[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, is there any tricks or advices when creating robot-like

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: Machinedramon.full.1979266.jpg (791KB, 1223x1305px) Image search: [Google]
Machinedramon.full.1979266.jpg
791KB, 1223x1305px
Hey guys, is there any tricks or advices when creating robot-like characters?
I'm trying to create some, but when I'm doing it, they all look the same with minor differences.
How to be creative and original when trying to draw something like this?
>>
>>2657829

Visual library. It's not all that diffrent from drawing different human characters, you just have a different and more varied "anatomy" to consider. Copy robot designs you like and also study industrial machinery.
>>
>>2657829
Try to look at Pinterest.

It has lots of pictures you can use for inspiration, and may have some useful tutorials.

Remember: Flat metal pannels are almost unused on actual robotic design.

Take a look at a bulldozer or a car.

It has more things than only metal: Plastic for the tires, glass, lights... And it's not a single piece of metal. It has many smaller pieces with smaller details.
>>
>>2657837
>>2657846
Thank you.
>>
>>2657851

Also this, here's a primer on machine "anatomy"
>>
>>2657852
Wow, that's really great.
Thank you.
>>
avoid ball joints and always keep the method of actuation in mind, most complexity is focused in the joints. The absolute best way to draw a robot is to try and design a functional one with a full range of motion
>>
File: PC_BountyBot_02.jpg (246KB, 1600x993px) Image search: [Google]
PC_BountyBot_02.jpg
246KB, 1600x993px
>>2657852
this plus learn about joints, do studies of actual machines to build up your visual library, robot arms are a great source for interesting joints. Having joints that could actually function is the biggest thing if you want your robots to look believable.
>>
>>2657829

I remember when I was a kid Machinedramon was the coolest thing ever.

Now I look at it and shit my pants at how good that drawing is.
>>
>>2657829
https://warosu.org/ic/thread/2538165#p2539822
>>
>>2657829
Ive got nothing to contribute other than damn that picture is amazing. I've been staring at it for about 10 minutes, so many interesting details and design.
>>
>>2658028
All that advicedoes is encourage retroactive justification aka bullshitting
>>
>>2658330
explain
>>
>>2657829
Think about interior mechanics. How it moves. The more in depth you think about the robot the more convincing it will be.
>>
>>2657829
Just look at heavy machinery. Look at excavators and how their joints move. Use that reference and build off it with you imagination.
>>
>>2658330
What the fuck are you talking about?

There is a lot of damn good advice on that archived thread.
>>
File: 57306430_p15_master1200.jpg (957KB, 1200x868px) Image search: [Google]
57306430_p15_master1200.jpg
957KB, 1200x868px
>>2657829
I love sasasi's work
>>
OP here.
Guys, sorry for the late response, but I'm very grateful for all help you're giving.
I hope in a near future I can show you the results of this help.
>>
bump.
I'm lurking Katerina Bykodorova and saw a few mech books that seem could help some people. don't die yet, Im watching what are the best ones
>>
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.