[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, i found a good routine sheet i'm gonna test out but

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: APiNTfr.jpg (249KB, 1191x842px) Image search: [Google]
APiNTfr.jpg
249KB, 1191x842px
Hi, i found a good routine sheet i'm gonna test out but there's some words I don't understand?

CHOW
COW
IDW
EOW
>>
>>2674880
>CHOW
chow down on some yummy food
>COW
take care of the farmland
>IDW
go read some comic books
>EOW
go home, officer
>>
>>2674880
referencing the old conceptart.org weekly challenges. Character, creature, industrial design and environment of the week.
>>
>>2674880
This would drive me insane doing something different everyday.
>>
>>2674880
Well if it works for you, go for it, but the most efficient way is practising things one at a time. It looks like this person is trying to improve, but it basically making a lot harder than it needs to be.

Focus on something you want to improve on and do that, not 10000 other things.
>>
>>2674894
This. Been a long time since I've seen people talk of them though so it must be an old routine sheet.
CHOW = CHaracter Of the Week
COW = Creature Of the Week
IDW = Industrial Design of the Week
EOW = Environment Of the Week

Every week they would put a challenge up on the topic, people would need to post wips and a final, and then there would be a poll for the community to vote on who won that week. Winners would get a small badge next to their username which was actually a big status symbol in the community. At one point it was quite popular and you would get like 100+ entries per week in CHOW and many of them would be professionals.

They later added some other ones like Teen Challenge which was a weekly challenge on any topic really for teenagers, and Illustration of the Week which focused more on storytelling and less on design.

Source: I ran the Teen Challenge and Illustration of the Week for a while, and I also won CHOW once.
>>
>>2675148
How do you know when you're not practicing over and over in a comfort zone though?
>>
>>2675223
Self awareness.
>>
>>2675223
If you can't tell that you're not in your comfort zone or not then maybe do a craft that doesnt require intuition and decision making.
>>
>>2675155
>Source: I ran the Teen Challenge and Illustration of the Week for a while, and I also won CHOW once.
So uh
mind if I ask some questions?
Did you 'make it'? Is your day job work creative?
how'd you get to the level where you can win a chow?
Do you have any thoughts on training regiments / schedules?
Generally How much did you practice to git gud?
How much do you study now today?
>>
>>2675223
Define a goal, why are you studing, what do you want to learn? When is this done?

Test where you stand;
Try to make something as best you can

if you are studying anatomy
draw a full figure
and then
from that
try to work out what you need to work on next
>>
>>2675274
>Did you 'make it'? Is your day job work creative?
I do freelance illustration at the moment, but am not making good money at all. It's enough to live off of but I live really cheaply and could make more working some other job.

>how'd you get to the level where you can win a chow?
Practice. I actually won it when I was 17 I think so hadn't been painting all that long. I just ground exercises in my free time then. I forced myself through all the "boring" things like copying every single image out of different anatomy books multiple times over, or doing daily timed studies. I was also lucky in that it was a special event CHOW where you needed to do two images instead of one and you had two weeks, so there were fewer entries than usual, though I still beat out some known pros. They did better technical work but I had a more interesting idea.

>Do you have any thoughts on training regiments / schedules?
I think regular practice is more important than doing intense spurts and then burning out and taking breaks. I also think that approaching things very logically to study efficiently and not just stay stuck in a loop is necessary. I was never able to stick to any precise schedule, I just made sure to mix up what exercises I did so I didn't become too unbalanced, and was always trying to be aware of weaknesses.

>Generally How much did you practice to git gud?
Not as much as you may think. In high school probably around 1 to 3 hours several times a week, and I tried to go to life drawing once a week if I could. Once I got to art school (which I dropped out of) I practiced way less but that was due to depression probably.

>How much do you study now today?
I don't study much these days. If I have time to work on my own stuff instead of client work I would rather do creative work usually. But I also have been very depressed for several years which impacts my output a ton and probably is a large reason why I have plateaued somewhat for several years now.
>>
>>2675297
I don't know whether to say congratulations or to make a comment on how depression sucks.
Both I guess.

Thanks for the thoughts though.
>>
>>2675310
Well that's how life goes I guess. It's shit when it interferes with my life, but sometimes it's not as bad and can be fuel for my art. A few pieces of mine that were inspired by my depression ended up getting into the upcoming Spectrum, so I guess that's nice.
>>
>>2675297
>I do freelance illustration
translation: I'm too much of a millenial to have drive and common business sense.
>>
>>2675325
?
>>
>>2675325
>DAE LE MILLINIALS SUCK?
Back to /pol/ faggot
>>2675297
Sucks to hear about your depression anon. I'm in the same boat atm, hope you get better. And thanks for sharing.
>>
>>2675330
You know what a hugbox is? Well youre in one. Anytime some one complains online about thier inner emtional struggles and tries to use that to get sympathy points in order to justify the bad choices they keep making is pathetic. "I do freelance, but dont make much" is code for "I dont like to work unless it makes me emotinal content, and I just leech off others until that happens"
>>
>>2675344
Oh, well you're pretty much right then.
>>
>>2675344
you know
I specifically asked him for his thoughts
and if anon answers with some shit about depression
that's not an excuse
that's his perspective he's giving

stop projecting
>>
>>2675344
>complain
>just giving information
>>
>>2675348
youre nosy and most likely emotional unstable. you ask so you can use other peoples emotional problems to distract you from your own problems. too much of a gossip bitch to face your own life
>>
>>2675344
>hugbox is? Well youre in one
you really are a fucking retard aren't you? Just because some people on here decide to be nice every now and then doesn't make this a hugbox. Would you rather have people shitting on each other the whole time? I bet you would still call it a hugbox.

That other dude asked him about his life and the anon gave him an honest reply. You're such a cunt m8.
>>
>>2674880
>>2675155

Waste of time. Theres like 10 people in total participating in these challenges and theyre all absolute beginner level, on top of that voting is just a circlejerk. Even mods running these challenges are years away from being entry level in the industry.

You wont learn anything there.
>>
>>2675357
Wrong thread?
>>
>>2675362
No?
>>
>>2675352
I would rather you grow the fuck and stop crying then anything, m8
>>
>>2675357
>you won't learn anything from drawing
>>
>>2675223
ask an older woman to take a good hard look at you
>>
>>2675325
so insightful
>>
>>2675351
wow, a basket case.
>>
>>2675386
Touch a nerve?
>>
>>2675370
>you wont learn anything from trying to compete with other noobs and hoping to get a crit from people that wouldnt get any kind of art job (assuming you make the 1% chance of someone spending time to give you a crit on CA)

Of course you will learn from drawing. In fact, you will learn from making a piece for a project with clear direction and theme, you will also learn how to research.

Point is, CA is a shithole these days and you will be better off doing the same but for a project of your own youre interested in.
>>
>>2675724
No shit. Everyone knows CA went to shit several years ago. The schedule in OP is just super old and was made back when they were decent challenges. This thread was just explaining what the acronyms meant.
>>
>>2675724
>assuming you make the 1% chance of someone spending time to give you a crit on CA
Is ConceptArt really that bad?
>>
>>2675729
There have been several mass exoduses over the years. All the pros and people of any value have long left, which for a community that relies on pros is deadly. Forums also as a medium are now outdated/no longer relevant. Yes it's bad.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.