which ones are darker than others.

It's tedious and frustrating when you don't get it right. Welcome to drawing. If you keep it up, it will get easier.
>>
>>2699201
Sorry but I was so caught off guard by the desu filter that I kek'd. But good advice though.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.