[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here is focusing on being a pure artist as career? Who

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

Who here is focusing on being a pure artist as career?

Who has a second job or is in school for a career that's not art-related?

>be me
>be in school for STEM
>want to go to grad school after

I'm basically resigned to being a hobbyist.
>>
>tfw CS
>don't know what to focus on because both are time consuming as fuck
The pure artist route looks great, but so far.
>>
>>2688757
full art here, as expected, not pretty. 23, living with parents. they are making bank but getting older, so its something to worry about, but they said they have about 10 years of work left in them. i think theyre trying to comfort me.
>>
>>2688760
Looks like the nice life really.
>>
>>2688757
I'm already working as an artist but maybe I will quit. It's not enjoyable at all.
>>
>>2688757
Started off in STEM because I thought the only way to live was by getting some job and working it till retirement. I got a job after finishing my undergrad, and it turns out working at something you don't like every day for the rest of your life is not for me. After a couple of years of grinding as a wageslave, I had enough money to live modestly off of for a few years, so that's what I did. Now I'm doing art full time, and hope to start actually getting paid for it eventually.
I just wish I had started the art career earlier. I could've been doing it professionally by now if I had.
>>
>>2688763
Elaborate?
>>
>>2688764
Anon you got me tearing up over here. What's the choice? Start art now? Or get that job and money?
>>
>>2688766
I've hated every art assignment and every one felt like a chore. I don't have any other skills though so I'm stuck with this I guess.
>>
>>2688758
How are you liking CS? Are you studying it because of interest or job prospects?
>>
>>2688777
It's both or so it was once upon a time. Then I realized all the shit you got to do to get a job after school and don't really know if it's worth it anymore. You're practically working in your free time just to get a job, but as result that means no time for anything else. But really I just wanted to become a Game Designer, but that actually requires you to make games as I've said before about working in your free time. Art is pretty much straightforward, but it's all about how fast can you improve before you run out of support and I've always enjoyed it too.
>>
>>2688768
Well it depends on a number of factors. For one, I didn't really realize what I wanted back then, which is why I didn't have the balls to say "Fuck money, I wanna be a starving artist until I get good". This life definitely isn't for everyone, but I've had my taste of the normie wageslave lifestyle, and I can't take it. The thought of selling away the next 40 years of my life for a paycheck is unbearable. Don't get me wrong, If I get a chance to work another 9-5 for an art studio, I'll gladly take it, because I've realized that I generally do enjoy drawing 8+ hours a day.
The other thing is that I wouldn't be able to be living on my own right now if I hadn't worked my ass off at that job for a couple of years to save and invest some money. My parents are very supportive, but I really don't want to go back to relying on them, so I'm glad I'm able to do this on my own.

Bottom line, you gotta ask yourself. "Am I willing to work on art every day for the rest of my life, even if I never make it?" If you enjoy what you're doing now, I'd suggest doing it until you really have an idea of what you want. For me, it got to the point that I'd sleep for 4-5 hours a night because I was up late drawing and doing other stuff, then I'd get to work the next day and I'd be either fighting off sleep, or doodling in my notebook while pretending to be working.
>>
>>2688757
>be 22
>work at mcdonalds
>live with brother and sister so i only pay $300 for rent, and i make about $1200 a month
>lots of extra money for hobbies
>i work at busiest mcdonalds in my state,
>i dont go to school

and im one of very few workers there that actually know how to do shit and available all day.. so its really hard to get fired. take fake $20s all the time,and i dont even get a write up. sometimes when i feel like it i dont even go to work just so i can paint. yeah i get hassled by the managers the next morning but i know they wont do shit.
my family and friends tell me constantly to sell my art. which i dont think is a good idea because im into painting demons and monsters and weird fucked up shit.no really BIG market for my stuff.
so all i do is post every once and a while on my instagram, but recently people i know have started following me and now i cant really post my super gore stuff ive been working on
>>
>>2688882

Mind posting your work Mcanon?
>>
File: KIMG0100.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0100.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
Started out making false teeth rather then going to art school pretty cool artsy job, made enough a to buy a house, now I rent rooms out and live in the garage/studio, grow veggies in back yard pic related. I am 38 so don't know if I am going to make but have plenty of time and a skill to fall back on. Living the dream.
>>
>>2688882
What's your ig?
>>
>>2688757
Full time achieving here. Working everyday, have small workspace, constant fight with money but don't really care. Usually travel to europe for winter.
>>
>>2688757
working artist, no side job. have my own apartment, nothing fancy. pays the bills, and becomes more and more sustainable as each year passes and my resume grows.
>>
>>2688757
Yes, I'm making that attempt. So tired of STEM and the non creative grinding of an office job.
>>
>>2688757
Part time here. I inherited my Grandpa's farm but only have to go out there 2 times a year minimum to do shit. Less work because fucking tropics. Rest of the year I chill in the city and git gud because I hate dealing with people. One of these days I'm probably just going to save up enough to build a small home out there and just do what I like.
>>
>>2688758
>>2688782

Are you me?

>CS
>area with very few CS jobs
>internships rare
>enjoyed programming at first but now hate it
>1 year left so can't quit now
>arts incredibly enjoyable, even when I'm learning or doing it for money/doing it in my free time

The prospect of the CS degree is that I'm possible going to get a well paying stable job in my area. The negative though is I doubt I'll be happy. I literally started CS as I wanted to do game design at some point and I had incredible grades up to this point but I have no strive anymore.
>>
>>2688757

Medical student here.

I just want to get good so I can enjoy it and so I can paint landscapes and bible fanart.

Fuck the "art industry," seriously. Why should one submit himself to the torture and pressure of having to work and to draw shit he couldn't care less about.
>>
>>2689828
Literally me, I tried to get happy with CS, but now I am switching to other stuff because despite knowing my shit just thinking about doing anything as part of a job makes me puke. CS is cancer. Looking outside CS, everyone else seems to have advanced beyond the stone age, while CS is still in its infancy and people just push through with 99% grinding. CS basically grinds now for everyone else who got their shit automated. And the tools suck. Oh god, do they suck.
>>
File: 1471137573317.jpg (193KB, 1100x977px) Image search: [Google]
1471137573317.jpg
193KB, 1100x977px
>>2688757
Oh shit are you me? I want to study physics before going full art mode
>>
File: not.jpg (28KB, 415x476px) Image search: [Google]
not.jpg
28KB, 415x476px
I thought I would do this but I just can't. I don't know how you guys do it. STEM is just so boring to me. I just can't force myself study it. It's too difficult for me to just power through it like I did in school. You can't just memorize but you actually need to try to understand what you are studying. But I can't do that if I have this constant voice in my head saying "FUCK THIS SHIT". I just can't focus on it at all. 3 to 5 years of this DAILY is just too much for me. And then for what? For a potentially well paying job that I will probably not enjoy anyways? I mean don't you need to be still quite dedicated at your job? I just couldn't have the dedication for it if all the time I would rather be home drawing.
>>
ITT: people who aren't gonna make it in life
>>
>>2689948
Fuck I know that feel too well man. But if not stem then what else is there? I was thinking graphic design since it's semi art related but I got told that there's no jobs and shit pay.
>>
File: annie mays.jpg (112KB, 628x436px) Image search: [Google]
annie mays.jpg
112KB, 628x436px
>>2688757
I'm moving out this weekend to finally start working full time as an architect. However i also want to draw and maybe do a webcomic in my spare time.

I'm not sure if i will have any spare time.
>>
>>2688826
>I'd sleep 4-5 hours a night
Don't do this if you care about improving.
Sleeping is a crucial part of the process your brain uses to permanently learn something.

If you want to make sure your brain is optimally processing what its learned over the day get the full 8 hours of sleep you need every night. Also, if you only sleep 4-5 hours a night, the next day your concentration and ability to learn anything will be worse than usual because you didn't get enough sleep for it to function optimally the next day.
>>
>>2688757
Drawing as a career is just too exhausting for me and kills my love for it. I don't want to make my favorite hobby my job, then it won't be my favorite hobby anymore... Now I work a regular 9-5 job that pays decent enough and is only slightly art related. I draw in my time off when I want to, wouldn't want it any other way. I like being comfy, I guess.
>>
>>2690031
This, getting a good sleep is integral to your well-being, it relaxes you, allows memories and brain links to form and relieves your blood pressure and so on.

Also staying up late is always a bad idea, since you'll wake up late anyway and maybe feel like crap in the morning, but if you go to bed early, get up early, you'll feel refreshed and will probably accomplish more.
>>
>>2689834
same argument can be pointed towards any other industry. why go into coding and become a monkey coding something you don't care about? people pay to get things they cant make / do by themselves. i gladly trade my time and skills as an artist for money.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.