[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Do construction work >No thought required at all >Feel

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Art Progress.jpg (651KB, 2904x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Art Progress.jpg
651KB, 2904x1252px
>Do construction work
>No thought required at all
>Feel like putting a bullet in my head
>Realize that my life will always be empty unless I'm creating something I care about
>Have decided to start practicing fundamentals 4 hours a day instead of 1
>Will probably continue to ramp it up
>Hate the emptiness of manual labor
>Probably can't attend college

I don't know if I'll ever make it, but I know if I don't try i'm as good as dead.

I'm 19, and I've got 6 years until my learning will slow down. I've realized I see no point in life if I'm not making things I want to. I would rather be in a grave.

I know I'm still a bad artist, but I hope to change that soon. Wish me luck /ic/
>>
>>2685870
>falling for the neuroplasticity meme
Never gonna make it, senpai.
>>
>>2685870
You're only 19, you've got plenty of time, you're gonna make it, senpai.
>>
>>2685870
dont forget to enjoy the process, im 18 and have been making steady progress since I was 16 and I doubt I would have gotten to the level im at if I hadnt made time to draw the things I enjoy to draw in between studies
>>
>>2685870
Maybe study more gestures while you do your anatomy studies?
>>
>>2685906
OP here,
When I was 16, there was no draw-a-box so I never had a good place to build off of.

People on here kept meme spamming Loomis, and I bought into it without having the steady foundation they expected me to already have.

I thought when I drew a shitty sphere and some shitty lines that I was thinking in 3D, but it eventually only left me puzzled as to why I was even bothering.

I'm glad I've finally started the real journey.
>>
>>2685914
OP here,

That's what I intend to do. I was very rusty in terms of gestures while I did the last drawing on the far right, but I had to do it from imagination as an improvement piece.

This is the main reason I'm increasing my time.
>>
File: zona__08__by_alexandreev-d7r1iy5.jpg (523KB, 1200x649px) Image search: [Google]
zona__08__by_alexandreev-d7r1iy5.jpg
523KB, 1200x649px
>>2685870
>mfw there's people who take this meme of the
month seriously
>mfw actual neuroplasticity has nothing to do with this retarded travesty ic is spreading
>mfw they will keep spreading this lie until a better excuse comes their way.
>>
>>2685923
>Thinking the meme of the month is the only reason I'm doing this

If I say, "I'm only 19, I've got forever!" i'll be a fool. 1 hour everyday won't cut it in comparison to someone that spends 2-3 hours per day drawing. 365 x 3 is a substantial amount of time per year. The sooner I start the better. I shouldn't give in to my own laziness.

I've already deleted all of my video games and anime from my computer.

Incredible improvement starts now.

If I never start, i'll never have a future in it, and I'll be a mediocre artists in 2 years when I could be a good one.
>>
as a young anon this thread gives me a lot of hope, thanks /ic/
>>
>>2685923
I don't understand why people say your neuroplasticity peaks when you're 25. To me, neuroplasticity would peak when you're a child because that's when you learn the absolute fastest. I follow chess somewhat frequently and one thing you notice about all the top GMs is that they started when they were <10 years old. It makes sense. Playing chess is like learning a language, and you could probably say the same for drawing, and kids learn languages much faster than adolescents and adults. By the time they are in their teens and 20's the game is an instinct.

Have you tried learning a language when you're a teenager in high school? It's not exactly like a lightning bolt strikes your brain and you know how to speak it. It takes years and years and even after that you still probably would have a hard time holding a conversation with a native speaker. Most of the people in my Spanish class sucked at Spanish even after 4 years of the subject.

And does everyone have the same level of neuroplasticity anyways? What if your neuroplasticity just sucks and it's never easy for you to learn new things no matter what age you are? Your neuroplasticity might be at the level of 40 year old even when you're in your teens/20's, in which case you would have to put so much effort into learning any kind of new skill that it probably wouldn't be worth it since there will be so many other people who can learn faster and better than you.
>>
>>2685935
Language is special anon, the brain has "dedicated hardware" for it. The critical period applies to language and it's well known that kids learn languages MUCH faster than adults.

Of course, drawing isn't a language. If it was, little kids would be able to achieve KJG levels of mastery in a few years without really trying. It would really suck to compete with that.
>>
>>2685870
>life stops once i hit 25

If you're dumb enough to believe /ic/'s shit, you've already lost. Consign yourself to a life of no-thought work.
>>
File: 1439996812667.jpg (51KB, 340x399px) Image search: [Google]
1439996812667.jpg
51KB, 340x399px
>>2685870
join the military, they pay for school. Most art schools (good ones) are full time so you wont be able to attend until your 4 or 5 years are up. So basically you get free room, board and food to keep you afloat and a sizable paycheck for 5 years. And if you are like me, you'll end up in a state with a major city that you can spend those five years going to a atelier in your off time.

That's your answer op. I went from drawing like you to being a freaking rockstar sketch artist in a year with all my expenses paid for. And when my contract is up in 3 years I get a free ride through whatever school I choose. If your life is as miserable as it sounds then I would prioritize joining up until you get you shit straightened out.
>>
>>2685974
>giving up your life to the military
>ever
>>
>>2685916
>When I was 16, there was no draw-a-box so I never had a good place to build off of.
>People on here kept meme spamming Loomis, and I bought into it without having the steady foundation they expected me to already have.

So you started Loomis at 16? What happened in the 3 years up til now?
>>
>>2685870
Dude i wish you the best of luck but honestly i cant let you shitpost about learning slowing down without saying something.

You can learn art at any age at any rate , its an individual thing
>>
File: 1465572641954.jpg (56KB, 353x334px) Image search: [Google]
1465572641954.jpg
56KB, 353x334px
>>2685976
>Totally ignoring all that was said
4 to 5 years with stable income doing the same shit you would do anyway as a civilian is fucking nothing. I work in a freaking hospital as a laboratory technician. Do you have any idea what sort of jobs I got before this? It can be just as cushy as any other job except you get free schooling with it. It's a no lose situation if your life sucks hard like the op.

But no anon you are right. The op's plan sounds like it has a better outlook.
>>
>>2685977
I really absorbed none of the brief fundamental lessons I picked up in that book. I didn't really understand drawing within the page.

Also because I thought I had it down, I never went back to it, so 3 years of wasted time where I was simply frustrated.

I've never had a real life art teacher that could instantaneously see my issues. I've always shaded with 3D thought, but I never constructed with 3D thought. It concealed everything I struggled with, and that's why I always did shading.
>>
>>2686002
OP here,

My father is a Jehovah's Witness, so he's against me joining the military, and he needs me to help him keep the family supplied with steady income. I can't walk away from him. He's too old, and construction is a killer for a man his age.

I'm the one carrying the heavy tools. I'm the one picking up the heavy doors. I can't let him do it by himself. It would be murder.
>>
>>2685935
It's funny that you mentioned languages; 6 months of forcing myself to comunicate in a foreign language while shutting down the use of my original one taught me more than 4 years of language lessons ever did in high school; hence it's not just the time you spend doing something but the quality of what you practice what matters.

To explain the way neuroplasticity works is to explain you how the mechanism inside a mechanical clock works, if you're really interested in neuroplasticity I'd recommend you to read "The brain that changes itself" by Norman doidge, it's a great introduction to the subject.

Generally speaking kids might learn faster than some adults, but it's not just their age the main factor for their ability to learn, it's their attitude to failure and reward, the time they have and are willing to use in a given activity, as well as many other factors.
>>
>>2685870
>I'm 19, and I've got 6 years until my learning will slow down
lol what the fuck is this excuse

I'm 27 and learned a full language as well as art in the past 2 years
>>
>>2686010
>taking 2 years to learn a language and art
>not 6 months
Not gonna make it, senpai.
>>
>>2686011
Whatever you have to believe to sleep at night
>>
>>2686012
>implying I can sleep when I need to work every waking moment I can get
>>
>>2686004
Both of you are retarded then. Especially you.
>>
Don't stop or you'll regret.
>>
File: 1473101582383.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1473101582383.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
>this fucking thread
ic is so delusional
>>
>>2686042
I think you're being too quick to insult.

I can't stop myself from helping my immediate family, and I'm also learning a good trade that makes 75k a year.

It's not what I want to do, but it's what I have to do for the immediate time being.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.