[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How comes that every art pleb out there is a master of observational

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1439899998156.jpg (396KB, 1280x1556px) Image search: [Google]
1439899998156.jpg
396KB, 1280x1556px
How comes that every art pleb out there is a master of observational drawing although it's crazy hard? I never liked it but I feel like I can't continue with constructional drawing if I can't even properly observe and bring reference on paper as it is.
>>
I guess because fine art school forces you to do it. That's the main reason. The other is probably because it's what the world looks like?
>>
it's hard but it's very simple, you don't have to do much thinking just being autistic as fuck.
>>
>>2677318
Drawing 1 really hard on ya isnt it mate?
>>
>How comes that every art pleb out there is a master of observational drawing

They're not, 'any retard can copy a photo' is an /ic/ meme, it still takes a lot of practice to be proficient at drawing from observation.

Anyway, constructional drawing can compliment observational drawing. A good construction will ensure everything is placed correctly, from there rendering is much easier. It's a lot harder just to slap down a detailed drawing without an underdrawing, though some people can do that.
>>
>>2677996
I would be already happy if I could outline consistently. For one picture I do pretty good, the next one I fail hard even after several attempts. I don't get this shit.
>>
>>2678048
look for the shapes anon. squint and start simple avoid starting out with anything specific
>>
>>2678097
squinting is retarded

you have to feel the lines of your subject, using your eyes fully but only very briefly
>>
>>2678097
>>2678103
I just need to remove my glasses if I want the same effect as squinting without squinting.
>>
>>2678103

>you have to feel the lines of your subject

For a lay-in you want to establish basic shapes and values, what the fuck are you talking about when you say "feel the lines"? If you're drawing from life / a photo it probably won't have "lines". Lines are invented by the artist to indicate things like form or change in value.

If you're nitpicking in your layin you're going to have a hard time placing things, and if you're rendering before everything is placed mistakes are going to be a bitch to correct. Going from the largest shapes and then narrowing down is a pretty common technique.
>>
>>2677318
>is a master of observational drawing although it's crazy hard?
>it's crazy hard?
>crazy hard?
>crazy
>hard

Guess who's not going to make it ...
>>
>>2678116
>Lines are invented by the artist to indicate things like form or change in value
Exactly why you have to feel the lines, looking for them won't help you.
>>
>>2678128
People who can draw from imagination but are bad at observational drawing are not uncommon.
>>
>>2677318
>every art pleb is a master of observational drawing
then why aren't you?

really makes you think
>>
>>2678133
Observational drawing is one of the most basic skills every aspiring artist has.

It's actually pretty easy to become a human xerox.

If you don't have observational skills, then there's your problem, you still draw with symbols and you need to get rid of symbols to advance, but that's a really easy step, simply practice moar.
>>
>>2677996
> 'any retard can copy a photo'

There's some truth to this, though it should be restated to "anyone can wing it until it looks close given enough time".
>>
>>2678142
>simply practice moar

It's virtually simple, anon. The problem is to get discipline and time to practice on a daily basis.
>>
>>2678146
just practicing more won't help if you aren't practicing deliberately. You'll get better at drawing consistent lines but if you aren't actively self-critical you will never develop the awareness to improve your rendering ability.
>>
There was this documentary about this retard who spent several years copying a single painting of a master. He did it, pretty much an exact copy. He didn't even trace.
>>
>>2678153

>just practicing more won't help

Unless you have a learning disability it'll still help, just not as much as deliberate practice.
>>
>>2678185
He has a point that it's far less effecient to practice without a plan. It's just that if you don't know how to plan yet it's better to just start or you will worry without ever doing something.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.