[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys i've been analyzing some cartoon abckgrounds and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: RM VP.jpg (735KB, 5108x1074px) Image search: [Google]
RM VP.jpg
735KB, 5108x1074px
Hey guys i've been analyzing some cartoon abckgrounds and trying to figure out where the vanishing points on them are.

But for some reason no matter how far i draw the lines, it seems like all the bgs in the show don't even have on clear vanishing point, they just head in a similar direction but dont reall ever meet.

Am i missing something?
>>
File: RM VP2.jpg (575KB, 4392x1072px) Image search: [Google]
RM VP2.jpg
575KB, 4392x1072px
>>2663987
>>
>>2663987
give me the unedited pic and I'll find it for you
>>
>>2663987
>Am i missing something?
Yes, you are expecting mathematical precision from a drawing that has none.

Practice on photos.
>>
youre seriously trying to study rick and morty of all things?
>>
>>2664034
Audible Kek
>>
File: RMS.jpg (821KB, 1920x1072px) Image search: [Google]
RMS.jpg
821KB, 1920x1072px
>>2663998
Sure here you go, thanks!
>>2663999
But isn't art about precision too
>>2664034
I'm analyzing cartoon bgs in general. Gravity falls peaked my interest but i have HD copies of the episodes on hand so i'm analyzing them atm.
>>
>>2664053
Is this bait?
>>2663999 just told you that you are analizing shit that isn't precise
>But isn't art about precision too
Yes, but guess what, they don't bother on mesuring them.

get some photos
>>
>>2663988
first line doesnt even connect to any concrete display of perspective

second line is seriously disconnected from the windowsill, its like visibly 8-10 pixels off

why even do this if you arent going to take your time and do it right

it looks like you just opened the picture in paint and threw a bunch of random lines on there, almost none of them are accurate or line up with the things that they are supposed to
>>
>>2664053

I was legitimately going to help you. You can fuck off with your trolling you unfunny piece of shit.
>>
>>2664063
Was being legit about it, not trolling. Sorry if i came off as that.
>>
perspective lines lose much of their ease of use when things stop being all perfectly lined up on a grid

take the buildings in the window of the background of >>2663988, unless all those buildings are lined up on a perfect grid so that they all have sides that are perpendicular to each other (and the building you can see them from) then extending the line from the top of one of said buildings will not lineup with the vanishing point from the the perspective grid inside the room

now this isn't to say that it's impossible to put everything on the same vanishing point(s), just that it involves a lotta math (mainly trigonometry) to figure out, and while it's useful to understand how it works, it's often too time consuming to do for every piece. learn how to do it the hard way and then take away from that what you need to help you be able to "feel" out and eye perspective. as with everything, it comes with practice.
>>
>>2664080
Thanks for the explanation. I was really wondering how good backgrounds are done. Ie if they all start out with a grid/vanishing lines and always follow that rule or if people take liberties with them.
>>
>>2663988
>>2663987
Hey you, theres a large uncertainty in how accurate your red lines are. Because
1. The original lines are very thick
2. Extrapolation from very short lines
2. Human error, you couldnt overlay your redline in the exact gradient as the original

Any small uncertainty becomes very large when you extrapolate it. The results in your images, specially in the second one should be satisfactory (given the poor effort you put in)

Youre not missing anything. But you'd definitely be wrong to try to conclude that cartoon BGs dont use perspective just from this study.
>>
"Good enough" is the keyword here.

In addition, R&M isn't exactly full-blown realism (drawing style wise).
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.