[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is animation the fastest way to study all the fundamentals? Think

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: esmeralda.jpg (53KB, 878x471px) Image search: [Google]
esmeralda.jpg
53KB, 878x471px
Is animation the fastest way to study all the fundamentals? Think about it. Unless you're near-perfect, you're going to create something that looks weird or that doesnt work well. Is grinding animation a smart decision if one wants to master form, anatomy and perspective?
>>
You cant do complicated renderings or anatomy in animation.

Just study art like a normal person and git gud OP
>>
>>2693325
>You cant do complicated renderings or anatomy in animation.
Yes you can, why the fuck couldn't you?
>>
>>2693319
yeah, if you make the entire thing yourself.

Usually that's not the case.
>>
File: major_muscle_GiTS_tank.webm (3MB, 1013x550px) Image search: [Google]
major_muscle_GiTS_tank.webm
3MB, 1013x550px
>>2693325
>You cant do complicated renderings or anatomy in animation.
>>
>>2693319
>open up animators survival guide
>first chapter tells you to study fundamentals
oh okay
>no, kid, I mean really learn to draw
oh...okay....
>that means no animating until you can draw
>>
>>2693338
it's not realistic. Obviously you could do it but then it'd take a fuck load of time to animate even the smallest shit. There's a reason 99% of animation is so simplified.
>>2693377
You know how many people had to work on that or how long it took them?
>>
File: Richard Williams - Time to Draw.png (491KB, 748x2776px) Image search: [Google]
Richard Williams - Time to Draw.png
491KB, 748x2776px
As someone who's just beginning to dabble in animation I have mixed thoughts on this, while Richard Williams' and his mentors (which were some of the greatest of their time) talked about learning formal drawing first to the exclusion of all else, with how much drawing one ought to be doing I kind of feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea to attempt to tie these drawings together in an animation of some sort. What you could do is attempt to animate things that would give you the greatest understanding of a subject.

For example: Studying the upper body? Animate a person raising and lowering their arms, paying special attention to the deltoids, clavicle, pectorals; the forms created by the overlapping and intertwining muscle and bone. Studying the muscles of the leg? Animate a disembodied leg bending at the knee. Studying the arm? Animate the radius rolling over the ulna, etc.

While these "old masters" of animation are 100% correct in that you will have to have a solid drawing foundation to even begin the real practice animation, it's important to consider that these men lived and worked in a time when animation was a much more laborious affair involving traditional media and the large machines that were necessary test animations under stable framerates. Nowadays there is hardly a drawing or painting software around that doesn't have a fairly intuitive animation timeline you can easily experiment with if you choose. That way you can not only study a subject but acquaint yourself with principals like timing, spacing and so on.
>>
File: loomis babby.jpg (60KB, 1016x803px) Image search: [Google]
loomis babby.jpg
60KB, 1016x803px
>>2693763
Also dig this shit boys. I found a bunch of places in my area that do life drawing for free, maybe some of you will too.

http://www.artmodelbook.com/figure-drawing-directory.htm
>>
File: 1473093038578.png (183KB, 373x489px) Image search: [Google]
1473093038578.png
183KB, 373x489px
>>2693763
your third paragraph has a good point - back then, animators had to be walking powerhouses of knowledge and dexterity. They had to push out shit like snow white and sleeping beauty before our software, google, and computing power existed. So you're right - their level of skill is no longer needed. However, I have to say that draughtsmanship should always be honed. That goes without saying. Also, those greats introduced a system of animating which can be studied thoroughly so that anyone can make a 'good' looking animation, without having trained as much in fundamentals. Yes, animation comes with its own set of fundies that have a lot more to do with getting the movement down pat (timing, spacing, line of action, making use of exposure sheets and other technical shit).

HOWEVER. That is the world those people have created. If animation is to be pushed at all as a craft, it will surely be done by the well studied, the ones with the fundies ground into them. Not by the corner cutter.

tl;dr anyone can make mickey mouse, the thing is its already been done.
>>
File: someday but not really lmoa.jpg (710KB, 1000x1462px) Image search: [Google]
someday but not really lmoa.jpg
710KB, 1000x1462px
>>2693783
>Curly Brace

God she's cute.

Anyway, I don't disagree with what you're saying but I also think you misinterpreted what I meant. I wasn't suggesting anon cuts corners-not by a long shot, rather that I believe we have the unique opportunity, thanks to technology our predecessors didn't have access to at the time they did their best work, to integrate animation into our studies rather than study draughtsmanship and animation completely isolated from one another.
>>
>>2693741
can't be done =/= it takes time and effort

An animation is just a series of images.
If you can do something on a single image, you can do it in an animation.

Something not being practical in a full-length commercial work is not an argument that it can't or shouldn't be done.
>>
>>2693795
I just meant in terms of studying art. I agree with you that it can be done.
>>
>>2693790
sauce on top middle please
>>
Way too much and it'd be boring, just make a fucking comic.
>>
File: Not-Gonna-Make-It Note.jpg (146KB, 605x345px) Image search: [Google]
Not-Gonna-Make-It Note.jpg
146KB, 605x345px
>>2693840
>way too much
>boring

rip
>>
>>2693741
>Know how many people worked on that
>Only Hideki Hamasu worked on that particular cut

Anon, you cant just say bullshit like that.
>>
>>2693876
for real? He might've done all the keys but I highly doubt he inbetweened all of it. Sauce pls.
>>
>>2693890
Of course he didnt inbetween. What, do you think inbetweeners are human beings. Inbetweening doesnt really force you to do anything from the ground up, as it's "just" filling in the inbetweens. He didnt do the color for the cut either. He didnt do the music nor the compositioning of the cut either.
>>
>>2693833
is that also his? if so this will become my first pony ass pic saved on my pc
>>
>>2693319
Completely wrong.
The art of motion is it's own thing. You don't need to be a master of illustration to do it, and it certainly won't turn you into one. Drawing at a slightly competent level is all that's required, and if all you do is animate then that's likely all you're gonna get.
>>
>>2693319
yes because when you animate you begin to think about form in multidimensional space and focus heavily on perspective and proportion.
>>
File: Yoh Fluttershy.jpg (57KB, 1000x875px) Image search: [Google]
Yoh Fluttershy.jpg
57KB, 1000x875px
>>2693930
Yeah he did a few

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/11/anime-superstar-animator-yoh-yoshinari.html
>>
>>2694602
thanks bro, saved them all
>>
>>2693382
/thread
>>
>>2693377
sauce?
>>
I greatly respect animators because animation is like illustration on steroids where you have to master additional skills.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.