[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the "fundamentals" Feng Zhu talks about all

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1469919267803.jpg (80KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469919267803.jpg
80KB, 800x600px
What are the "fundamentals" Feng Zhu talks about all the time? How do I learn them?
>>
>>2692840
Literally who?
>>
Why don't you just email him and ask?
>>
File: ac3.png (133KB, 262x260px) Image search: [Google]
ac3.png
133KB, 262x260px
The fundamentals are the same no matter who is talking about them. Read the sticky, motherfucker.
>>
Art, like anything else, has lots of subfields within the career. What are the fundamentals to a concept artist differ from the fundamentals for someone who wants to do fine art or medical illustration.
>>
>>2692847
This, why do you think he made it so easy to contact him?
>>
>>2692840
Perspective, gesture, render, composition that sort of stuff
>>
File: TheFundamentals.png (87KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TheFundamentals.png
87KB, 1920x1080px
People shit on Sycra here all the time but I think his chart is good.
>>
>>2692965
How does he define moderate and high skill?
It's retarded to assume illustrators and portrait artists don't need to learn gesture, or that designers don't need to paint well, or that comic artists don't need to learn color.
They're called fundamentals for a reason, if you want to be actually good you can't just pick and choose what is you need to learn.
>>
>>2692996

>How does he define moderate and high skill?

I think it's more 'relative to the other skills' than it is having a specific defined criteria. IE "For x profession x fundamental will probably be worth more to you than y fundamental."

Even if we discard his lineup of fundamental to profession, I think the fundamentals he listed are a good summary of the skills any artist would need.

>They're called fundamentals for a reason, if you want to be actually good you can't just pick and choose what is you need to learn.

You really can. If you want to do graphic black and white style comics than color theory really is low on your list of concerns. If you want to draw a lot of buildings and don't plan on drawing people than learning anatomy is a waste of your time. If you're doing those concept art style design lineups where you slap a bunch of people in the same pose along a line in different outfits, composition isn't going to be as important to you as other skills.

If you mean "actually good" you mean "can flexibly do anything asked of you" then yes you're right, skipping fundamentals will obviously limit your 'toolbox'. Not everyone needs or even wants to be a jack of all trades who can do character designs one day, architectural plans the next, and landscapes on the weekend. Some people just want to do their specialty because that's what makes them tick, and in that circumstance it's perfectly valid to focus your efforts on some fundamentals rather than others.
>>
>>2692861
Wait, is it really that easy to contact him directly?
>>
File: 1470000646390.jpg (29KB, 586x634px) Image search: [Google]
1470000646390.jpg
29KB, 586x634px
>>2692840
The sticky is not only a meme, you know?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.