[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of this standard rate for commissions of drawfags

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

File: Untitled-12w.jpg (991KB, 1266x4524px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-12w.jpg
991KB, 1266x4524px
What do you think of this standard rate for commissions of drawfags around 4chan?

Do you think they're ruining the market?
>>
How do you even decide commision rate when starting off?
>>
>shilling yourself this hard
>>
The question is how often do they actually get work.
>>
>>2650643
>ruining the market

To even suggest that this is even a "market" is outstandingly naive.
>>
File: 1470537232038.png (142KB, 490x290px) Image search: [Google]
1470537232038.png
142KB, 490x290px
>>2650643
>kyle charges $80 for a full color
>woah that's kinda expensive
>look at the rest of the scrubs in the pic
>oh
>>
All of them are undercharging themselves except for the last person. Especially Myro and SETZ.
>>
>>2650660
if you think that's undercharging, you should see the rates in asia
>>
>>2650643
>availability: all day, every day
Kek
>>
>>2650660
If people try to charge reasonable rates there is always that one guy who works for peanuts.
>>
>>2650671
>>2650660
drawing isn't that hard. many people can draw much much better than all of /ic/ and do requests for free.
>>
>>2650655
>$80
>kinda expensive
>>
>>2650672

Nothing wrong with requests so as long as you don't spend more than 15 minutes on it.
>>
Recently set up commissions, I tried to set up rates with some thoughts to what would be a survivable hourly wage, but I guess that's too high..?
>>
>>2650721
Does that mean you're not getting work or are poorfags just rushing you
>>
>>2650721
thdark suffers from the lack of commissions all the time
He also draws for $30 now.
>>
>>2650645
Look at how long it usually takes you to draw and then charge something that you'd be ok with spending that time for, and never go under that no matter what.
If you want to look at what people of similar skill level are charging as a way to measure what you can get away with charging then ok, but do that to see if you're undercharging as it is.
Like, say you think you're comparable to some retard charging 20 dollars. That doesn't mean you have to charge that low. 20 dollars for even 3 hours of work is not a good exchange.
>>
>>2650728
Not getting anything.

It's like 60$ for an illustration, since it takes about 5-6 hours to do neatly, but I guess thats too high after all?
>>
File: feelsmadman.jpg (11KB, 191x205px) Image search: [Google]
feelsmadman.jpg
11KB, 191x205px
>le kawaii shit
>there is NO market for a genuine artist in a realistic style who's just trying to practice and get better and make some money while doing it
>>
>>2650734
the guy that charges $80 per commission in the op pic takes about 48 man hours to finish one commission.
>>
>>2650744
>48 hours
You might as well work at Starbucks at that point and make a regular $400 check.
>>
>>2650744
>48 man hours
>for one commission
Haha what? Tell him to go back and work on speed, because that's slow as shit. Not even minimum wage.
>>
>>2650749
>wanting to deal with people
Would take being underpaid instead of death by interaction.
>>
>>2650734
Your price is already on the low side, no need to go lower. If you're not getting commissions it's generally because you're not good enough or no one heard about you. Since we're probably talking about anime weeb stuff the skill argument is not immensely relevant. I assume you're ok on that end for what you want to charge, so maybe you're just relatively unknown? You need a few thousand followers on whatever your main platform is. If you're in the hundreds that won't cut it.

>>2650754
Don't do commissions then. People are a mixed bag and for every good client you'll also get a massive asshole.
>>
>>2650754
I agree with you but if you take 48 hours per order you need to consider upping your speed because that is a days pay for weeks worth of work and barely national average.
>>
>>2650755
Around ~1500. I guess I'll just do more fanart and stuff like that to get more followers.

Thanks for the help everyone
>>
File: a_little_upset.jpg (40KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
a_little_upset.jpg
40KB, 900x900px
>artist not depending on art thinks it's a sign of goodwill to charge laughable prices
>normies think that's how art works
>fulltime artists starve
Well done faggots.
>>
>>2650766
This desu. The fact that Kyle spends 48 hours for 80$ with his level of skill (he should be able to do them faster tho..) sets a really high (or low) expectation for prices/amount of time spent on a commission.
>>
>>2650766
Normies will always haggle prices with artists, that's just how art has always been.
>>
>>2650770
They're still retarded. If you're getting paid for it then it's no longer a hobby, it's work. Just a shitty part time job where you're getting extremely underpaid yet the client will still feel entitled to boss you around because he put money down for it. I doubt people charging these prices keep at it for long because sooner or later they will find themselves in a situation where the fun is over yet they're not paid enough to justify the work.
>>
>>2650770
>several 15 year old kids in japan are already god tier animators and mangakas
not true in the slightest
>>
>>2650770

Can't tell if intentionally dumb or not. 6/10 bait.
>>
>>2650799
He was 17 not 14, and while it's impressive it's not like he was god-tier. That manga just got him a spot as an assistant on an obscure unpopular manga. This also happened decades ago an he's the currently the most successful manga artist of all time so his story is a bit of an outlier to choose when saying there are several people like that now.
>>
Do you guys think that saying no to commissions put people off? i don't want to take commissions right now because
work at this season is busy but maybe i would want to at some point in the future so i never made a blog.
>>
None of these artists are undercharging, per se. They're charging the maximum rate for their market. The only people who buy kawaii sketches of their ocs or rule34 of cartoon characters are independent patrons who have no interest in using the work commercially, but just want a personal sketch of their character. These people can't afford to pay more than $30-$100 tops. Most of them won't pay more than $20, in my experience, and will feel like they're paying you top dollar at that rate.

If you're an artist and you're catering to this market, you're stupid. These people don't have money to spend on your product, and besides, this market is over-saturated because the skill threshold for entry is so low. The competition is way too high and the compensation is way too low.

This is why every single pro will tell you to figure out what market you want to work in and target your portfolio to that. Decide if you want to be a photobasher/modeller who does realistic concept art for AAA games, or you want to make stylized, cartoony stuff so you can do concept art for mobile games/animations, or you want to do card/book cover illustration, ect. Do NOT just draw and hope that your market finds you. Research and find what jobs actually exist, and target your work to match the needs of those clients.

tl;dr: there's no money in independent commissions. These guys are charging the max rates their market will allow.
>>
>>2650643
>>2650651
>>2650655
>>2650660
>>2650669
>>2650671
>>2650673
>>2650766
this kills the stephen silver
>>
>>2650771
Haggling is fine, but clients expecting the price to be more or less symbolic is damaging the art community as a whole.
>8 hours of work indoors
>$30, gee it's just a hobby are you trying to rip me off
>>
>>2650808
I've noticed people will say things like "please let me know when you're open" Or "I'll watch you and hope you open soon" I've never seen anyone be upset that you aren't open. It might make them want your shit even more.
>>
>>2650643
Just goes to show that just because you have skill in something doesn't mean you're a good businessperson.

None of these people are charging appropriately.

The last dude isn't making remotely close to a living wage, he needs to stop taking $15 per shitty drawing and focus on becoming competent.
>>
>>2650812
>If you're an artist and you're catering to this market, you're stupid.
>These people don't have money to spend on your product
>The competition is way too high and the compensation is way too low.
>Do NOT just draw and hope that your market finds you.
Wow, someone on /ic/ who actually gets it.
>>
>>2650862
No not upset them but rather forget about you because you're one of those artists that never does commissions, anyway i am probably going to
make one just for the heck of it.
>>
File: 1425275279106.png (78KB, 270x350px) Image search: [Google]
1425275279106.png
78KB, 270x350px
>>2650877
This is unfortunately true.
>>
>>2650884

Back from your 3 day ban already, mal?
>>
>>2650812
I've been in this market in the past with 1/4 the skill, and was able to charge 3x their rates. In fact there are several artists who are less skilled than them catering to the same market who charge more. They just aren't always easy to find because it's saturated with beginners charging pennies.

I mean, you REALLY think the "My room has 100 different anime girls figurines + six body pillows" fuckos don't have money? Even the children- whose parents give them money to burn on their shitty MMO's CAN afford more than this.
>>
>>2650894
I make $800 month. You're cute when you get angry.
>>
>>2650891
>I mean, you REALLY think the "My room has 100 different anime girls figurines + six body pillows" fuckos don't have money?
In comparison to other commercial markets? It's still chump change. The benefit to the individual commission market is that it's easier to break into, but it's not nearly as rewarding in pay and doesn't lead to anything greater in terms of business.
>>
I can't tell if a big section of people on this board are just naive kids or live in the slums of some asian third world country. I'm genuinely shocked how people on a art board are defending some frankly outrageously low rates.
>>
>>2650899
So? Of course individual people are never going to pay as much as professional studios. But that doesn't change the fact that you can make make far above minimum wage just on freelance work, if you're good and know how to market yourself, regardless of genre.
>>
>>2650906
Creepy stalker boyfriend of his, idc.
>>
>>2650914
>So?
So it's not worth getting invested in. It's not worth pandering to that particular market. It should only be a side thing if you bother to do it at all.
>>
File: whatyouwanttodo.png (305KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
whatyouwanttodo.png
305KB, 500x384px
>>2650932
>>
>>2650643
On a related note, how do commission artist usually handle the exchange of art for money in a safe and trustworthy manner?
>>
>>2651341
Money first even before the sketch in paypal is the only real safeway, there have been many cases where people just took the sketch and run.
>>
>>2651348
When I was a young teenager I worked as a caricature artist at a theme park, and some guy in a wheelchair literally tried to steal a caricature

listen to this anon and don't trust anyone
>>
File: 1471624724034.jpg (94KB, 1004x688px) Image search: [Google]
1471624724034.jpg
94KB, 1004x688px
>>2650924
>https://warosu.org/ic/thread/S2641739#p2644515
Never believe Malaysia lies. He's king of samefaging
>>
>>2650738
Nobody but other artists care about how hard it was to draw, and normies realize that a camera could do realism infinitely better then you can.
>>
>>2650766
>fulltime artists starve
Good, something like a full time artist should not exist in the first place.
>>
>>2651361
jesus why isn't he banned yet? The mods here are terrible.
>>
File: 1384276418002.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1384276418002.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>>2651457
At least they know about him. He can't link his blog on 4chan anymore.
>>
>>2650738
In digital art-weeb world of course not

Try real life
>>
>>2651348
>carrying about a minute sketch from all my practice of thumbnails
Well, whatever.
>>
>>2651575
To get into the digital-art weeb world, will I have to post about my favorite animu and stuff or something? I'm not sure how to do this and get followers. I need a tumblr too right? Twitter? Patreon?
>>
>>2650643
Advertising is agaisnt the rules.
And tell your mother to wear something nice next time I come over and have her polish my knob you malaysian rat.
>>
>>2650771
ask that to fucking Medici.
>>
>>2650895

Mal pls.
>>
Why is the last guy on the list? He's pretty bad
>>
>>2651341
the only sure way is having your clients pay in full first.
>>
>>2651892
Not to mention $15 for that garbage?
Looks like it'd be better to commission that Setz guy if you're being that cheap.
>>
>>2651455
That's the stupidest shit this board has heard in a while.
Thousands of fulltime artists are working right now so that we can all have more movies, books and games as well as tutorials and new techniques to push the boundaries of quality art.
>>
>>2651974
Self-indulgence (vide "pushing the boundaries of quality art") is fine if that's what you want to do with your life, building the industry around it is fine too as long as there are people willing to buy the products of said industry. Feeling entitled to be paid for your self-indulgence just because you are stroking your ego (i.e. "making art") is wrong and degenerate. At least be really good at it if you're not providing anything essential for the society or do it for free.

The same goes for music and literature.

Fucking "artists", find yourselves a real job if your skills aren't up to par.
>>
It doesn't take Kyle hours 48 to do a commission more like 5-8 hours
>>
>>2652019
>entertainment is not essential for the society
>le degenerate maymay
back to /pol/

also lol @ deleted posts
>>
>>2652019
Mikufag pls go and stay go.
>>
>>2651475
what's his blog
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.