[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the protocol for getting featured in magazines like ImagineFX

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: imaginefx.jpg (81KB, 378x512px) Image search: [Google]
imaginefx.jpg
81KB, 378x512px
What is the protocol for getting featured in magazines like ImagineFX and "news" websites like Kotaku?
I know a lot of people who get features, articles, etc. that aren't bad... but they're certainly not great.
Normally I'm not one to shy away from just asking people directly about how they did something, but it's kind of an awkward question to be like, "Hey, I'm happy that you got featured and all, but was there more than just talent behind why that happened?" Inevitably and understandably people are going to take this personally even though honestly I'm far less interested in critiquing them than I am in figuring out what more goes into the process that I'm not aware of. In this field (and many others, I'm sure), there's such a downplay of any factor of your success that isn't just grit and hard work - even though things like one's network are arguably MORE important than your portfolio in many cases. I know the world is full of nepotism. That's not any one artist or person's fault, I just want to understand the depth of it in any particular situation.
...or am I assuming to much?
Does anyoen have experience with the process of featuring atists on platforms such as this - either as part of the platform or an artist that was featured at one time or another?
Thanks.
>>
>>2686793
ImagineFX you need to submit your stuff to be featured, or you can offer to them to do a tutorial for them but they have a long queue of people already for that apparently. Not sure about Kotaku.
>>
>>2686793
being good
>>
I've been interviewed by a few small blogs before. The #1 thing I could recommend is to make a series of work, instead of standalone illustrations.

Series of work are infinitely more shareable, and it makes for a very easy piece of content for blogs to reuse.

A series of fan art with a twist on it (either in idea or execution) is by far the easiest thing to widely share online.
>>
>>2686809
good to know, thanks!
>>
>>2686793
>Kotaku

You have to either be personal friends with the bloggers, heavily SJW, or already famous enough for them to care. Gaming is dominated by manchildren and the kind of trash you'd find at a "journalism" craigslist course. They're honestly stuck up insufferable beta males. God forbid anything you draw doesn't have enough diversity/fully clothed women.

Just stick to magazines and more reputable communities, it's better for your image.
>>
>>2686797
kotaku is like a much shittier and cringey version of buzz feed
>>
>>2686797
>>2686793
it just happens. They contact you. I have gotten on their "artist spotlight" and later they contacted me to have a feature spread of one of my paintings. (They pay to use your work for that one). They sent me a bunch of questions about the piece and I wrote a whole lot which they put it all together in the end for the spread.

I have also done several Q/A articles for them (pays, again). They send me a bunch of questions and I choose the 2 I like the most out of them. I then either use an old image or create a whole new image to create the Q/A. I have to writes so many words about the general question along with specific side bits and tips. They want you to record them but my computer wasn't capable of recording effectively at the time.

Recently I have had a new computer that's capable of recording so I started making my own video tutorials. ImagineFX sent me an email one day asking to review my video and to send them a review copy. I told them "Hey, it's just a fun little thing I created to raise some funds for a trip to visit my GF so it's not like your normal art tutorial videos. Are you sure?" They replied back to me "yeah it looks like a great video. It wasn't that much so we went ahead and just bought a copy to review."

They gave it a great review and I sold a lot more copies. It was great. They are a great magazine full of just the nicest people in the world.

Kotaku... they won't even contact you. They just DO it. They posted a bunch of my work on there and I got a shit ton of messages from people saying "dude you're featured on kotaku!"
>>
>>2687146
I wanted to say, not related to this topic

Will you assholes stop calling other people out as me? When I post, it's like this. I don't reply to shitposters or care what any negative thing /ic/ says about me.
>>
>>2687146
>posts here are works of fiction
>>
>>2687182
I'm not assuming you're trying to troll me specifically so I'll just ask with innocent intentions.

What part there exactly do you think is made up? Be specific. Show me on the doll.
>>
>>2687210
Don't bother trying to explain yourself to people.
>>
>>2687222
now I'm just confused..

Like... is is your post in support or ...

I don't know what anything means anymore.
>>
>>2687210
>Hey, it's just a fun little thing I created to raise some funds for a trip to visit my GF so it's not like your normal art tutorial videos
>my GF
>>
>>2687225
I realized it was confusing after I posted it - whoops!

It was supportive. I was trying to say how I usually find it not worth it to try and "prove" yourself to people when you're trying to be helpful. >>2687146 is very informative and obviously a real experience, so thanks a ton for sharing it. :^)
>>
>>2687776
thanks, I really appreciate it. I've been having a hard time telling what people might fight mean with their words because.... of a certain kind of mental illness.

I'm pretty useless as a person right now but arting is the one thing I still the kill got.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.