[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, what kind of drawing exercises do you do when you don't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: pencil_grip3.jpg (14KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
pencil_grip3.jpg
14KB, 544x400px
Hey guys, what kind of drawing exercises do you do when you don't feel like drawing anything in specific?
>>
Drawing boxes, drawing lines, drawing animals.
>>
Googling "pose references" and do simple gesture drawings.
>>
>>2684386
>>2684384
Thanks!
Another question I've had for a bit, are there any good websites that have tons of categorized references? I was wanting to look up stuff for reference and had a hard time looking for stuff.
>>
When in doubt, draw cocks and pussies.
>>
>>2684397
Tumblr, pintrest, booru
>>
File: 1450585627654.gif (646KB, 512x481px) Image search: [Google]
1450585627654.gif
646KB, 512x481px
Speaking of drawing exercises: What do you guys do to warmup? I just do what >>2684386 said but people say they do things to "get in a 3d thinking mindset" but never go in detail what they actually do.
>>
>>2684495
Because it's different for everyone, so it is kind of pointless to say what it is we do. It's basically using a reference, you draw it in a different angle which requires a good understanding of perspective depending on the complexity of the object you're drawing.
>>
I usually do thumbnails and "paintsplorations" to warmup/get ideas for the day. paintsploring just layering shapes until an idea or interesting composition comes about and then pushing it
>>
>>2684382
thumbnails to free up brains and then I feel like drawing
>>
File: KIMG0092.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0092.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
Work on strengthening the hand. Take a heavy rock any do basic up down circle movements.
>>
>>2684747
example please
>>
>>2684747
Cut your fucking nails, freak
>>
>>2684382
Take scrap paper and draw circles. Any kind of circles big or small, long or squished, weighted or floating, clockwise or counter clockwise. Get creative. Besides, they're just circles.
>>
>>2684382
I like to open up the reference thread and just draw a bunch of random shit from there. No proper studies or anything, just doodles.
>>
>>2684382
shitload of cubes, set up a still life, do a blind contour (these are actually great if you're having trouble drawing what you see still, occasionally i need to do one)
>>
>>2684910
his nails aren't even that long dude chill.
>>
>>2684934
Do blind contours really work? I thought they were absolutely dumb when I did them in art class because there was no way I could see it being done correctly.
>>
File: valuescale.jpg (46KB, 1024x328px) Image search: [Google]
valuescale.jpg
46KB, 1024x328px
value scales are good occasionally

they're a lot harder than they look, especially if you focus on keeping them clean and tidy
>>
>>2684934
>>2684960
wondering the same thing
>>
File: KIMG0128.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0128.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2684747
>>2684874
I just found some thing that works better as it is very hag to hold a pencil with a rock in hand. They are called hand/wrist weights, can get at sports goods STORES pic related, well show drawing exercise when done. The thinking is the lead shoe meme, practice with something heavy to get stronger and better take it of and you are in easy mode pic related.

Tldr. Practice in hard mode take off naturally draw in easy mode

>>2684910
Finger nails are hard as fuck, it is like having a scalpel at all times, just cleaned a dirty pan with the freak nails
>>
File: KIMG0129.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0129.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2684874
1, 2,3 can all be done in the same space.
1 draw a circle over and over
2start circling in to the middle of the circle, once pencil over in the middle circle out
3 self explanatory
4 draw straight line with ruler then go over line at least ten times, can be done with all directions
5 vertical, horizontal diagonal grid
6 work with strokes that you have been struggling with

These are all drawn with the shoulder not the hand, pay attention to your weakness in your hand/arm in your drawings and use this to strengthen weakness.

There are a lot of good exercise suggestions on this thread all can be done with the arm weights as well.
>>
File: 1462606166005.jpg (129KB, 686x888px) Image search: [Google]
1462606166005.jpg
129KB, 686x888px
Choose some random class of objects that you don't have any experience in drawing and turn it into a sort of pet that you draw when you don't know what to draw. For example I don't do much industrial stuff and I decided to do little design sketches of pistols after looking at a couple real life models. You could pick something else like flowers, insects, motorcycles, stereos, anything. It's neat to be better at a certain thing in case it comes up in your main work-- then you have sort of edge.
>>
>>2684747
>this is who gives you advice
Cut your nails, you slob. Do you even leave the house?
>>
>>2685026
>they're a lot harder than they loo
Definitely if you're a beginner then they have some educational value. I would only say they're difficult if you're drawing very large or mixing paint traditionally though, just my opinion.
>>
File: image.jpg (184KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184KB, 720x540px
>>2684382
Usually just jerk off to keep this hands hot and ready for my next great hit.
>>
File: image.png (313KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
313KB, 666x666px
>>2684489
That last one.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.