[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I am currently reading Dodson's Keys to Drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: thetip.jpg (28KB, 457x131px) Image search: [Google]
thetip.jpg
28KB, 457x131px
Hey guys, I am currently reading Dodson's Keys to Drawing and I am on the section about mapping light and dark areas. I just read this tip and can someone give me an example of his tip? The picture in the book does not really help.
>>
you can't be serious

>use hard edges for hard edges
>run the pencil back and forth across the boundary line for soft edges (ie use a soft edge)

do you need someone to explain which end of the pencil goes where?
>>
>>2676391
>you can't be serious
Yes I am, and based on your answer, it seems you don't really appreciate what Dodson is saying here. Let me outline below.
>use hard edges for hard edges
Dodson says to stop the fill-in strokes at the boundary line, which I completely understand. What I do not understand is running the strokes over the boundary line for soft edges. Wouldn't I be making a new hard edge based on my strokes over the boundary?
>>
>>2676467
Take a pencil and find out, idiot.

Spoiler alert, the answer is no.
>>
>>2676343
imagine if you posted this question in the beg thread

you wouldnt have been pood on
>>
>>2676946
He would have been ignored though, the beg thread goes fast and the people who give advice are kind of outnumbered
>>
File: linesforplanninglight.png (27KB, 526x208px) Image search: [Google]
linesforplanninglight.png
27KB, 526x208px
>>2676343
autismfag reply here
>>
>>2677245
You're golden bruv thanks
>>
>>2676467
> Wouldn't I be making a new hard edge based on my strokes over the boundary?

You want to fade it out so it's not hard. There should be a gradient from the hard boundary line out to the white of the paper(or toned BG)

Soft edges are not hard, so to make them look soft you use gradients that go from the darkest shadow out to the lightest color
>>
>>2676343
I don't think it's very clear wether he's talking about doing a gradient with a pencil or using hatching to make an optical gray.

Or just talking about mapping as >>2677245
said.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.