[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Be honest: Would you be prefer having a Fletcher-style teacher

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

File: 1427840144492.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1427840144492.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
Be honest: Would you be prefer having a Fletcher-style teacher instructing you or not?
>>
It would help a crap load, but I would rather I had an ara-ara comfy teacher instead.
>>
>>2684496
>not being this hard on yourself already
N O T G O N N A M A K E IT
O
T

G
O
N
N
A

M
A
K
E

I
T
>>
>>2684502
Being too hard on myself is probably the main reason I haven't improved as much as I could. If I make even one mistake, I get too angry to even continue practicing.
>>
>>2684503
you're confusing being too bland with being too hard with yourself

being actually hard with yourself implyies not letting you quit or not letting yourself drop below 110% focus.

Your values won't get you anywhere if they're so shitty.
>>
File: pics 1506.jpg (52KB, 355x414px) Image search: [Google]
pics 1506.jpg
52KB, 355x414px
Yes, having an instructor like Fletcher would be absolutely amazing. I know I won't be as lucky to ever have someone like him though.

In order to be as good as Andrew was at his craft, you need to be willing to sacrifice a lot. This means you need to give up hobbies, entertainment, pleasure, relaxation, and etc. So stop watching movies and dump your girlfriend.

I would want Fletcher as my teacher because I want someone to push me harder then what's expected of me. I don't want to impress the average joe, I want someone who will never compliment me and always denounce and attack every single thing I do so I can be the best I can be.

After years of sweat and tears, one day Fletcher will look up to me while he's laying on his death bed, and the last words he'll say are "you made it". Hearing those words will mean so much more to me then 100,000 value-less second rate humans telling me good job.
>>
>>2684650
this faggot actually thinks hes a good artist.

he can barely animate.
>>
>>2684496
Not really. I believe you can have a very good teacher that doesn't shout at, embarrass, and hurt you, and still bring out your full potential, all the while letting you know that if you want to pursue something, you're going to have to make sacrifices.

That, and because quiet disappointment motivates me more than angry words.

But I guess some people would be okay with getting maimed by cymbals, like some people are okay with getting stabbed by pencils if a Fletcher-style of teaching is anything to go by.
>>
File: 250px-PFUB2.png (84KB, 250x188px)
250px-PFUB2.png
84KB, 250x188px
Shit yeah. There should be a /ucg/ Ultraviolence Critique General thread:

All skill levels welcome because you're all pathetic wannabe bitches. Post your garbage and get ready to eat it.

Todays homework: 100 drawings.
No fucking complaining this is the elite class.

If you haven't read the st/ic/kyz what the fuck are you even doing here? Kill yourself faggot.

1000px max width or I'll murder your mother.
>>
>>2684496
less asking more drawing boi
>>
no
being an asshole does not make you a good teacher.
as a matter of fact, it can do the opposite.

it's the same concept with abusing children, be it physically or verbally. It doesn't make a kid more obedient and less likely to fuck up. It makes them afraid, unstable and it makes them into liars that hide the things they do wrong because they're afraid to seek help and guidance.

And let me tell you somethin else, drawing sucks a hell of a lot more when you associated it with being hurt and you're constantly mad at yourself.
>>
>>2685153
We're talking about choosing to go to a teacher like him, and we aren't talking about children.

Fletcher is my ideal type of teacher, because I'm curious and adversarial. If my goal is to be put in the history books I don't have time for patronizing and cottling. When I'm teaching myself, I argue and resist and fight. Polite teachers are just way too slow and boring for me.

Don't throw your wet blanket psudoscientific nonsense on all students with all backgrounds.
>>
>>2685164
post your work
>>
File: study.jpg (171KB, 1200x800px)
study.jpg
171KB, 1200x800px
>>2685169
What now, fucko?
>>
>>2685170
why does he have the face of frankenstein?
>>
>>2685153
>being an asshole does not make you a good teacher.

But it does. Being an asshole can motivate a person to be better at something.

>as a matter of fact, it can do the opposite.

So what? If someone is going to give up on their dreams because they can't take abuse then they were never going to make it in the first place.
>>
>>2684496
Nope, it's unnecessary if the student is open to criticism and he should be. My best teacher is humble as fuck and yet he's the most respected teacher because he uses his skill to demonstrate stuff.

>>2685170
nice btw
>>
>>2685200
>So what?
Well, you are gambling your sanity and mental health.
>>
File: kakukakupanel[1].png (100KB, 622x345px)
kakukakupanel[1].png
100KB, 622x345px
I'd rather have someone like this
>>
File: Howard_Pyle.jpg (59KB, 827x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Howard_Pyle.jpg
59KB, 827x1024px
ITT: People who don't know what an actually good teacher is like
>>
No. This is along the same lines as anime protagonist training bullshit. It's an unrealistic way of practice. You should be encouraged to learn from your mistakes not screamed to death for making one.
>>
>>2685217
So lets say Fletcher is teaching a class of 10 people, and 9 go mentally insane and kill themselves. And the one that was left ended up become one of the greats. Do you think that's not worth it?

If you truly want to become great at something then you're not going to let anything get in your way
>>
File: 2011111517724bakuman.png (612KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
2011111517724bakuman.png
612KB, 600x400px
I want pressure that makes me feel like this.
>>
>>2685244
That one individual would learn just as well with any other teacher that is strict but not a fucking maniac like Fletcher.
>>
>>2685244
wouldn't that make him a 1/10 teacher by normal standards?
>>
Fletcher Pros:
>you’ll cut out people & excuses in your life that hold you back
>motivation
>focus

Fletcher Cons:
>foreveralone.jpg
>you have to be a warrior
>>
>>2685251
So what if he's a maniac? he's simply weeding out the people who don't truly want to become good.

Would you rather have a teacher who gives out gold stars for participation or a teacher who insists on a certain quality and will not accept anything short of perfection
>>
>>2685266
Why not both?
>>
>>2685266
did you forget the part where he completely fucked him over at the end of the movie by not giving him the right song?

He's vindictive as fuck and he'll screw you over the simplest shit.
>>
>>2685266
Fucking bullshit. There are all kind of geniuses that respond to all kind of different teaching methods. If anything the absolute forceful way is shit tier at best.
>>
>>2685240
The thing is almost all your mistakes get magically recognised and then disappear once you start actually practicing.

>>2685244
This. Our society is liberal as fuck when it comes to the individual vs. society.
There's 7 billion people, if a handful of nonames fail in exchange for one to succeed and inspire thousands, it's fucking worth it.
>>
>>2685293
>There's 7 billion people, if a handful of nonames fail in exchange for one to succeed and inspire thousands, it's fucking worth it.
But what if a different teaching approach would get say 3 out of 10 succeed enormously? And didn't make the 7 others kill themselves.

I think the most damning evidence against the Fletcher style teaching is that if you look at all the best artists of history, none of them had that type of training.
>>
>>2685273
but in the end he also gave him the skills and drive so he could overcome that and make everyone take his lead...
>>
The people that want a Fletcher are the same people that go to bed dreaming how tomorrow they will go cold turkey, stop all procrastination and work 8 hour days without ever doing them. This kind of people don't have the persistence to stay with a Fletcher, they will run at the first opportunity and bitch on /ic/ about it.

I also never heard a single decent artist talking ever about having some Fletcher tier teacher. Not the old masters and not current good artists. If anything artists that truly made it are way kinder than the average person.
>>
>>2685318
ye, that's kinda open to interpretation. He did excel in the beginning but a lot of it was cause he had the drive. Did he get so good at the end because of Fletcher or did he get good despite him?
But idk, maybe some people would benefit from him but it would be way too toxic a relationship for me personally. I'd rather have someone whose nice but blunt enough to give solid crits and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Kinda like >>2685226
this dude
>>
>>2685324
That's because Fletcher tier teachers are a thing of the past and aren't allowed anymore.
>>
>>2685339
They were never a thing. No accounts of any teachers of old masters were anything like that.
>>
>>2685342
this. I've had some pretty archaic teachers that would beat the shit out of their students but they weren't as dramatic as fletcher. Also it didn't really help that much and I think that kind of dynamic can only really work if you're young and the teacher is way older than you. If you're an adult it'd probably be hard to get into something like that.
>>
>>2685339
Name an old master with a Fletcher tier teacher.

Literally all the god tier old masters became excellent because of their self drive. Da Vinci already showed great self drive in his childhood and he mostly self teached himself most things.
>>
Winners across the board have one thing in common: they hate to lose.
>>
>>2685311
Now we're talking more about the principle. People don't succeed/not succeed, everyone's at various stages of shit. I'd pick a 1 artist with 8756 gudpoints over 3 artists with 5328 gudpoints any day.
The leftist approach (individual>society) is just selfishness on a bigger scale.
>>
>>2685371
And? Most people in a competitive field hate to lose.
>>
>>2685217
Maybe sarificing everything for one goal is a mental illness, but if you asked the people who did do it I guarantee you that they would say it was worth it in the end

>>2685269
Flecher would be for professional stuff, not for a begginer art school. I understand it's subjective and people respond to different treatments and break in different ways, but if you have a teacher that you respect and you know they're good and they're giving you shit then it's a challenge to get better
so you can get their approval.

>>2685274
A normal strict teacher isn't enough. You're pushing to be the best at something, a level that the average person will never get to. If there's one thing you want in life then everything else can fuck off and die. It's between following a normal path, growing up as a normal funtioning human being, having normal friends, a normal job, a normal wife and being happy and content VS being insanly fucking ambitious who would give up anything that he could possibly give up to attain one goal that he sees as being greater then any other convience that life has to offer.

>>2685324
That's true, it's rare to want something that bad, that's why there are only so many of the greatest kinds of people in the wolrd.
>>
>>2685392
If you have such a great mentality you don't fucking need a Fletcher to begin with.

You're probably a dreamer yourself.
>>
>>2684496

No. I think it's better to have someone who has a grasp on reality. Let's face it, most of you are going to be drawing dragons and cool guys, there's no point in having someone throwing a an impassioned temper tantrum over your shoulder while you do it. There's a lot more incentive to hit the right notes perfectly in music than there is to have perfect anything in art.
>>
>>2685235
also IIT: People who don't understand the movie
>>
FUCK NO. There was a professor who was fired at out University for his methods. If a person did a job that he didn't like he literally tore it up and threw it away in front of the class during critique. Not to mention he also had mood swings.
>>
>>2685235
He's so fucking based.

Easily responsible for the modern illustration wolrd with his influence. All of his student retained their individuality all he did was to he fan their meager fireplaces of work into forest fires.
>>
>>2684496
No way, you can actually get good at art with 1/10 of the effort and drama.

>>2685226
This teacher was actually bad, too.
>>
>>2684496
Hell no.

My father was a yell at you if you mess up, accept you if you do well kind of guy when he forced me to learn piano.

It fucked with my head, sapped any enjoyment I could have had playing, i'm still pretty good at it even though I hate playing the piano.

Arguably he conditioned me to be extremely self-critical in a bad and good way, which I apply to learning art although I don't take it really seriously because I know it becomes less enjoyable when I do.
>>
>>2684650
>, I want someone who will never compliment me and always denounce and attack every single thing I do so I can be the best I can be.

Isn't that what /ic/ is for?
>>
>>2685392
Fletcher please.
>>
>>2684496
probably as long as they have the actual skill for it.
there's this teacher in my school where he's known for roasting students if their 5x5 feet studies isn't 1:1 but his background as an artist is mostly in abstract works...
>>
>>2687764
also my friend who was under him became better at copying photos but her fundamentals remained a shit
>>
File: 1432665000115-1.jpg (192KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1432665000115-1.jpg
192KB, 1920x1080px
>>2684496
You need to be talented to begin with for fletcher to even notice you
>>
The kid was autistic.

If you guys didn't know that.

It helped with his single-mindedness towards a single craft. His lack of anything but what he wanted to do.

They drop lots of hints towards his autism throughout
>mentions on his date that his dad always says he's bad at making eye contact, which is the biggest hint since it wasn't just a throwaway line for no reason
>his social life is with his dad only
>poor as fuck social skills
>singlemindedness
>>
>>2687823
And? I don't see why him being autistic changes things, plenty of people on this board are too, if that helps with the singleminded work ethic and finding social things less important then surely that's an advantage not a hindrance.

Pretty sure Ruan Jia is autistic, the amount of time he obsessively sinks into his work. KJG also wouldn't surprise me.
>>
>>2687823
Bad social skills don't automatically = autism, he's a sperg at most because of that one focus mindset
>>
>>2685153
This is wrong fuck you. The best teacher I ever had was in 7th grade and literally (student wise) everyone was scared of him. He demolished students and was straight forward. He had us writing highschool grade papers before we left his class. God bless Mr. C.
Fired for being too mean.
>>
>>2687823
>>mentions on his date that his dad always says he's bad at making eye contact, which is the biggest hint since it wasn't just a throwaway line for no reason
>>his social life is with his dad only
>>poor as fuck social skills
>>singlemindedness
wow, I was autistic until half of my high school and I didn't even know. Good think getting decent at drawing gave me confidence and improved my social life, ehh, I mean, good thing getting decent at drawing curred my autism.
>>
>>2685269
You literally can't have both. I had a band director that was a hard cunt but our shitty little band made it to state and competed against huge high school marching bands that had middle class white parents funding everything. We made it despite being a quarter of the size of their bands.

I moved schools and had a band director that got soft over the years cause he got used to getting division 1s without trying and ruined a 30 year streak with my senior class. Good times, I felt no sympathy because everybody in that band was squishy, spoiled, and didn't take it seriously.
>>
>>2685164

>If my goal is to be put in the history books I don't have time for patronizing and cottling.

Almost everyone who is the history books got there through monumental amounts of patronizing and coddling.
>>
I'd rather have an RPG level and stat progression system programmed into my conscience
>>
>>2688949
In reality skills don't follow linear progression.
>>
>>2687880
Similar experience here, we had a realistic version of Fletcher leading our big band. He put a lot of stress on tuning all the instruments correctly, shouted, insulted and made fun of people regularly when they messed up and told how when he was our age he would play 16 hours a day until his mouth was bleeding or wouldn't go to the gig at all - to make us think that it's the standard.
He was pretty great, maybe 30% of his 13 year old students made it to be pros and for the first time I actually enjoyed music - because until then I never got myself to practice a few hours every day.
>>
>>2684496
tfw this is what /ic/ used to be. It's become horribly hugboxy these last few years. The beginner thread wouldn't even be allowed to exist.
>>
>>2687823
>Only people with autism can be passionate about something.

You are never, ever going to make it.
>>
>>2685392
>If there's one thing you want in life then everything else can fuck off and die.
>being insanly fucking ambitious who would give up anything that he could possibly give up to attain one goal that he sees as being greater then any other convience that life has to offer.

Griffith?
>>
>>2689077
Griffith lost his virginity. Totally disqualified.
>If you don't lose your virginity you will never make it.
>>
>>2684496
I'd prefer a teacher with big tits that likes to play with my pee-pee
>>
No, i'm pussy get off
>>
>>2685177
Newfag
>>
>>2687823
You're fucking stupid
>>
>>2685153
Not really. This only applies to children when they're still developing their mentality.

Most of the people in /ic/ can take it just fine and do understand that this is a very efficitent method overall.
>>
File: 1451518309724.png (203KB, 610x417px)
1451518309724.png
203KB, 610x417px
>>2684496
>Have Jazza as a teacher
>He straight up says underlying muscles aren't important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRDWqLamjsI

Imagine trying to shade on top of an invisible gap in between the bicep and tricep. No wonder he's considered a failed artist. At least he's good at animation.
>>
can fletcher threads be a thing
>>
>>2688994

>Post complex drawing on Reddit.
>Get five or six people asking if I have autism.

Friggin' idiots.
>>
>>2685244
>Do you think that's not worth it?

No I don't think it's worth it. Nothing is worth it. Everything is a waste of time.

But do it anyway.
>>
>>2689609
>>Have Jazza as a teacher
hah
>>
>>2689609
If you couldn't tell that him not being able to draw a straight line when tracing on a fucking 27 inch cintiq is kind of a red flag, maybe he really is a suitable teacher for you.
>>
>>2688994
>>2691608
Fucking these. Yearly reminder, fags.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHTawgyKWQ
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.