[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I bring my painting skills up to a industry-standard level?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: 1415377878303.jpg (177KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1415377878303.jpg
177KB, 500x750px
How do I bring my painting skills up to a industry-standard level?

My drawing skills are FAR better than my painting skills, and I feel the reasoning behind that is because I've put in so much mileage into drawing than painting. SO, how do I approach buffing my painting skills? Let's say I have a DECENT amount of knowledge in traditional and digital painting...I know how to render form in value, I know how to turn edges

but when it comes to temperature control, color saturation, basically anything color, everything that I know and love falls apart.
What are the steps I should take in the painting realm? Perhaps master color and value studies, but I feel that only takes me so far.
>>
Pick up some gouache and try it, you're not forbidden from undersketching so your drawing skills will help you that much, but you should know that just doing it is the first step
>>
File: color-and-light.jpg (63KB, 418x489px) Image search: [Google]
color-and-light.jpg
63KB, 418x489px
This book covers what you're asking for in detail and then some. I don't know if there's a version you can download, but it's not all that expensive to buy either.
>>
>just doing it is the first step
You're ultimately right

I guess drawing got to such a high level because of how easy it was to actively draw. When I paint, I gotta get all my paints together, get my palette set up, get my canvas set up, etc. and in that time I could have drawn some other things.

idk, maybe just getting a small portable gouache set that I carry around is enough.
>>
>>2687850
invest some time in making a permanent space where you can paint without having to set up/break down every session, and invest in some nice materials

if you don't want to do that just paint digitally, and try limiting your palette to only a few colors at first

the hardest thing for me to get past was finding colors I liked, if I don't plan my palette first I end up all over the place
this is true for traditional and digital, but especially digital
>>
What do you want to do exactly? You say 'industry standard' but what part of the industry? Doing what?
>>
>industry-standard level

Once again, /ic/ automatically assumes the illustration industry = fantasy/sci-fi/concept art. This triggers me.
>>
paint paint paint, and maybe some master studies
>>
>>2687819
>I've put in so much mileage into drawing than painting
>How do I bring my painting skills up
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>2687953
probably that he's been drawing a lot and not painting a lot and id trying to now make the transition. paint paint paint and keep drawing
>>
File: IndustryStandardIMO.jpg (599KB, 2036x794px) Image search: [Google]
IndustryStandardIMO.jpg
599KB, 2036x794px
>>2687889
>>2687901
I guess pic related is as close as I can get to showing what I mean when I say industry standard.

> automatically assumes the illustration industry = fantasy/sci-fi/concept art.
You're also right, I should have specified.
>>
>>2688064
You still haven't told me what you want to do, but I assume you mean concept art.

How are your designs? Doesn't matter how good you paint if you can't design well. That is much more important.

Also do you use 3D? It is becoming increasingly expected of concept artists that they can use 3D due to how fast it makes generating accurate work.
>>
>>2688146
Yes essentially concept work. Being able to work fast, yet efficiently is something I strive to get to.
But work for Magic the Gathering could also fit in where I want my skills to be as well.

My design sense definitely is something I'm constantly working on. Kind of goes hand in hand with drawing. I'm not where I want to be with my designs, they're slightly above mediocre, but I can have some kickass ones from time to time. It's hard to say without showing you stuff.

I've used sketchup, but It's becoming clear to me that Maya and Zbrush are also things I need in my belt too.

Perhaps I could mix design and painting together to make something? That way I'm practicing drawing+design or painting+design? Because I know brushstrokes and graphic shapes are also elements to consider in a painting.
>>
>>2688184
Hey you don't need to write your reply as if you're selling yourself in an interview, just be clear cut about things, no need for sugar coating.

Learn 3D, like, really learn it. You'll need it if you want to do concept art.
Focus more on design than the rest. A good design can survive poor execution, but a poor design can't be saved by good execution.
>>
How do you know what the game developers want in a concept artist when you make your portfolio? For example, Blizzard. What do they like? Not typical fantasy shit or scifi shit, if so then what?
>>
If you have something you want more than anything, you will get it if you are at your best and serving as you know how.
>>
>>2688239
Thanks, senpai.
>>
File: 1470187867002.jpg (339KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1470187867002.jpg
339KB, 1920x1080px
>>2688213
Yee sometimes I forget where we are

Do you know any good 3d resources/vids right off the mind?
>>
>>2688184
>It's hard to say without showing you stuff
Then post your work, you pussified liberal.
>>
File: MrConceptArt.jpg (28KB, 649x600px) Image search: [Google]
MrConceptArt.jpg
28KB, 649x600px
>>2688184
You need to master generic near future characters, as well as have a good understanding of chromatic aberration and toasters.
>>
Get this DVD.

Color the Daniel Greene method. It is more
Applicable to portrait painting easy to digest may not cover all things related to color but it is a good take in color that I have not heard any where else. He is a master.
>>
>>2689020
max kek, is that guy still making parody concept art?
>>
>>2687828
this book will never be available for download you have to buy it.
>>
>>2689030
He has his own based website. He sells mugs and shit for charity, but he doesn't update that much. Still, the 'reviews' of himself get me each time.

https://mrconceptart.com/
>>
>>2687828
>the bought this book but left it at my stepdad's place and he won't let me back in the house because we got into a fight 6 years ago
fucking hate that asshole
>>
File: ChaseStone.jpg (868KB, 1080x1465px) Image search: [Google]
ChaseStone.jpg
868KB, 1080x1465px
>>2688184
>Magic the Gathering
This is the ridiculous standard that MtG is moving towards. I don't even. Can't tell if he uses 3D and photos or not. I guess? But it's not always blatantly obvious where and what is what. It's well integrated. I don't know how one would visualize something like this and get to this point. WTF.
>>
>>2689174
mtg is shit pay why would you want to do anything but photobash?
>>
>>2689179
they pay better than pretty much any other tcg
>>
>>2689174
mtg artists all use 3d now. Minimal painting is involved for a lot of the artists. I've seen cards where they just copy and past a sky in, make subtle color changes and leave it. That game has seriously lost a lot of originality to it in terms of art direction.

Now don't get me wrong. There's still a lot of mtg artists that stick to the roots.Those are the best artworks imo.
>>
>>2687819
Copy master paintings by eye, no color picker. for traditional do color scales. Do them both a lot.
>>
>>2689174
>>2689228
It's the idea that the image is so small they can get away with it. No one is going to know if you photobashed a sky because of the print quality and the size.
>>
>>2689152
This is making me mad that I still can't get my physical copy from my stepdad's place
reeeeeeee
>>
>>2689152
how? pls i want also ;-;
>>
>>2687850
Use a smaller pallete. I'm telling you, use monochrome painting to establish form and lighting which you should be decent at if you're familiar with drawing, then just use Prussian blue, cad red and yellow, and white. Learn to mix colors and how the interact while working on composition. You can also practice with fewer brushes and setting up and clean up becomes a breeze.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.