[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started drawing commissions, and now after I've finished

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: Lazy Lake.jpg (666KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lazy Lake.jpg
666KB, 1920x1080px
I just started drawing commissions, and now after I've finished my first one, received payment and everything was OK, the client asked me to send him the PSD file.

Should I send it? If no, why not?
What could go wrong?
>>
>>2691650
Never done commissions but the client having the psd file could lead to the client being able to claim that they made the painting/drawing.
>>
>>2691650

- merge all layers, make the psd same pixel size as jpg file you sent, or maybe 25% bigger.
- if asked why only one layer you say you constantly merge layers as you work
>>
>>2691656
Or client is simply curious how that picture was made.
>>
>>2691650
>>2691656
>>2691657

Jesus fuck your guys (and amateurs) are acting like the client is some enemy, pulling shit like that will only create hostility when you should be creating good relationships

1. you should have made the terms clear on whether you were to send him a high resolution image or a psd, and whether they were free to use it for commercial purposes. here's a good template https://www.reddit.com/r/artstore/comments/2lvrtu/contracts_how_to_protect_yourself_your_client_and/

2. There's no reason why they would claim the art is theirs, your email conversations are archived and it's not like they'd be able to reproduce it anyway
>>
>>2691650
Sending the PSD file over is pretty standard.
>>
>>2691693
This.
I send the PSD If the Client wants it.

Its never happened to me but If they wanted to steal your stuff they will find a way even without the psd.
>>
>>2691650
Don't listen to the paranoid nutters, give your client the PSD file as it is.
>>
>>2691656
they DO own the painting/drawing
they fucking brought it.
Warhol used to talk about this directly when asked about his factory's, he still was the artist, he just employed other artists to make what he wanted to make, he still "owned" the work even though he did not create it, he paid for it.

once you hand over the work for currency, you deemed the currency more important that ownership of the product.

you build a house for cash, you dont own the house, you are a laborer
>>
>>2691762
good explanation
>>
>>2691765
>good explanation
If you're an illiterate moron with no interest in how copyright actually works, maybe.

>>2691762
>once you hand over the work for currency, you deemed the currency more important that ownership of the product.
Wrong.

>hey fucking brought it.
Warhol used to talk about this directly when asked about his factory's, he still was the artist, he just employed other artists to make what he wanted to make, he still "owned" the work even though he did not create it, he paid for it.
Completely different situation to the OP.

A work created by an employee in the scope of his job is owned by the employer, which the Warhol situation presumably was. This is what happens when you're actually employed by a studio.

Contracted works (commissions) are LEGALLY OWNED BY THE ARTIST UNLESS EXPRESSLY AGREED TO VIA SIGNED CONTRACT.

"Work for hire", you dumb fuck, learn the law.
>>
>>2691650
Thats real nice OP do you have a blog?
>>
>>2691650
I always do. They paid for it, they should get the PSD if they want it.
>>
>>2691780
kek, yet people in india will still rip your work every time.
>>
You are missing out on some money here.
Its pretty common that a client should pay 50% – 150% of the initial cost extra if they want the PSD.
>>
>>2691791
>oh noes the hindus done stole muh IP and are hurting muh profits
-said no one ever
>>
>>2691795
it could happen, lets not joke about these things.
>>
>>2691799
I'm sorry, anon. That was unprofessional of me.
>>
>>2691793
Uh what? Ive never heard of such a thing being common. Maybe certain artists run thing this way but I have yet to see it
>>
merge everything and downscale to whatever size you agreed to if you have not given printing rights/copyright over
if you have, just send him the file, you're done with it anyway

most likely, he is just asking for a psd because muh industry standard
>>
>>2691650

No problem in sending it. The only problem I'de have is if your workflow is embarrassingly bad just as a personal qualm for being bad with your process but there's no big issue in doing so OP.

Got a page OP? Nice stuff.
>>
>>2691780
This.

Unless you sign over Rights, You will always have the copyright.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.