[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's an important number of people believing that "talent"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: 12yearsold.jpg (84KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
12yearsold.jpg
84KB, 600x600px
There's an important number of people believing that "talent" doesn't exist on /ic/.
They think it's all about work, trying hard to achieve their objectives, but they're wrong, there is always some guy you met in your life that draws better than you even if he began drawing 1 month ago.

Kr0n made this when he was fucking 12 years old, now he's 25. They'll say that when he was a kid his parents forced him to work very hard and that's why he's so skilled now. But you're wrong. He has talent. And he's not even the best artist out of there.

But can you overcome a person with talent? Yes, if this person doesn't work. If this talented guy works as hard as you do, you'll never be as good as this person. Never.

The best artists are always the ones who has talent AND discipline to work very hard. If you only have one of them you'll be a decent artist, but you'll never be the art god of your dreams.
>>
k
>>
>>2692645
it takes 2 years of drawing to get to that stage, anyone can do it, its just time consuming, and at 10 years old all you have is time, id be more impressed if a 40 year old could do that in 2 years.
>>
>>2692648
>solved world hunger
>anyone could have done that it was just time consuming. The answer was always out there id be more impressed if you DIDNT solve world hunger
>>
>>2692645
He made that at 12? Damn, he squandered his talent then.
>>
File: 1458089760868.jpg (265KB, 543x633px) Image search: [Google]
1458089760868.jpg
265KB, 543x633px
>>2692645
Instead of caring about other people's potential, Why not just focus on your own potential and see how far you can push it? Not drawing just because other people's more talented is just pitiful.
>>
>>2692645
How to you measure talent?
>>
>>2692654
Do I say that I wasn't drawing? I was just clarifying something. A lot of people are drawing because they want to be as good as the artists they admire. But very often thoses artists are very talented people who worked very hard and it's impossible to equal them if you're not gifted.
>>
>>2692657
So like nearly every sports player or musician? I'm not sure what you're trying to get anon. Most people are well aware of this and still aspire to being as good as their favorite artist as a goal because it gives them purpose.

I'm fucking garbage but that doesn't mean I don't want to be as good as my favorite artists despite the fact I probably never will be.

I think you're just posting projections trying to get insecure people with everything on the line when it comes to art riled up.
>>
>>2692645
>hurr durr there's people better than you at something
and water is wet
Is there any point in this seasonal ramblings?
>>
>>2692658
thread

also, just because you're not as talented as someone, doesn't mean you can't reach a given level of skill, even if it takes you longer to get there.
>>
>>2692649
you are comparing solving world hunger to learning to draw still lives.

get more retarded.
>>
>>2692661
if this guy works as hard as you, you can't, that's logic
>>
>>2692664
Most people eventually hit a plateau though, so it's possible to catch up to someone else if your own plateau lies in a different spot. Also it's possible to work harder than someone else.
>>
>>2692664
ok, lets say guy number 1 paints to a level 70 at 20 years old and to level 90 at 30 years old

guy 2 admires guy 1 so at 20 years old he starts to draw at level 70, if it takes him twice as long to advance, that means he's reaching level 90 at age 40 so even if artist 1 has already supassed level 90 by then guy 2 has managed to reach one of the milestones guy 1 reached
>>
>>2692673
what if guy 2 starts drawing at level 1
>>
>>2692673
also, it's not as if art skills developed exponencially ad infinitum
>>
>>2692645
>Kr0n made this when he was fucking 12 years old, now he's 25. They'll say that when he was a kid his parents forced him to work very hard and that's why he's so skilled now. But you're wrong. He has talent.

Well, isn't that proof that talent doesn't matter that much, then?
>>
>>2692676
the first levels are always faster, think of it like a bell curve.
>>
>>2692673
>>2692680
>>
and theres 100000 people more talented than him that he'll never beat. does that mean he can't be successful? obviously not
>>
>>2692664
Of course you can. That other guy always being ahead of you won't magically stop you from reaching whatever skill level you can potentially reach through hard work.

Sometimes the hobby shrink in me seriously wonders what type of childhood trauma people like you suffer from that you are THIS insecure about people being better than you. Especially when it comes to art, where there will always be someone better than you. Not to mention that being the "best" at all the technical stuff doesn't even mean anything once you get competent at the fundamentals, because then it becomes all about a unique artistic voice and personal taste.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (28KB, 688x263px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
28KB, 688x263px
>>2692645
Bullshit.
Better than this, not as good as that, blah blah blah always comparing something to someone.
"Talent doesn't exist" isn't literal, it means that it's for the best if you stop thinking about it, stop acknowledging it, virtually believe it doesn't exist.
As long as you enjoy the process, it doesn't matter how far you get.
>>
>>2692679
This
>>
As ever, if you want to become an artist and you think this is an issue then you've already failed.

You've already created an excuse in your brain as to why you can't, as to why you shouldn't. You use these excuses to rationalise not working that extra hour, not getting up early to draw. Not putting in the time to practice. Not being focussed on your work.

Even if talent does exist. You can't influence it. It's a non-factor in becoming an artist for you or anyone else. All you can do is practice to the best of your ability.

Why are you posting about talent here OP? Why do you think this is an important or relevant thing to say? Or are you just wasting your time and hiding from actually doing the work that you could do to improve your abilities?
>>
File: Prince of Peace.jpg (222KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Prince of Peace.jpg
222KB, 750x1000px
>>2692645

There are people who are born "savants," with autistic superpowers, but that just means that they were very good at drawing from a very early age, not that their progress is linear or exponential and that their level of skill will be better than yours in the end.

For example, this painting is from Akiane Kramarik, and she made this when she was 8 years old, she painted it from imagination after seeing Jesus in her lucid dreamscape.

But as you can see from her gallery [http://www.akiane.com/store/], her art did not grow exponentially with her age, and in my personal opion, the subjects have even become more bland (she said she lost her lucid dreaming faculties).

And another important point is this: I think you should not be doing art with the purpose of being better than other people. That's just pride and vanity. I think you should try to cultivate as much beauty as you can within your own skill level and your own limits, while always trying to improve and push them, always getting better.
>>
File: fox.gif (3KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
fox.gif
3KB, 300x250px
Those who refuse to acknowledge the importance of talent are obviously the ones lacking it.
>>
>>2692740
Funny that it's mostly frustrated noobies who keep going on and on about talent and all the great artists say it's mostly hard work.
>>
>>2692740
What in specific is it that you feel like you can't do because you lack talent?
>>
>>2692645
sucks for him then, since all he does is overpolished chromatic aberrated animu.
sounds like a waste of talent to me
>>
>>2692648
this stage is more like one year. Maybe less if you do it 5 times a week.
>>
>>2692803
What if you have neither talent or good ideas?
>>
>>2692645

What's with the obsession on /ic/ of radically underestimating how long time it takes to aquire a certain level of skill on average?
>>
You either want it or you don't.

If you do, no lack of talent is gonna stop you.
If you don't, no amount of talent is gonna save you.

Conclusion - talent doesn't matter.
>>
>>2692819
Wait so what constitutes a "good idea" in the first place, and to whom? Are we talking about the fine art world or the commercial art world? The intellectuals, the elite? The consumers? You're saying I could spend all my time and energy creating compelling ideas and let my technique stagnate, and I'll be just as well off as if I were the best draughtsman/painter out there?
>>
>>2692803
It's a skill that still needs to be honed, but some are better about it than others, that's for sure. the best artists I ever met in the industry are actually pretty fucking genius overall.
>>
File: 1474318929832.jpg (36KB, 481x315px) Image search: [Google]
1474318929832.jpg
36KB, 481x315px
This is 100% bait.
>>2692645
>Kr0n made this when he was fucking 12 years old
>http://www.lizalegina.com/lifestyle
Because she was his art teacher, autist. Lyceum. I bet you never seen how 16 years should draw for entrance examination in any good art school
>They'll say that when he was a kid his parents forced him to work very hard and that's why he's so skilled now. But you're wrong. He has talent. And he's not even the best artist out of there.
This is another bullshit. There is no interviews where he said this. Pure fanfiction
PURGE THIS THREAD
>>
>>2692645
It's 95% work and 5% talent. But you can only do those 95% if yo have the latter 5%.
>>
>>2692831
once you have a somewhat competent understanding of the fundamentals, it's all about what you actually want to say with yourt art. That's what most people on /ic/ just don't seem to want to understand. If you have nothing to say with your art, no one will ever care about your work, doesn't matter how good it is. On the other hand, if you do have something to say, all you need is the average skill required to do so competently and people will care.
>>
There is talent, there are kids who can intuitively see a 3d cube on 2d paper without any practice while some require a lot of visualization training.
>>
>>2692897
>If you have nothing to say with your art, no one will ever care about your work, doesn't matter how good it is.
Not exactly true. People like Sargent are still remembered for being at level 11 out of 10 for painting skills, even though most of his paintings didn't say much at all.
>>
File: mind blocks.jpg (461KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
mind blocks.jpg
461KB, 800x533px
>>2692897
The majority of people would pass by an artwork if it didn't capture their interest at first glance, aka if it wasn't aesthetically pleasing, unless they're an elitist or have a degree in contemporary art and will care enough to inquire about the work and read the longwinded diatribe on the artist statement. And if you didn't take the time to do that, there is nothing objective being stated otherwise -- you're merely looking at it with your own interpretation with no external influence. Tell me, what are artists like Gerhard Richter, Marlene Dumas, and Cecily Brown saying through their work that is so compelling that makes them some of the most financially, socially and culturally successful artists out there?

Pic related: "Mind Blocks" by Marlene Dumas
>>
>drawing from reference
>impressive at any age

Wew lad
>>
>>2692791
>this stage is more like one year. Maybe less if you do it 5 times a week.

if that's true how come so many on /ic/ still suck at drawing?
>>
>>2692948
Because they're not applying themselves? Your average art school program will give great results, provided you're interested in learning.

The problem is, many, even among art students, either suck at motivation or really are just not into it that much. Their practice ends when the lessons do, or they're slacking, or they don't want to put in the work.

Tons of people go to the gym, only a few of those get ripped, even less gets to Herculean physique.

The weights are all the same for everyone and exercises are known for centuries, it's all in men, not in tools or programs.
>>
>>2692948
>if that's true how come so many on /ic/ still suck at drawing?
Why are so many on /fit/ still out of shape? Most people are lazy.
>>
>>2692656
if someone makes you feel jealous enough to make retarded threads on /ic/ that someone is talented
>>
>>2692948
because most of them believe in talent.
>>
>>2692902
This. It just depends if kids have the right idea of drawing, such as viewing lines on a 3d space in the paper and drawing what their eyes see instead of what their brain interprets.

If they could project their own abstract ideas of how process of drawing is made you could very much see the difference of the thought process that the talented kid has vs the non-talented kid.

What discourages tons of kids from drawing is that they want to draw stuff from imagination 99% of the time instead of following reference and it looks like shit.
>>
>>2692725
This
>>
>>2692645
>tfw the only people in your way are people with talent as you already work hard
>>
>>2692902
Please provide evidence for this claim, otherwise this is baseless conjecture.
>>
>>2693478
Its not baseless I knew kids like this myself. Its pretty obvious if you payed any attention to other kids while in school.
>>
>>2692645
How is this a productive thread in any way?
>>
>>2693493
it's an anti-productive thread where people make wild assumptions about the children they knew nothing about growing up and then blame them for not being able to improve at art.
>>
>>2693499
I thought I knew nothing too until they started to understand things in class in a mere second while I was still thinking. They didn't work hard or anything for that, that's talent.
>>
The biggest part of talent is knowing how to learn something. People shit around and do it for fun and get the guise of things over years where as some people understand that there is a method to improving not only what you can draw or paint, but what you can compose and see in your mind beforehand. It's all rigorous study and application time. It's funny how we assume people are just good at things and if you ask them what they do in their free time they probably just lie and tell you this and that so you don't know that this hobby consumes them at times and it's all they get into.
>>
>>2692645

But I have a bigger dick.
>>
>>2693562
>It's funny how we assume people are just good at things
I blame parents. They literally just assume you will be good. Like what the fuck? It doesn't work like that.
>>
talent is just a word for having a half decent IQ and starting on a skill early.

If you have a low IQ you'll learn more slowly but there is nothing else to it baring fucked up eyes or motor control.
>>
>>2693573
>IQ meme
>>
>>2692730
I'm almost entirely sure memes like this where really young kids do some decent painting way before their brain would be capable and the proceed to put out shit for the rest of their life are just parents trying to get quick cash through the novelty value of a child being good at something by doing it themselves.

Worked for the Picasso Family
>>
>>2693576
>IQ Is a meme meme
Low IQ detected, enjoy your slow gainz
>>
>>2693584
I try, anon. I'll kick your ass through hard work.
>>
>>2693589
We both have the same amount of time to work with :^)
>>
>>2693590
Do we? How many hours you using a day, anon? 24? That's what I thought.
>>
>>2692651
He really did.. that's unfortunate. His anime style is nice, but it's so repetitive. Wish he did more realism
>>
File: 34254353535353.png (410KB, 1000x512px) Image search: [Google]
34254353535353.png
410KB, 1000x512px
>>2693584
>>
>>2693635
People who have low IQs or are crippled are the real losers
>>
>>2693315
oohhh, he's gonna need a burn heal for that one
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.