[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are ateliers good places to train draftsmanship skills for someone

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

are ateliers good places to train draftsmanship skills for someone wanting to do digital afterward?

how much will it help to have background in traditional media (charcoal, paint), going into digital?

i've seen a range of answers to these floating around, but not any serious discussion iirc
>>
>>2689731
It really depends on the atelier. Ones that teach sight size are reliant on having a reference and copying 2d shapes, so aren't that well suited for going into digital illustration. Ones that are more based on construction will help more for that. Both will help with your understanding of shapes and values though. Traditional skills tend to transfer over to digital very well.
>>
>>2689731
To risk sounding corny, drawing is 'vision on paper', -quote Loomis. In the case of digital, it's vision on a screen. So there is definitely a lot of transfer, just from getting better with drawing media.

Ateliers and MAYBE local art-guild classes are probably your best options for training draftsmanship. Real artschools are much too expensive, and state-university art programs are not focused enough to really make you better at drawing (even if it's a good illustration program).

Plus that with some good online classes such as John Park's Patreon classes, and more industrial-design drawing methods such as from Scott Robertson's 'How to Draw' book, and you'll catch a decent amount of info that ateliers generally won't teach you. There's a lot of other stuff you could do to supplement, but no reason to make a list.

In terms of painting, I don't have first-hand experience with the cross-over. But many people can attest to painting skills being worthwhile and helping out with digital.

tl;dr yes, definitely.
>>
>>2689731

It is pretty simple. You go to atelier, art school, or any place where people are teaching others to paint. You look at the paintings teachers produce. You then look at quality of students work. If they are on level with the image you posted I would say YES. If it is bad or even worse they smear shit, create modern art your best course of action is to turn away and never return.

Once you learn the fundamentals you can paint in any media. You just need to master the material, you won't magically lose the knowledge you learned when you transfer from traditional to digital.
>>
>>2689731
Can help, but it depends more on you. The workflow when doing traditional is completely different and you need to enjoy working with traditional tools and materials and be able to spend some time on it to get good results.

I find traditional often slower and it discourages me from experimenting, so I don't want to use it when learning. If I was much better, maybe I would do it, but for now I will stay with digital.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.