[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, Loomis discussion time. I get the process through which

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: loomis.png (13KB, 494x469px) Image search: [Google]
loomis.png
13KB, 494x469px
Ok, Loomis discussion time.

I get the process through which Loomis wants you to construct a head, but I still struggle with it months after drawing with it.

The biggest and most glaring problem is how much of the sides do you 'cut away' from the sphere you use to construct the head? I've tried various distances and I still can't seem to get it right no matter how hard I try. It feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here.
>>
>>2686860
It's not an exact thing. It's just an approximation of the head, and it will vary a bit from person to person. You don't need to shave off very much though usually.
>>
two thirds of the sphere's height or so

of course the real answer is that you should draw lots of skulls and get a feel for how craniums are supposed to look
>>
>>2686860
have you tried looking at... dare I say... Prokos head videos that are based on loomis method? really helped me a lot.
>>
>>2686866
>It's not an exact thing
Yes, it is. The radius of the cut off is equal to 1/3 of the face plate height.
>>
>>2686860
dude. if you've literally been struggling with this for months, it's time to move on. loomis is not the only explanation for how to draw heads. find someone else's interpretation.
>>
>>2687035
Even Loomis says to vary things depending on the head type. Besides, the sphere with cut sides is just meant to be a simple version of the skull, so it's never going to be exact. If you wanted to be precise technically you wouldn't even slice it at parallel to the main axis, you would slice it at an angle since the front edges of the skulls are closer together than the ones at the back.
>>
>>2687079
It "varies" in the same way any other body proportions vary. You do not tell a beginner to just wing it, you tell them the exact proportion.
>>
can we some examples of yours so we know what level you're at?

definitely look for another resource/interpretation of this method if this isn't working for you. loomis doesn't always connect with me.
>>
>>2687101
There's nothing wrong with telling a beginner that proportions vary and there isn't an exact answer, in fact any good book will explain this very clearly. Getting caught up in how much to slice off the sphere is a waste of time. Just shave off a little bit and eyeball it to match the model or based on what you think looks acceptable. It's really not a difficult task, and not something that is ironclad. Loomis himself simply says to shave off a little bit.
>>
>>2687107
>There's nothing wrong with telling a beginner that proportions vary and there isn't an exact answer,
There's everything wrong with it when his exact problem is inability to find a correct proportion, especially since the slice serves as the basis for finding proportions of the face (radius) and skull (bigger slice means narrower and longer cranium).

Stop doing him "favours", when he is capable of playing with construction, he won't need anyone on 4chan to tell him to do it.
>>
>>2687110
>his exact problem is inability to find a correct proportion
I bet you that is not his main problem. This is literally a very simple thing to do, so if he is having trouble with it then there is likely something deeper like an inability to think in 3d or a lack of understanding on how to draw a proper ellipse.
>>
>>2687113
>inability to think in 3d or a lack of understanding on how to draw a proper ellipse.
Then tell him that and address what you assume is the problem instead of making useless, vague comments.
>>
>>2687113
Drawing a proper ellipse is hard as fuck m8
>>
>>2687119
I told him to not worry about the amount he needs to cut off. Though to be honest if he's been struggling for months on this I doubt he will ever be able to progress on his own.
>>
gee, thanks, guys.
>>
>>2687140
>get the literal answer to your question, in the proportion of the diameter to the sphere and the radius to other features
>get directed to alternate resources you might understand more easily
>get told it is not necessary to make it exactly those proportions and that you need to think in 3d
>gee thanks
>>
I know how you feel OP. I felt the same way at times. This overthinking will murder you though. Here's how to solve it.

1. Stop worrying about it and just try something
2. When the result looks wrong, make a note of it and understand why
3. Repeat

OK, so maybe you want a step by step procedure. I suggest starting with skulls. Here's a model. Use it or something like it:
https://sketchfab.com/models/a04a252f8376401bad417f0d9f263b2a

Look at it from every angle and try to understand the form. Now hide it and try to quickly draw that skull from the front view WITHOUT LOOKING AT ANY REFERENCE. You can use a Loomis head as a base but don't obsess over it.

Next, look at your result and compare to the reference. Naturally it's fucked but just choose ONE thing which is most wrong about it. Hide the reference and draw again with that in mind.

Repeat. You will quickly start to get a handle on the front view through sheer repetition. While you do this, try to keep the entire form in mind and keep turning the 3D model around.

Next step, do the same process with the side view. You will find this to be easier since you already understand the front. Again, only compare to the reference after finishing each drawing, and improve one thing with each step.

Next, start moving on to arbitrary angles. For each new angle, try to draw it from your head before looking at the model. This will test if you understand the form.

I guarantee this will help.
>>
>>2687368
so now u know how to draw skull, but still suck at drawing whole head with all the skin bone and muscles...
>>
>>2686860
Then you've obviously not studied what he tells you correctly...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.