[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is having artist friends? I have zero IRL. I think

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

How important is having artist friends?

I have zero IRL. I think it'd help, as I'm too self conscious of a person to willingly be the outlier, and to be proud of it on top of that.
>>
>>2669658
>How important is having artist friends?
Not very. Co-workers/colleague =! friends. If you want friends, pick up a social hobby. Art isn't really a social hobby since the point is to study and practice to improve not fool around and obsess over memes.
>>
>>2669681
Filmmaking can be a social hobby. When I'm not on a crew for commercial,corporate videos I help some of my friends in the field with storyboards for their personal projects.
>>
>>2669687
I was thinking more in the sense of digital illustration. Having friends in the same field is not important at all. Filmmaking has a much more social aspect to it. It's nothing like the Illustration route.
>>
>>2669681
You're mistaken, I do have friends, just none who are artists. They all acknowledge me as the artist guy. Also I wasn't really asking about finding friends to socialize, but really to have more people to bounce ideas off of as well as have that community of people who really understand the creative struggle.

/ic/ doesn't count. I've been here for a while but it really doesn't do it for me. I'm just here because it's as 4chan as any other board, and I enjoy 4chan for its own merits.
>>
>>2669658
Oh, shit...

Did you know the main character of The Jackie Chan adventures is inspired in the martial artist and actor Chan Kong Sang, better known as Jackie Chan?
>>
>>2669658

-They can help push you/give you motivation to study and succeed

-They can open you up to different sources of inspiration/help you out of a rut

-If they are part of the same art scene you want to enter, they can offer connections/insight and open doors for you.

-They can offer you insight to your work and offer support/advice

-Social interaction can help stave off the crushing depression of being an artist

As long as they aren't a suck-up or an ignorant asshole, you'll probably get more net gain from interacting with other artists.
>>
>>2669706
holy shit O:
>>
>>2669701
>community of people who really understand the creative struggle.
You can build that with anyone with a hobby that deals with creativity tbhfam. Filmmaking, music, writers, content creators in general. Some of my best friends are hobbyist musicians, filmmakers, and writers. I have very little actual friends who are also illustrators. Most of the ones I run into online are deep into fandoms or obsess over dumb memes. Not my thing.
>>
>>2669694
What do illustrators even do? Why does googling it get such terrible artists? Like 3DSense's students aren't even that good after two years when FZD only takes a year.
>>
File: 1472602866564.jpg (38KB, 296x323px) Image search: [Google]
1472602866564.jpg
38KB, 296x323px
>>2669721
All of which you describe is to me what that world I'm looking for is like. I don't know where I could find that

>>2669737
That last part: same. It's just run of the mill 4chan people.

I guess I do have designer friends but it's pretty tragic how they just complain about their shitty entry level jobs or are too busy spending their tech money to really talk about the art of their craft. Some of the people I do know probably do have a creative hobby, it's just that they probably don't display it out in the open like me, as if it's an STD or something.
>>
>>2669747
-Go to exhibitions/gallery openings of art that you find to be similar to what you're interested in.

-Take classes and get to know your schoolmates/teachers/professors.

-Rent time in a communal studio and spend time with those there.

-Find chartrooms/forums that are more social than /ic/ (with personal accounts, places to chat, PMing etc.) that follow your artistic interests and try to join that community/make friends in it.

-Follow/message a favorite artist of yours or a person with a gallery/blog/etc with art similar to what you want to achive that and see if you can strike up a conversation with them or other admirers

-Some art scenes have conventions (tattoo, anime/cartoon, etc). Go to one of those and interact with fellow attendees, panelists, vendors, artist alley folk, etc.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.