[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my friend just gave me some of his old paint brushes. he used

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

So my friend just gave me some of his old paint brushes. he used them with oil paint and almost every brush is hardened like stone. i've tried washing them but it didn't do anything. should i just throw them out/stick it back to friend's ass or is there any cure for them?
>>
wash them in organic solvent, its oils after all
>>
>>2659969
Throwthem out if the paint has dried. What did you think would happen? Get some turps, gamsol, or mineral spirits.
>>
>>2659980
>what did you think would happen
Sorry, misread and thought you had let them dry with paint on them. Why the fuck would he give you ruined brushes? What a pal.
>>
>>2659981
i dunno he gave me lots of canvases and some oil paints too.
>>2659972
sorry for dumb question but is there a specific organic solvent you can tell me?
>>
>>2660076
anon means mineral spirits or turpentine

but you can try soaking them in oil first, it's much less nasty. linseed oil, or mineral oil (baby oil) will do in a pinch
>>
>>2660745
>>
What's the point? A brush is a finally tuned and constructed tool. If someone has treated their brushes so horribly that they have hardened then they are wortheless now.

Brush care begins the moment you start painting with them. How you mix colors, control your medium, or clean your brush between pigments to cleaning them after a painting session and storing them properly. A good brush is very expensive and is only as good as you treat it.

There are faggots that take pride in their shit workflow and messiness but they are either students or obvious amateurs. A well kept brush will ensure smooth, easily controlled strokes and clear vibrant colors.

Throw all that shit out OP and look up some of the basics.
>>
>>2662427
All my painting books, including one by the artist of the OP pic suggest warm water and soap. Is there anything better for cleaning nowadays?
>>
>>2662427
A lot of big pros actually use shit brushes. I know Coro uses the most beat up old brushes that barely hold together and have hardened parts and would have been thrown out ages ago by most people. Yet he swears by it.

That said, if you are a beginner then yeah use the best materials you can. No point fighting the materials in addition to trying to learn the basics of drawing and painting.
>>
File: cleaner.jpg (8KB, 200x193px) Image search: [Google]
cleaner.jpg
8KB, 200x193px
>>2662666
let it soak overnight
>>
File: 390702.jpg (28KB, 273x384px) Image search: [Google]
390702.jpg
28KB, 273x384px
If your brushes have fossilized, >>2662706 won't do shit. You need to soak in pic related for at least 8 hours and give them a swirl every few hours.
>>
RELATED QUESTION

I'm about to finally start painting, but I don't know the basics, like mixing, palette handling, brush care etc... all the practical stuff. Any books or resources on the subject? I just need to get started, so do I just dab some paint on a palette and then what? clean brushes between colors how? with solvent or what. I don't even know what I don't know. also: oil or acrylic?
>>
Try paint stripper. The violent stuff will soften the paint in a few minutes. Once its soft enough that the bristles can bend, work enough in that everthing becomes pliable, then clean as normal
>>
OP here found easiest solution of the problem that everybody should be able to do at home.
I just boiled every brush for 10 minuts in vinegar, after that took them and wash them in tap water.
7 out of 9 brushes recovered. i'm gonna use same method tomorrow for those two
>>
>>2662427
>here are faggots that take pride in their shit workflow and messiness but they are either students or obvious amateurs.

They think it comes with being "creative".

Like how it's "fashionable" to have a caked-up palette with gobs of dried paint and you just mix paints on top of that jumbled mess, or you have paint-smeared brushes soaked in some cup or mug for days.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.