[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do 9/10 digitally painted landscapes look like this? Everything

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: hero-fantasy.png (2MB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
hero-fantasy.png
2MB, 2000x1125px
Why do 9/10 digitally painted landscapes look like this? Everything is dark as shit. I see these landscape paintings all over artstation. And they all have these saturated green hills and black shadows. What the actual fuck. Do they ever go outside?
>>
>>2677552
>Do they ever go outside?
Their entire knowledge of the outside comes from Feng Zhu tutorials.
>>
>>2677552
there must be a massive flying city or something looming over beyond the image
>>
>>2677552
>he doesn't know about entertainment lighting
>>
>>2677552
>what is exposure
>>
>>2677580
>>2677580
>>2677580
>>2677580

This. His videos are really a pleasure to watch, but people base their entire style on trying to emulate his techniques. People don't realize how much of an obvious knock-off they look like.
>>
File: 1469546103559.jpg (560KB, 1280x726px) Image search: [Google]
1469546103559.jpg
560KB, 1280x726px
I do this and I hate it, how do I paint more gooder looking landscapes like this?
>>
>>2677675
You're an idiot anon
>>
>>2677679

pls no bully
>>
They're not skilled. Simple as that.
>>
>>2677552
design trought painting is not a still life
>>
>>2677661
git gud at your colour theory
>>
>>2677675
>more gooder looking

I was going to advise you but not anymore
>>
yea it's dark fantasy. who cares.
>>
>>2677552
better question why do people keep painting a man with a stick with his back facing the viewer. It's getting milked to fucking death. I see it everywhere. Oh yeah and I can't help but role my eyes when I see a red flag for a focal point,red umbrella. etc.
>>
>>2677779
It's just a shit wave of regurgitating morons. Hey look! I'm a concept artist too!

It's a phase, similar to the abstract computer designs in early 2000's that polluted deviant art.
>>
File: 1473121473098.png (195KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1473121473098.png
195KB, 400x388px
>tfw literally no good videos on landscape painting
>>
>>2677779
adds human scale. In fantastic landscapes with huge mountains, creatures or man made architecture etc, you need that to give the viewer a relation.

>>2677780
Actually, it's a phase to rebel against clichés without understanding why they are being used. Instead of wanting to learn how to apply them more subtly or expertly, you just want to cut them out altogether. It's the whole "hurr durr orange and blue is soooo stooopid!" mindset without ever learning the first thing about color harmony.
>>
>>2677953
why does he always have a stick though?
>>
>>2677953
>literally any human figure could provide scale
>it's always a silhouette facing the landscape with a staff
why?
>>
File: sameface.jpg (92KB, 464x631px) Image search: [Google]
sameface.jpg
92KB, 464x631px
>>2678318
>>it's always a silhouette facing the landscape with a staff

> it shows that a lot of walking is necessary to travel through that landscape
> it's a subtle tribute to the german litterature trope of the Wanderer
>>
>>2677675

I actually kind of like these.
>>
>>2678318
>with a staff
quarterstaff is a cheap, easy to use and an effective weapon. It was very popular among pilgrims and wanderers in middle ages.
>>
I have seen literally hundreds of digital paintings with the same man holding the same staff. Why not someone parked on the side of a dirt road half stepping out of a car. Why not someone sitting on a motorcycle. Why not a group of teens or a suburban family staring at whatever Marvell is on the horizon.
>>
>>2678904

First one sounds like Stålenhag senpai
>>
>>2678381
Can you draw a fantasy landscape with a silhouette of a guy holding a staff in the foreground as good as that? No? Then you have no right to complain. Fuck off.
>>
>>2678904
This.
>>
I love how often there are two mountains forming a V pointing towards the stick salesman, also. This is what happens when you look at nothing but concept art. Shit gets inbred really fast. Also so many aspiring concept artists don't study composition or bother to do thumbnails, or even have an idea of what they want to create before they start painting. So it's not surprising that they end up with something really generic.
>>
>>2678934
such a shitty attitude

I think this thread is making good points, doesn't matter if they're master artists or not
>>
>>2678950
It has nothing to do with concept art inbreeding, this is one of the most used opening visuals.
>>
>>2679064

It is common because of memetic inbreeding, yes. When concept artists copy other concept artists directly the genetic stock of ideas starts to degenerate. It's literally a form of artistic incest
>>
>>2679057
Yours is. There is nothing new under the sun. You can complain all you want about how unoriginal the idea is but the fact that they made it and you have nothing to show for it by just sitting on your thumbs complaining on the other hand speaks volumes about you.
>>
>>2679064
It also is really uninspired. Can you name a movie or game that has a memorable scene of only mountains and a dude, without looking it up? Shit just isn't something people remember because of how generic it is.

Since the end purpose of concept artists is to come up with original designs, an artist that does nothing but paint generic designs based off common concept art tropes is failing at their design purpose, even if they may be technically proficient.

In concept art, the purpose of fundamentals is to make your ideas more palatable, but there's always an equal amount of aspiring artists that seem to end up neglecting one for the other.
>>
>>2679064
>it has nothing to do with being the most used shit, it's just the most used shit
>>
>>2678904

because they're all about *muh digitul art* and doesn't think there's any merit in doing plein air painting or sketching to study how light actually works in the real world
>>
>>2679075
When you work in the concept art industry chances are 99% of what you draw isn't what you want to and is made to please the person paying for the project. When all you do 8+ hours a day is other people's shit sometimes it's hard to think up creative stuff.
>>
>>2679085
Memorable designs in the entertainment industry are rare, in the measure that you see a lot more uninspired stuff than inspired stuff, yeah.

If you look at the designs for any major entertainment production, though, I can assure you none of it is as creatively bankrupt as your "fantasy paintings of generic mountains with stick guys" or "scifi paintings of generic cities with 45 degree angles".

Thankfully concept art doesn't require you to be creative 8 hours a day (a lot of it is also about rendering and polishing your ideas), but I've gotten a very strong impression that you become a concept artist FOR your ability to consistently shit out ideas without getting burnt out.

Of course, this doesn't account for freelance artists who take on smalltime jobs - you can totally get paid for drawing something like OP, but you're not helping your indie studio stand out at all in that case.
>>
>>2679110
Has no one seen Feng talk about this?
http://youtu.be/h5tbDhiFBQg
>>
>>2677552
Post ur work, Dunning Kruger victim
>>
>>2679134
Anon noones going to watch this for 35 mins, link with timestamp ffs
>>
It looks nicer than the accurate/realistic version.
>>
File: lulz.jpg (87KB, 464x631px) Image search: [Google]
lulz.jpg
87KB, 464x631px
>>2678934
> Putting words in my mouth
> Challenging me to defend those words I never said

I have a Hate folder with pics of men holding staffs. That's how much I hate men holding staff. Rhabdophobia at its best.

Or you know, maybe I just opened folders of artists I like and searched a minute for pics matching the thread thematic.
Your bet.

> Lorenz Hideyoshi Ruwwe
> Silver Saaremäel
> Ryan Gitter
> Florent Llamas

It seems they also have pics without sticks. Really makes me think.

>>2677779
> red umbrella

It works well, though. I guess it's like this old meme, what has been seen...
>>
>>2679207
Did you watch it yet
>>
you don't have detailed specific characters in landscape concept art because you're fucking meant to experience the landscape not the fucking figure
>>
>>2680102
No? Got better things to listen to while drawing than some ricenigger shillin his school.
>>
>>2680198
That specific video is about the whole entertainment industry in general. It's a good watch and explains everything.
>>
>>2677904
Noah Bradley has a 4 part video series on youtube on painting environments. You might like it.
>>
File: Lauterbrunnental_train.jpg (143KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
Lauterbrunnental_train.jpg
143KB, 1280x851px
At this point all those pedestrian "fantasy" landscapes show how creatively stunted their creators are.
Basically the equivalent of warcraft armor.
Real landscapes look more varied and imaginative at this point.
Go outside or at least look up photos, you hacks.
>>
>>2680198
He hardly shills his school. Most of the time that he's not explaining a specific technique or design method, he spends discouraging people from joining the industry unless they're ready to work hard and long hours every day. He also gives neat dad advice like work out, eat healthy food, socialize, make yourself a schedule.
I have really come to respect the guy since he accepts and encourages self taught people even if he runs a school.
>>
>>2678381
>'s a subtle tribute to the german litterature trope of the Wanderer
The eternal jew isnt a german trope and I doubt its really anything but creatively bankcrupt morons mindlessly aping each other.
>>
>>2678381
>the german litterature trope of the Wanderer
There is no such thing.
Youre thinking of the heros journey, you moron.
But thats exemplary of half educated dimwits who get into concept art and then all draw the same figure with a staff, thinking theyre making a deep statement.
>>
>>2680514
Why aren't you instead happy that everyone is a hack and therefor you yourself can stand out with your fantastic, amazing landscapes? Oh...that's right....
>>
>>2677675
I don't know anon, but if you keep at it you'll definitely get somewhere.
Maybe study real landscapes for how things look like and film stills for compositions?
Otherwise, great work so far.
>>
>>2680533
>that level of projection.
The issue I have with this is that this kind of hackjob drags down the medium as a whole. I like to consume creative media and if everything is a unimaginative bland mixup of the same tired tropes over and over, just because a few people got the wrong idea by browsing too much conceptart.org it's not very enjoyable.
>>
File: adumdum.jpg (42KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
adumdum.jpg
42KB, 480x480px
>>2680547
>concept art
>meant for consumption by the public
>not meant for the pipeline production
Do you even know what you are talking about, retard? Go eat breakfast.
>>
>>2677552
It has nothing to do with it being digital. It has to do with people working off each other's work and current trends in the industry.
>>
>>2680551
>Do you even know what you are talking about, retard?
Yes.
More than you.
>>
>>2679068
Why are you singling out concept artists? This is weird. Meh, enjoy your hate train.
>>
>>2680562
No.
No you don't.
>>
>>2680547
So basically, you are a beginner and the current environment makes it feel like you are not learning to your best abilities?
>>
>>2680569
The reverse actually.
It just pains me to see how little creative thought goes into concept art. The finished product suffers as a result.
But what can I expect from a board full of teenagers who think they're "gonna make it" by defending bad habbits online.
Your art isn't going to magicall become less shit if you just defend the bad habbits of other people online enough.
>>2680567
Yeah I do.
Bad foundations mess up everything along the line as well.
Get work before you run your mouth you inbred loser.
>>
>>2680565
>Why are you singling out concept artists?
Because all that "speedpainting" and "industry standard" that spread from conceptart.org has created a generation of people who dont draw from real sources anymore but rather ape other medicore artists.
Not the guy you're replying to btw but thought I'd explain that for you.
>>
>>2680580

If they can get a job it's good enough you gaping tumor. You said 'to consume', concept art isn't for consumption. If they wanted to be illustrators they would be illustrators.
>>
>>2680587
>it's good enough
Confirmed for never going to make it.
You're out of your league here, boy.
But keep defending your medicority and unwillingness to improve.
>>
File: 34636.png (17KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
34636.png
17KB, 400x300px
>>2680599

>calling me boy

You must be one of the old farts on this board. Like I said go eat your breakfast and don't skip on your prune juice.
>>
>>2680599
shove the trolling
>>
>>2680587
Concept art is used as a base for what the actual media will look like you fucking retard.
>>
>>2680612

I would tell you to be stupid somewhere else but I'd like to contain your stupidity here with the rest of the dumdums like >>2680599. Not even going to waste more brain cells.
>>
File: 1473936379320.jpg (634KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1473936379320.jpg
634KB, 2000x1333px
When concept art is less impressive than the real thing you might as well use photo reference instead for better results.
>>
>>2680617
They did do that in the 90s. But then it became a situation in which it doesn't exist as a photo ref and the designer had to communicate visually with art.
>>
File: 1258102200997816649.jpg (128KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
1258102200997816649.jpg
128KB, 800x582px
>>2680621
>They did do that in the 90s
Only goes to show how little you know, you retard baby.
>>
>>2680515
Of course he does, because he realizes obvious shillin doesnt work on non-retards. The message in all of his videos is still "its extremely tough.... unless you join my school" and thats what people take from watching him, as if his school was some Hogwart.

>inb4 naive conceptartistwannabe#3453 chimes in with "acshully, its about working 20 hours a day" and other stuff directly parroted from one of the youtube videos
>>
>>2680533
>being a narcissist
>>
>>2680721
>The message in all of his videos is still "its extremely tough.... unless you join my school"
No at all.
>>
>people in thread acting like they know what they're talking about
>Probably spend all their time shitposting on 4chan
>When asked to show their work they post some shit followed by some excuse
>Probably 20 something but 15 mentally
>I'm basically describing myself

Help
>>
>>2682081
I'm 30 and I've been working in the industry for a decade now. I don't post work because I don't want to be associated with this place.
>>
>>2682086

I can tell lies on the internet too, old man.
>>
>>2680514
This.

I was going through the Austrian and Swiss alps this morning by train, and every fucking mountain is a marvel to look at. I'm just amazed at how varied they are, how their shapes are so far from what we would come up with. How you can guess where the tectonic plates were folded over each other, eroded in crazy ways and so on. And I grew up near the fucking alps and have seen them all my life, yet I'm always amazed at how nature does it.

Meanwhile with all this wealth of information, artists just go with the pointy triangle boring mountains. In the end it seems like some advanced symbol drawing to be honest. I know not every artist needs to do any better, and you can't just spend 5 years learning how to paint mountains exclusively, but there's a general lack of referencing at least.
>>
>>2682121
Oh shit, neighbor?
Vorarlberg?
>>
File: sadpic.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
sadpic.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2682123
Neighbouring country. I live in Lausanne, I was just passing along the alps in the Euronight. It's especially nice because you get to pass through them during sunrise. I tried taking pics but they are disappointing.
>>
>>2680616
>actual refutation
>"hurr durr you're a bigger retard"
yeah, guess who won that argument
>>
File: panorama.jpg (122KB, 1900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
panorama.jpg
122KB, 1900x1200px
>>2682137
>Lausanne
Really nice.
I'm from lake constance.
>>
>>2682156
There was an argument? What did that person win?
>>
>>2682162
Now I want to paint mountains again. Lets go for it !!
>>
>>2677552
>it's a sunny day
>giant swathe of darkness consumes the foreground
Is it supposed to be a passing cloud? What is it made out of, lead?
The "brushstrokes" in the distant sky are also ugly AF. I feel like all these digital landscape painters vastly overestimate the inherent "beauty" of digital brushstrokes vs. traditional brushstrokes.
>>
>>2682310
Yeah, getting really sick of digital brushstrokes like that
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.