[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you know how far "off paper" to put two vanishing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: vp.jpg (14KB, 384x260px) Image search: [Google]
vp.jpg
14KB, 384x260px
How do you know how far "off paper" to put two vanishing points to be "realistic"? I am a complete noob if you can't tell.
>>
>>2676292
In 2-point, "realism" is based on how close or how far the two point are away from each other: closer means more distortion/makes it feel like you're closer; And further apart gives more flat, distant 'telophoto lens' feel. Good practice is to get a cuboid object and draw it a few times with different VP setups and you'll start to understand the effect
>>
>>2676292
One point perspective is just a special case of two point perspective, it's just the other point(s) is off to the left and right at infinity,off the page.

In two point, you can have the point as close or far a part as you want, it'll just dictate the scale of your drawing.

Sorry if you asked the wrong question. I have no idea what I just answered.
>>
We have a beginner thread and recommended books for a fucking reason.
>>
>>2676300

Calm down. I read the sticky before posting this, even though it's my first time here. It's going to be a while until the book gets here. I also have "Figure Drawing for All Its Worth" by Loomis, and I know he never answered this question.

>>2676298

Thanks man.

>>2676299

All good, ty.
>>
>>2676302
Read Perspective Made Easy.
>>
>>2676331
>>2676300
ive read books on perspective and own perspective made easy and its still so fucking confusing
>>
>>2676342
Stop reading and start applying it dude

A ton of art is just getting the bare minimum steps and a whole lot of application and asking yourself questions
>>
File: 6 perspective-turn object.jpg (107KB, 605x680px) Image search: [Google]
6 perspective-turn object.jpg
107KB, 605x680px
>>2676292
http://www.architecturerevived.com/perspective-drawing-tutorial-art-technique/

That website had more useful and concise information that I needed to get started than most other sources i've found. Also if you're drawing more rectangles you add another pair of vanishing points that are an equal distance apart... thats basically it.

The distances between the points is entirely upto you, how many pairs you have... is upto you - I think i'm a dumb cunt but I hate how perspective information is presented when really most of it is arbitrary.

>>2676361
Do this though, no amount of reading about it matters you have to test it, work out whats wrong then fix it.
>>
>>2676464

>gee ic, how come your mom lets you have 3 vanishing points?!
>>
>>2676474
you're not fun, stop embarassing yourself
>>
>>2676302
>It's going to be a while until the book gets here.
oh shit nigger what are you doing
>>
>>2676302
Loomis books are free man why are you ordering it? Unless you plan on reading on the train or something
>>
Wide-angle: Vanishing points are close to each other

Telephoto: Vanishing points are far from each other
>>
>>2677084

By "far", I mean "vanishing points past the canvas/composition" far.

By "close", I mean "vanishing points in the canvas/composition" close.

If the vanishing points are way too far, you can resort to using atmospheric perspective instead.
>>
>>2677084
Thanks but how do you decide how far you should place them?
Scott Robertson's book suggests a 60 degrees opening of your cone of vision should limit the area you draw on to avoid distortion, but I don't really get how am i supposed to apply that information.
>>
>>2677223

It really depends on which type of scene you want to do. It only looks distorted if you do wide angle type of pictures.
>>
>>2677238
Let's say an interior, like a house kitchen or a small room. Some of Moebius' serigraphies have two vanishing points for close ups, I can't seem to find his way of calculating where the points are supposed to be
>>
>>2676292
the horizon line is literally on eye level, it should be the first thing you find out on your own, but you don't and that's what it literally is
sit, stand, lay on the sidewalk and start drawing the distance and keep your eyes forward to what you see as the horizon, don't move your head, try to keep it in place and draw
>>
>>2677250
That wasn't the question, pal
>>
File: thecameraisanobjectinyourpic.png (174KB, 1700x768px) Image search: [Google]
thecameraisanobjectinyourpic.png
174KB, 1700x768px
>>2676292
autismfag tutorial again I prob misunderstand the question though I think youre not thinking of your camera placement
>>
>>2677250
>he can't move his head up and down
not gonna make it
>>
>>2677250

He didn't ask where the horizon line was, he asked where to place vanishing points on that line.
>>
It's going to depend on the field of view you want your image to cover. The two vanishing points are 90 degrees apart, so if they're both in the image, it means your image is covering a rather wide angle.

So like, if your field of view was 45 deg and one vanishing point was right on the edge, the other edge of your image would be halfway to the second vanishing point. Basically, you can figure it out with trigonometry if you aren't retarded.
>>
i have a some what related question if the vanishing points are off the page in a traditional medium how do you keep track of where they are? are there toolsor tricks you can use to keep up with this or do you just draw on the table and tape the paper to it.
>>
>>2677314
a separate piece of paper is what I used to use with a line for the edge of the drawing placement and H and V on the spare paper
>>
>>2677324
thanks anon , i will give that a try.
>>
>>2677328
once you get better at it you won't need the spae sheet, just keep in mind the lines are all parallel
>>
File: 1minute.png (60KB, 1374x846px) Image search: [Google]
1minute.png
60KB, 1374x846px
If Im thinking correctly and you want something that "works" without much consideration (and are working digitally, and want something more than just guesstimation), make a giant square, rotate it to the angle you want represented in your picture, drop it down with the closest corner from the point of vision, where it's big enough to intersect properly with the horizon.

Cut out a circle from where the point of vision intersects with the horizon, without hitting the bottom 90 degree angle (the closer you get to it, the more distortion you get). Work your composition within the circle, and if you want you can rotate the box on it's corner to move the vanishing points and have 90 degree objects properly rotated in your composition.

Someone correct if Im wrong though, this is off the top of my head.
>>
>>2677331
to be honest I think you only need to understand a lil bit about photography, is all about the angle of vision.

is it a wide-angle/fish eye lens?: make the separation small (normally the inside the sheet)
is it a normal lens/human eye? make the separation bigger than the previous one, keep one point inside, other outside.
is it a telephoto? keep both points outside the sheet.

I am giving you magic measures but really is all about what feels right to you, there's no way to be exact about this, just thumbnail your stuff and test out before actually commiting.

Your approach is not bad, you're technically creating a lens, but in the long run is gonna take you more time.
>>
>linear perspective
>realistic
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.