[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is this art-style called? No, I'm not referring to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: TWEWY (1).jpg (470KB, 712x710px) Image search: [Google]
TWEWY (1).jpg
470KB, 712x710px
What is this art-style called? No, I'm not referring to "anime". It's like very contemporary and urban and I used to see it all the time in cartoons when I was a kid.
>>
>>2686131
Just another example (I know it's a bit different, but the feel is the same).
>>
>>2686132
forgot pic oops
>>
>>2686131
Are you talking about the pointy western like illustrations
Ala:
>Douman Seiman
>Jet set radio
>Gen Kobayashi
Is that the style you are refering to?
>>
not everything has a name.
>>
File: the-emperors-new-groove.jpg (383KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
the-emperors-new-groove.jpg
383KB, 612x380px
>>2686131
I don't think it has a name. The closest thing I can think of where you could google and get references and alike would be early 2000s cartoons, where it seemed to be a trend, the sharp edge cartoony art-style.
>>
>>2686131
Not every style has a name, there's a gajillion billion artists out there. Just find out the name of the character designer.
>>
>>2686154
>those low tits on the evil chick (forgot her name)

I never noticed before
>>
>>2686131
It's called "TESTUYA NOMURA"

and to reiterate anon here >>2686159
>>
>>2686131
grunge
>>
I don't know either but it has a lot of energy.
>>
>>2686131
It's almost the same as Kingdom Hearts.
>>
File: aehea.jpg (56KB, 556x314px) Image search: [Google]
aehea.jpg
56KB, 556x314px
>>2686131

I actually like the work of Jamie Hewlett. It has some graphic-novel-grunge-2k feel to it.

Must be nostalgia.
>>
File: Hewl-Tanky.jpg (193KB, 660x673px) Image search: [Google]
Hewl-Tanky.jpg
193KB, 660x673px
>>2686131
>>2686134

Id call it urban graphic art.

Read tank girl. It really is the progenitor of this style and in many ways the best example of it. Cluttered, heavily weighted linework with lots of energy and a grunge rock sensibility. Lots of grafitti and cigarettes.

It was jamie hewlett's baby before he went on to gorillaz.
>>
>>2686131
It's the Nutshack
>>
>>2686131
It's just a variant of anime with an emphasis on hard shadows, thick outlines, poorly constructed angles and exaggerated anatomy. The theme is urban, but whether this can be considered part of the style itself is debatable.

It's basically what every wigger or skater with an IQ of 90 likes to draw.
>>
OP, what you're lookin for is artists who really like super bold line work and intentionally flat shape design along with a love for graffiti and/or punk aesthetics (graffiti is where the bold lines, heavy shape design and super flat feel comes from, punk gives you a more clustered and grungy/quick/intentionally messy feel compositionally and design wise, both share a very kinetic sense of energy)

i don't really know what you're thinking about with american cartoons unless you mean like, the post donovan cook's 2 stupid dogs era where people like genndy tartakovsky and craig mccracken were really into that kinda post-hannah barbera character design revival which had a heavy focus on very distinct and intentionally flat shape design.

>>2686764
>>2686810
gen kobayashi (character designer and artist for TWEWY, aka OP's pic) was personally trained by nomura to emulate his style and while they seem to share a loooot in terms of construction, the way kobayashi likes to finish his work in terms of inking and colors is very different compared to nomura's

>>2686825
to anyone who likes jamie hewlett's work, you should really check out, anyone else who worked on tank girl like jim mahfood & ashley wood (and even tho they didn't work on TG, you'd probably really like robert valley, and this dude http://yearinmerde.blogspot.com/ (have to link him, he's a bit obscure outside france apparently), also hell,while i'm at it, mike mignola)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.