[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get that smooth effect ? You don't see the "mark"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: 1472073795290.jpg (43KB, 494x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472073795290.jpg
43KB, 494x720px
How do you get that smooth effect ?
You don't see the "mark" of whatever the artist used.
The halftones are very soft.

Did he used pencil ? What material did he used ?

Same thing for the background, how do you do that ?
>>
>>2652001
rub the lines with your finger
>>
>>2652003
What ?!
That's disgusting, no one does that
>>
>>2652004
use a stomp then
>>
>>2652004
Nigga, I don't even know much about art,
But you must be trolling.
>>
stomp+chamois cloth

maybe even a chamois stomp

or vine and slight pressure
>>
>>2652001
It's charcoal. Very smudgy.
>>
I like that the artist in OPs pic came thru with the charcoal to outline the figure at the very end. As if it weren't eye candy before
>>
>>2652001
blend with a tortillon
or a folded tissue
>>
>>2652008
You dont use your finger to smudge your drawing, that's common sense

>>2652014
So it's charcoal ? Or the use of a stomp ?

>>2652040
I thought the artist used a very greasy pencil (8 or 9b)
>>
smudge it with your fingers
>>
>>2652001
being good
>>
>>2652001
Willow charcoal, toothy paper like rives lightweight, smudge with finger, chamois, or stomp.

I went looking for this effect, that's a combo that works.

>>2652128
>greasy pencil

No. Kek.

>You dont use your finger to smudge your drawing, that's common sense

There's a time and place for all tools. If you need a smooth gradient and you're working a <30 minute pose, finger smudging is fine.
>>
is it just me or is the left asscheek a meter long
>>
>>2652207
that's a good thing
>>
>>2652207
i mean the right
>>
>>2652003
>>2652004
>>2652008
>>2652128
you can use a smooth toilet paper to smooth it.
>>
>>2652014
Charcoal can be smudged like this?
Holy shit, now I'l really excited about trying out the charcoal pencils I ordered, I smudge everything.
>>
>>2652289
I really need to get charcoal, the only material I have is pencil and used markers
>>
>>2652304
I only have a couple of pencils, and constantly get comments about pushing my values. It just doesn't work well with a single HB and a lifetime-borrowed IKEA pencil.

I wanted to buy 3 pencils different hardnesses, but for slighlty more I could buy 12 pencils, then I wanted to try charcoal, then I was told about kneaded erasers, so fuck it and I bought a full starter kit for 10€, with 12 pencils, 3 charcoal pencils, kneaded eraser + 3 "pencil-like" erasers, and some other shit and it cost less than buying just a few pieces.

Can't wait to receive it.
>>
People in this thread believing that they'll have the value control even remotely close to the original author just cause of charcoal. Toppest of ic keks
>>
>>2652411
No.
>>
>>2652411
You missed the entire point of the thread

I was asking about the smooth effect, and got answers o'm how I have to use fingers or tissue over pencil.
Doing this smudges everything and makes every halftone the same color. You lose the relief and the contrast of everything
>>
>>2652008

Finger smudging anything but a tiny detail is terrible.

I'm pretty sure in the case of that drawing and most like it the artist applies charcoal powder with a brush. And those that don't use a blending stub, not their finger.
>>
>>2652510
I use my finger all the time, basically everywhere, or it looks like shit... I even dampen my finger if I need a more noticeable smudge.
If I don't it just looks like shit, with all the marks left by the pencil.
>>
>>2652001
Hold the pencil/pen very lightly, control your arm with your shoulder and don't draw from the wrist, and essentially do a very light crosshatching repeatedly. It takes a long time but the results are worth it, by building up graphite layers you get more of that light and airy effect out of the final product.

My teacher, Geoff Flack, can do the craziest fucking things with a ballpoint pen.
>>
>>2652510
Plenty of big name artists use their fingers.
>>
>>2652001
If you want to use vine charcoal though you just gotta sharpen the fuck out of it nonstop. You can get that effect without smudging you just need to work hard.
>>
>>2652618
thats and interesting thing, sometimes i do the layered cross hatch, but if im using charcoal or graphite, i tend to be very pressure sensitive and use both my wrist and whole arm/shoulder depending the the area im shading.
>>
>>2652605
I can imagine your sketches without even seeing them.
>>
>>2652040
>>2652128
If you use charcoal to smudge then I recommend cutting an eraser at an angle and using that to smudge it with, rather than tp
>>
>>2652001
This drawing is by Steve Huston.

If you get a subscription to NMA (I know that's asking a lot for people here, to pay for quality instruction when they can just collect .pdfs that they're never going to use) you can watch hours of his instruction, and see his drawing process.

For the initial lay in he seems to, more often than not, use a paper stump and charcoal powder so that he's not gouging into the paper or inadvertently creating a really dark line. He then starts to place the core shadow with a piece of compressed charcoal that is very soft. He then uses a paper towel to blend the core shadow in moving into the area that is in shadow. He will also use the paper towel to blend in the half tone. If he wants to make the half tone lighter, he will make the core shadow darker rather than taking away tone with an eraser.
>>
>>2652207
>is it just me or is the left asscheek a meter long
>>2652212
>i mean the right

The model is leaning/moving to the left, so the left ass cheek is compressed and the right is stretched.

>>2652289
Like I typed here

>>2654834

from what I've seen of his videos of his process, he doesn't use charcoal pencils all that often. He's using a compressed charcoal type of material that goes on like pastel.
>>
>>2654834
>I know that's asking a lot for people here, to pay for quality instruction when they can just collect .pdfs that they're never going to use

Boom roasted
>>
>>2654834
This. He also does- indeed- use his finger. Can't speak for OPs drawing in particular, but he smudges lots of tones and lines like those with his fingers throughout his NMA videos.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.