[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the general consensus on using tools with drawing/sketching,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: ellipse_tool.gif (10KB, 228x229px) Image search: [Google]
ellipse_tool.gif
10KB, 228x229px
What's the general consensus on using tools with drawing/sketching, not just digitally but also paper tools like rulers, compasses, protractors, etc. For instance, if I were to draw a head right now, I'd draw a circle with a vertical and horizontal line going through the middle.

I only ask because I know one of the most basic principles of drawing relies on drawing lines and shapes, such as circles, and this feels like an easy cheat away from that.
>>
>>2668125
Use whatever tools you need. A ruler and compass won't magically let you draw a perfect head.
>>
File: 810886.jpg (130KB, 1204x875px) Image search: [Google]
810886.jpg
130KB, 1204x875px
>>2668125

>pic related
Tools yes

>Space Marines
Tools no
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (230KB, 349x473px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
230KB, 349x473px
"No tools, just rules." - Glen "Loomis" Vilppu.
>>
I've never used a line or ellipse tool. When I was shit, I just did the stroke over and over until I got something decent, because I knew that was how you got good. Now that I can do it, I don't need the tools anyways.

If you're doing a technical design, something that absolutely needs to be geometrically accurate, then use it, but otherwise just practice your strokes.

Only case traditionally I'd say to use tools is if you're doing something like inking and you really need it to be laser accurate and you can't risk fucking up. Even then, I'd use them sparingly. If you're really bad, at least attempt to do it a number of times before giving up and grabbing your tool just to clean up your line.

If you're not struggling, you won't get better. The whole learning process is adapting to deal with failure.
>>
If you're drawing a series of boxes, and boxes on boxes, is using a straight edge cheating?
>>
>>2668252
Do you make your own charcoal?
Do you make your own paper?

It's not cheating, it's using a tool. Drawing is more than just drawing straight lines. Skill (and the lack thereof) always shows, no matter whether you use a straight edge or not.
>>
whatever you feel like you want to use, just fucking use it. There is no 'cheating' or 'wrong' way. All that matters is what you want. Do you WANT to be good at freehand ellipses or straight lines? Don't let anyone say that you SHOULD, because everyone's journey is different.

Someone saying you have to use your freehand abilities to become a good artist is like a Baby Boomer saying you need to get a 60 hr/week day labor job to be successful. Times have changed. Use the tools you have to do the best you can.
>>
>>2668125

Do you realize that the loomis head (or any form of construction) was never supposed to be drawn with a perfect circle? It's just a loose guideline. Drawing a vector circle will make your drawings worse. Not better.
>>
>>2668252

If the purpose is to learn construction then yes, you're cheating yourself. If you want to draw a finished illustration with boxes then use a ruler to your heart's content.
>>
I mock up and trace 3D figures + scenes in perfect perspective, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.