[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these really necessary for drawing...? I've used guide

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 2276_step7_4ced23c159e0a.jpg (43KB, 600x405px) Image search: [Google]
2276_step7_4ced23c159e0a.jpg
43KB, 600x405px
Are these really necessary for drawing...? I've used guide lines for most of my life when drawing, but I question their usefulness now that im not particular baby mode beginner artist any more. And also the fact that I see some artists that don't use them at all. Mostly on places online such as drawpile and flockmod since I don't know any one in real life that draws.
>>
Show your work
>>
>>2669141
Why?
>>
>>2669136
It's on the name. They're GUIDElines.
>>
I think guidelines are always important. When used properly they are really useful in keeping your proportions and perspective in check.
I think when you see other artists not using guidelines anymore is because they've used them so much they can internalize the process or their work is so stylized or abstract they don't use it in the first place.
>>
Guidelines are good when you're still developing the ability to construct in your head. They're also good for when you're struggling with how something should look on the paper.

So maybe you're drawing a 3/4 head and you quickly nail the front eye without construction lines. But then you start to struggle at the back eye, so perhaps you draw a light circle then wrap the eyelids around it.

Really it's up to your discretion how dependent you are with guidelines.
>>
>>2669143
so we can determine if it's necessary for you or not
>>
>>2669152
That won't be necessary just answer the question
>>
>>2669155
That question can't be answered in a general manner because it's entirely dependent on your own art. If your finished work looks just how you want it to look without using guidelines, then obviously you won't need them. If your work lacks a sense of volume, perspective, gesture etc, then you should probably do a construction sketch to help you get those things right in the final drawing.
>>
>>2669155
see >>2669151 >>2669150 >>2669144
>>
A lot of art pros never use guidelines.

I met a comic book artist that draws Spiderman. He literally does THREE FUCKING LINES and starts inking.

Construction in general may be extremely useful for beginners. When you're good enough, you can skip all the extra lines and still have a decent drawing, but because you have lots of hours of practice and you are extremely familiar with your subject.

I used to draw animu heads since I was a kid. I no longer use guidelines, but that's simply for animu heads. I still struggle with the human figure.
>>
>>2669136
It's simply a matter of your "performance".

If you're just sketching, you don't have to do guidelines. not using them might even free you to an extent.

If you're doing a full piece, with focus on composition and whatnots, guidelines are extremely helpful for plotting out everything.

Even Kim Jung Gi ,who is renown for his straight ahead ink drawings, uses guidelines and undersketches for his client work.
>>
hehe...meme
>>
File: 1471588056737.jpg (196KB, 432x444px) Image search: [Google]
1471588056737.jpg
196KB, 432x444px
Are you saying you're too cool for guide lines?
>>
It depends on how tight you want your drawing to be.

If your lines have a lot of play to them, like heavy brushed inks, then you can fudge a bit and don't need as much prep work.

If you want to draw nice clean lines then you need the guide lines.

If you're really proficient, and by that I mean you've done tens of thousands of drawings in a particular pose, then you probably don't need guidelines.

Really, the point of a lot of guidelines is to establish gesture. You lay them down fast to establish your rhythms. Anyone who feels they're a big enough pain in the ass to consider not doing is someone who probably needs to spend more time on them.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.