[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an intermediate and I've improved a lot in the

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: lf-3.jpg (865KB, 1826x2533px) Image search: [Google]
lf-3.jpg
865KB, 1826x2533px
I'm an intermediate and I've improved a lot in the past few years but there is something that bothers me.

Every time I study I'm afraid of stagnating my improvement and it's really difficult to just keep drawing and stop thinking about it.
I think things like "what If I'm losing my time with this study?" "What If I could Improve much faster with other exercise that is not this and I'm just going to improve impossibly slow" "what If I don't improve at all?" "what if I never end up noticing things I should notice in studies?" "what if, what if"
I see some of my friends improving so much faster and I don't want to disappoint them either
I don't want to end up disappointing myself. mind you, I study every day since last year and I DO notice improvement. but the fear just won't go? is there something wrong with me?
>>
>>2681306
Just fucking study and stop being an emo little bitch, honestly.
>>
>>2681310
why are you so angry? I'm not emo or anything, just wanted to know if anyone could relate and give advice. jesus, you are really bitter
>>
>>2681306
it would help if you post your work and show what do you mean by improvement.
>>
>>2681306
Studying efficiently is important, but so is mileage. Just the act of studying each day will add up even if it's only 80% effective as opposed to 100%.

You can also test yourself on how much you retained from the study by painting/drawing a similar subject from imagination afterwards and see how it looks.
>>
File: 20.jpg (387KB, 5136x3300px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
387KB, 5136x3300px
>>2681324
>>2681319
these are obviously not from imagination. I appreciate you insights anons. I just want to know how to deal with it but maybe it's just patience after all? I just don't understand why I'm so afraid of improving slowly, but this is after a little less of a year. I guess It can't be helped
>>
>>2681332
They look fine to me for someone who has only studied less than a year. Just continue what you are doing and don't forget to push your comfort zone now and then.
>>
File: 1472647961848.jpg (91KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1472647961848.jpg
91KB, 1200x675px
Been almost a year, not even near as good as you. (If you drew op pic)I don't have friends that know how to draw. I consider myself optimistic but I think I'm hopeless. I need to drop my stem field id I want to work in art.
>>
>>2681544
From now on I will draw at least 2 hours a day.

Op, since you worry yourself about HOW you should study art, do you have any good links/practices that helped you?
Would be appreciated
>>
>>2681544
>(If you drew op pic)
The pic in OP was not done by him, it's a drawing by Dean Cornwell, one of the best illustrators of all time, so don't worry if you are not close to that level.
>>
>>2681552
>one of the best illustrators
Oh okay wow, thank you

Well I should have doubted the pic wasn't only intermediate tier
>>
File: Cornwell.jpg (820KB, 1441x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Cornwell.jpg
820KB, 1441x1600px
>>2681553
Yeah he was a heavy hitter even in the golden age of illustration when you had giants like NC Wyeth, Leyendecker, and Rockwell kicking around.
>>
>>2681310
lel
>>
>>2681306
Like personally for me i have thought of all these things and it was hard at first cause i didnt have any answers myself and what helped the most is drawing what i like from life but not being afraid of new things and failure. And knowing what you like will change all the time so you will be able to draw pretty much all the other subjects in due time. I understand tho feeling like your not seeing failures yet in your work and scared that you wont improve, i thought like this too and it was extremely worrisome really draw what you like to me it is what comes through the most in your work.
>>
>>2681361
Thank you anon. Will definitely try harder.

>>2681549
Schoolism has helped me a lot and the OP is not my pic kek. The cgma courses you can find at cgpeers. Also buy scott robertson books on perspective. Don't download his books. Buy. You will understand if you do.

>>2681856
Wow, you are so right it hurts. Do you mind giving me your skype? If you don't want to t-that's fine. I want online friends who I can draw with.
But seriously I can see what you say as clear as water. Thank you
>>
>>2682132
Thanks a lot.

Of course I will buy, I love physical books
>>
>>2681332
You are not intermediate level.
>>
>>2681306
>>2681310
>>2681313
But anon, he's right. If you don't dismiss your pointless anxieties as the foolishness they are, you'll validate them and waste time you could've spent studying. Even after ascertaining that an exercise is likely to be beneficial, my anxieties nag at me, but I quell them and do the exercise, else I'll get 5-10 minutes of practice in an hour and a half. It really is as simple as hardening the fuck up, realizing you are the problem and correcting yourself. It's all in your head.
>>
It's true that without mileage you won't improve at all but I honestly think most people don't do enough high quality study.

It's really understandable since you don't need to just sit down and work on your flaws which is hard enough but you need to include an extra layer of creativity and persistancy on top of it.

Do I think 1 hour of quality study is as good as 10 hours of pure mileage? It really depends.
>>
>>2683201
o jesus christ. hes certainly better than you fuck off
>>
File: charlie_sheen.jpg (26KB, 273x273px) Image search: [Google]
charlie_sheen.jpg
26KB, 273x273px
>>2681306
>I'm an intermediate

Maybe in art school standards you are. In industry standards you're novice amateur at best :(
First lesson is to keep your ego in check. Then worry about not improving. Your ego is probably what gives you the troubles you describe anyway. Stop comparing yourself to others and do you.
>>
>>2683490
Begginer is the one who can't draw for shit. And I mean has never tried and has no sense of anything. Has to erase symbol drawing and learn hand eye coordination (this is the shortest stream)

Intermediates are the ones that can copy with great similarity and can handle fundamentals well enough but with visible mistakes (this is the longest stream)

Advanced is when you got the fundamentals down (this one never ends)

I think that OP meant that he just recently entered intermediate. Don't think he's all high and mighty.
>>
>>2683506
thats the most made up bullshit scale i've seen in quite some time.Intermediate artists are those that can actually get legit work . Not the ones that can fucking copy a photo you assmaster...they're called fundamentals for a reason, don't upstage it like its something only a select few can achieve.
>>
>>2683638
Is this a copypasta?
>>
>>2683649
Yes.
>>
>>2683652
That's great, was worried for a second there.
>>
>>2683201

Let's see an example of intermediate work. What's your criteria? What boxes do you have to tick to be "intermediate level" according to you?

The guy isn't a beginner (look at the work in the beginner thread), and he isn't a pro. He's probably been at it for a year or two, hazarding a guess. He's a fucking intermediate, stop being such a contrarian.
>>
>>2683638
>Intermediate artists are those that can actually get legit work

Says who? I've never in my life seen this nonsensical definition of "intermediate" used in any field. Being an intermediate literally means 'in between'. Saying "I'm an intermediate artist" is basically saying "I'm in the massive area between someone who just started and a professional."

He's at a level above what any normie who picksup a pencil can do, and below what a professional can do. Intermediate doesn't mean an artist who can "actually get legit work", we call those people professionals.
>>
Seriously arguing about semnatics on 4chan? You guys will never make it.
>>
>>2683691

Being intermediate means having a decent grasp of all the fundamentals and you're experimenting with your own original pieces with the intention of being on the way to a professional.
>>
>>2681306
it's boring and too stiff
>>
>>2684132
>literally what he just siad
>>
>>2684294
I swear ic has the most stupid discussion ever. Like, what the fuck do you care about op being a begginer or an intermediate. Are you guys insane? Do you guys come from the depths of /r9k/ to shitpost on ic?
>>
>>2683226
>its all in your head
tooo dooooo
do do do do doooo
>>
>>2684320
I love when people are like "hey, you are depressed right? Welp. How about not feeling depressed?"

Jesus fucking christ
Normies will never get it
>>
>>2681306
welp anon sounds like you just have major anxiety issues.
>>
File: assdicks.jpg (98KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
assdicks.jpg
98KB, 540x540px
>>2684320
>>
my thoughts on this classifying stuff is that

the scale shouldn't be beginner->intermediate
it should be beginner->amateur

amateur can be defined as one who is unskilled.

So it's someone who doesn't have any real skill yet, but isn't just starting out.

I feel like Intermediate better describes people who have a moderate grasp of things, and their work doesn't look like complete garbage all the time.
>>
>>2684209
did you just critique Dean Cornwell lmao
>>
>>2681332
Seeing these paintings I can see why you feel worried, you basically didn't even touch the surface yet, so the best you can do is copy.

Once you get to drawing from imagination and learn all the nitty gritty details you should get over it. Your colleagues probably just learned a lot more that helped them before they joined your class.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.